Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Nine Inch Nails Appreciation Thread

Old 12-30-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nine Inch Nails Appreciation Thread

I have been listening to "Suck" over and over and I can't get over how great it is. I think Reznor is the dopest producer in music today. Can't wait for new material.

A thousand lips a thousand tongues
A thousand throats a thousand lungs
A thousand ways to make it true
I want to do terrible things to you
Old 12-30-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1st album... great great great album

2nd album... tuneless, unmelodic piece of crap

Last edited by GuessWho; 12-30-02 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-30-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by GuessWho
1st album... great great great album

2nd album... tuneless, unmelodic piece of crap
You didn't like "Broken"?
Old 12-30-02, 04:31 PM
Suspended

I'm interested to see how Trent and the Tapeworm project work out, should be very interesting.
Old 12-30-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<-- anxiously awaiting GuessWho's polysyllabic review of "The Fragile"

Old 12-30-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grunter
<-- anxiously awaiting GuessWho's polysyllabic review of "The Fragile"
can't review something i haven't heard
Old 12-30-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That #99 song on one of the CD's, good stuff
Not sure what the title is
Old 12-31-02, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very disappointed with The Fragile, but loved everything else up to that.

Pretty Hate Machine is on my top 10 albums of all time, and The Downward Spiral isn't far behind.

Broken took awhile to grow on me, but it now has a place in my heart. I go back and forth on which one i like more, Broken or it's companion EP, Fixed.

After waiting all those many years for The Fragile to come out, and it being a huge letdown for me, I'm no longer eagerly awaiting future stuff from Mr. Reznor.

I haven't given up all hope though; maybe he can win me back.
Old 12-31-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hello, and welcome to 1994.
Old 01-02-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Hello, and welcome to 1994.
Hello and welcome to who cares about when the band was "popular"?

Personally, I think that "Pretty Hate Machine" is far and away "their" best album. "The Downward Spiral" had some excellent tracks but is a lot more difficult to listen to - for me anyway. Though I must say that the short instrumental "A Warm Place" is definitely my favourite NiN track.

"The Fragile" just never clicked with me. It's a landscape of blaaaahhhh that lacked a lot of energy.

All that being said, I've always felt that Nine Inch Nails were just pale imitations of the much more inventive Skinny Puppy. YMMV of course!

-matt
Old 01-02-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love Broken, my favorite NIN album. I stopped listening to them after Downward Spiral, I think it was a combination of being off the radar and my tastes changing.
Old 01-03-03, 03:33 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
Love Broken, my favorite NIN album. I stopped listening to them after Downward Spiral, I think it was a combination of being off the radar and my tastes changing.
Pretty much sums things up for me as well. I love Broken, Wish is one of my all time favorite songs.

I had heard Head Like a Hole off of Pretty Hate Machine before the close of the '80s, but I wasn't yet at a place in my life where I could truly appreciate it. When Downward Spiral came out, I was in my freshman year of college. It was my gateway album as I rediscovered Pretty Hate Machine and later discovered Broken. I soon became a collector of all Halos.

Too many years came between Downward Spiral and The Fragile. I was at a different place in my life, bought it because I felt an obligation to, and only listened to it a couple of times. Had a chance to see a concert in April of 2000, over 5 years after the first NIN concert I went to. Then my collection sat lonely for awhile. When I had some time to kill before my flight out of New Orleans in March of 2001, I drove to the Garden District and walked down his street. I knew that Anne Rice lives next door, and her limo was even parked out front(had a vampirish license plate that I can't remember now).

When And All That Could Have Been came out last year, I had to have both the Limited Edition CD and DVD. It was awesome to watch a DVD of a tour I had seen a show of, and to finally have a non-bootleg live album. I kept the live disc in my car player for at least a month.

I hope something worthwhile comes out of this tapeworm thing.
Old 01-03-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone else have the small 3" companion CD that came with Broken? It contains the two bonus songs Suck and Physical. On later releases, they included these songs on track 98 and 99 but the original release came on two discs. Pretty cool.
Old 01-03-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by raithen
All that being said, I've always felt that Nine Inch Nails were just pale imitations of the much more inventive Skinny Puppy.
I'll check them out.

As far as "The Fragile" goes, I love it. I don't even think it should've been trimmed to a single album.

There are a few tracks I usually skip, but overall I think it's a great album. I love everything they've done. All different, and all interesting.

Originally posted by sherm42
Anyone else have the small 3" companion CD that came with Broken? It contains the two bonus songs Suck and Physical. On later releases, they included these songs on track 98 and 99 but the original release came on two discs. Pretty cool.
That's what I have. I would actually prefer just to have it all on one CD so I don't have to switch. But the mini-CDs are cool.