Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Zwan? Where's the hype?

Old 01-23-03, 01:23 PM
Banned

Zwan? Where's the hype?

The Zwan album comes out in 5 days and there's no hype for it at all in this forum! Radiohead's album is 5 months away and there's already a two page thread about it.
Spoiler:
Oh yeah, I started it, lol.

Anyone else looking forward to the Zwan album?
Old 01-23-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Did you see the review for the album in the newest Rolling Stones, not that I give their reviews much credit, but I believe it was the highest rated album in the issue. I believe it was 4 out of 5 stars. There was also a nice writeup on it (2 pages) and they actually gave the band some props. A cool thing to hear.

This won't be a commercial success, but I for one am happy for it coming out. Anything Corgan related is great, plus I miss the pumpkins.
Old 01-23-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looking forward to hearing it, and watch the bonus DVD. I preferred the straight ahead rock of the earlier pumpkins work and Zwan's first single "honestly" is more reminiscent of that era.
Old 01-23-03, 01:58 PM
Suspended

I'm definetly gonna check it out.... I just hope Paz has some time for APC.
Old 01-23-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard 3 songs and, honestly (no pun), I feel a little betrayed. I was hoping for more substance...especially since creative geniuses like Billy Corgan and David Pajo are working on this. Out of what I've heard, the sound is pretty generic.

However, I know I can't make a sound judgement without hearing the album first so I'm definitely going to check it out. I'm just wary and not overly excited.
Old 01-23-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forget hype, concentrate on the music.
Old 01-23-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've listened to the whole thing and I can definitely say it's worth a purchase. The only song I'm not big on so far is the 14min Jesus song.
Other than that, great album....just gotta decide whether i wanna spend the extra cash for the Limited Edition on Tuesday or not.
Old 01-23-03, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by fallow
I've heard 3 songs and, honestly (no pun), I feel a little betrayed. I was hoping for more substance...especially since creative geniuses like Billy Corgan and David Pajo are working on this. Out of what I've heard, the sound is pretty generic.

However, I know I can't make a sound judgement without hearing the album first so I'm definitely going to check it out. I'm just wary and not overly excited.
First off, nobody take this as me passing final judgement on zwan, or not looking forward to the cd..

Fallow, I agree with you. I've heard every song off the album in some form or another. Seen them in concert several times over the summer, and prob have the marjority of shows on boot. I've yet to be that impressed... Picking the cd up is still a nobrainer, and it very well may grow on me, but I'm not nearly as excited w the sound as I was with the pumpkins stuff, earlier and later.

I love the old stuff of the pumpkins, and really actually enjoy the newer stuff too. I'll admit it, I liked adore, and machina was a cool cd in my book too..

With Zwan I hoped for it to be an entirely different sound, and if not that, in par with the pumpkins stuff. After listening to zwan for quite some time, I just feel it's sorta been dummied down, in hopes of attracting a larger audience. Not saying it's a bad thing (a larger audience would be good, would love to see corgan and them get their rightfully deserved credit), it's just not what I was hoping for.

That being said, I didn't hope the pumpkins would break up either, but I did get lucky and attended both of their final shows, the last at the metro being amazing. So I made the best out of the situation. I will with this too, even if this music isn't my favorite to date, I will gladly listen to it over 99% of what else that's out there.

Last edited by SpaceBoy; 01-23-03 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-23-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally heard the first single, I will be picking this up.
Old 01-23-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is the single? I wanna check it out...
Old 01-23-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The single is "Honestly."

I'm sure the album will be fine and all, it doesn't seem like anything special from what I've heard of it.
Old 01-23-03, 04:31 PM

Cool, just off the phone with one of my friends. He might have an extra ticket to see Zwan tonight at the Metro, that would be cool.

To be fair, that single out "Honestly" is one of their worst songs in my opinion.
Old 01-23-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The shows at the Metro have been long sold out.

But I keep getting e-mails about "small quantities of tickets available" from them ...
Old 01-24-03, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I wasn't much of a Smashing Pumpkins fan at all (I liked a few of their first songs, but nothing after that) but I loved the single. Had heard about this band and totally forgot about them until I caught the video on MTV tonight. Now I am thinking of actually buying the CD this week. But can anybody tell me what the DVD content is on the limited edition version? Trying to figure that out to decide which one to buy if I go ahead and take the plunge.
Old 01-24-03, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Why not just call it Smashing Pumpkins Version 2.0

I dislike billy for his little view on how bands like NIN, Nirvana and others of the time didn't live up to the "revolution" of music yet Smashing pumpkin's other albums fell short.
Old 01-24-03, 12:17 PM

Didn't end up getting to the show last night, his "extra" ticket was given to his girlfriend for some reason.

Anybody know if bestbuy is gonna have the one w the dvd? I look on the website, and they have one for 14.99, one for 11.99, but the product desc is the exact same.
Old 01-24-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, in the DVD Bargains forum I asked the same question and apparently they said 'yes' and listed the same prices you mentioned.

I seriously doubt the extra DVD will even be worth 3bucks extra.
Hopefully CC will have it a little cheaper so I can price match and use up my BB gift card.
Old 01-26-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

KMART Price if you have one near you. This is the cheapest I've seen with DVD.

The Limited Edition/Bonus DVD version includes a DVD featuring 35 minutes of behind-the-scenes footage from the album's recording sessions and an interview with each band member.
Old 01-27-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guess I'm heading to K-Mart tomorrow.
Old 01-28-03, 12:03 AM

Where is second cheapest besides K-Mart? (none nearby). CC is $13.99
Old 01-28-03, 02:08 AM

Well, I'm excited. Especially since I went to Saturday's Zwan concert at Metro.

In the words of Comic Book Guy: "Best. Show. Ever." And I think everyone else at the concert would agree; it was obvious that everyone was enthralled.

While I would have agreed about the 14 minute title track not being my favorite, they opened the show with it and it was incredible.
Old 01-28-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This CD gets better with every listen. It's incredible.
Old 01-28-03, 09:10 AM
Cool New Member

FYI... The Kmart I went to got three copies of the album in, and none of them had the DVD.
Old 01-28-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watching the DVD now...pretty cool. 48khz PCM track.
Old 01-28-03, 01:17 PM

How much is on the dvd, had to go to a few places to finally find one. Will have to watch it when I get done with work.

Am happy to admit, I like the cd better then I thought I would. I had seen them several times, and was never overly impressed, but they sound much more together on this, then what I remember. My friend went to the metro show the other day, and said they really are sounding great compared to when we had heard them earlier. Glad to see Corgan and company back

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.