Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Phish "Round Room"

Old 12-10-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phish "Round Room"

So, what does everyone think of the new album?

I've had it for a few days now, so I've had some time to digest it. I like it. A lot. In fact, right now, the only Phish studio discs I think are better are Rift and Junta. I love how loose the disc is...they're just playing and having fun. There's even a few audible mistakes (including a lyric flub by Trey I notice every time I listen to "Mexican Cousin"). The album has an energy and a spontaneity that's been sorely lacking in most of their studio discs...even the extended jams sound great, and Phish hasn't pulled off a good studio jam since they recorded Junta (in my opinion anyway).

Standout tracks:
"Pebbles and Marbles" I've loved this tune since I heard Trey do it this summer, and Phish's version is great, if not necessarily superior to Trey's "solo" version.
"Mexican Cousin" Probably the most lighthearted song on the disc. Fun lyrics and a fun song.
"Seven Below" Good lord, will this song be incredible live.
"46 Days" Another one that seems like it will be incredibly energetic live. This was my favorite tune the first time I heard the cd.

The low points (which aren't even all that low):
"All of These Dreams" Has Phish ever sounded more like the Grateful Dead? The answer (in my opinion) is "no." I've never heard a Phish track before that immediately made me think: Jerry. This one does. Enjoyable song, but bands usually leave tracks this derivative off of their albums, don't they?
"Round Room" Also a decent song, but again, it's derivative. I've heard tons of people describe the String Cheese Incident as "Phish-lite". If that's the case, why does Phish feel the need to record a track that sounds exactly like Phish covering SCI (or SCI covering Phish...take your pick)?
Old 12-11-02, 10:49 AM

Had no idea it was out, on my way to pick it up now. Also looking forward to seein em on SNL and Letterman. Thanks.
Old 12-11-02, 05:36 PM

Re: Phish "Round Room"

Unfortunately I don't care for it that much. While there are some good jams the songs seem pretty bland to me. Nothing jumps out and makes me go "Whoa!"

Some of the songs seem pretty disjointed as well, with distinct parts that don't really flow into each other (Walls of the Cave for one)

Hopefully that makes sense...
Old 12-12-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, walls of the cave could easily be 2 different 5-minute songs..

i don't dig it, though i've only listened to it all the way through once... i give it a 4/10 on my first listen.. a lot of jams that don't go anywhere, and a lot of trey singing notes that he can't really hit...

that said, we all know that live is a totally different story, so we'll have to see..
Old 12-12-02, 11:41 PM

I love the album. IMO, Phish has done well with 3 of their last 4 albums (Story of the Ghost being the exception). It hasn't left my CD player at work all week.

I was lucky to recieve 5th row center for Worcester in February. Can't wait.
Old 12-13-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

damn, congrats on those tix, axp...

i scored 8 tix for NC this morning.. hoping to use 6 of those for trading for whatever i don't end up with tomorrow...

good luck to those of you going for tix tomorrow morning.
Old 12-13-02, 11:03 PM

I second mkdevo's "good luck for tix" wish and am so glad that I won't need to be trying tomorrow. Ended up lucky enough to get tix to both Vegas shows. And I do stress the word "lucky."

...and AXP, I completely agree. 3 of the past 4 Phish albums have been great, and Story of the Ghost is a huge exception. Right now, I'm loving Round Room more each time I hear it. Unfortunately, almost everyone I've spoken to hates the album, which I just don't understand. I really do think it's their best disc since Rift.
Old 12-13-02, 11:31 PM

Like the new album, but none touch Lawn Boy or Billy Breathes. My two faves of all times.
Old 12-14-02, 01:24 AM

mkdevo and Gdrlv- Thanks. I also landed a pair for Long Island, but no where near as good (200 section, right next to Page's side of the stage). If you guys go, give me a holler and maybe we can meet up before or after.

The guys I work with, and I work in pretty straight laced office, have given the new CD thumbs up from what they have heard. And the reviews kill me, this band can never get an unabashed "This album is outstanding!" review for whatever reason. No offense to Mr. Bob Dylan, but his most recent album was given very high marks by Rolling Stone, and I just didn't see it.

Phish, which is pigeon holed as a band that is better live vs. studio, would have to come out with the seminal album of the decade to garner higher than 4 stars. And I am not a blind Phish freak. I always am apprehensive when their new albums come out, but have found myself to be very pleasantly surprised by their results.

Kudos to Phish, and I hope another 15 years if collaboration awaits them.
Old 12-14-02, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by AXP 103
mkdevo and Gdrlv- Thanks. I also landed a pair for Long Island, but no where near as good (200 section, right next to Page's side of the stage). If you guys go, give me a holler and maybe we can meet up before or after.
Unfortunately, I'll only be doing the Vegas shows this tour. The professional world has caught up with me in the last two years, and I can't drop everything anymore...

Will any of you be in Vegas? Right now, it's looking like my Saturday will be Phish then Particle (a band from LA that I highly recommend checking out). Sunday will be Phish then moe.
Old 12-14-02, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DAMMMMMMMMMIIIITTTTTTT!!!

Again I got shut out.

No tix for me in Chicago.

Looks like I'll have to go to a scalper.

I HATE ****ING TICKETMASTER!!!!!
Old 12-14-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, i made out ok this morning.. only one i completely got shut out of was Nassau (congrats AXP), and i'm in need of 1 more worcester ticket.

here's my rundown:

Yesterday:

Greensboro (tickets.com) - scored 8 tickets.. 2 for me, 6 for trade bait for other shows.

Today:

9am:

Jersey - buddy of mine went to tower records in jersey, scored 4 tix in SEC 244. i later picked up 1 in SEC 119 from tm.com; so i have 2 extras here to trade.

10am:

Philly (ticketmaster.com) - scored 2 tix in SEC 311 (yuck)

Cincy (night 2) (ticketmaster.com) - having scored ONLY night 1 thru PTBM, i needed this one. scored 2 in SEC 124.

Worcester (ticketmaster.com) - could NOT get thru. however, a friend of mine in worcester went to the box office this morning just for me, and got the LAST single ticket they sold there! so she was only able to get me 1, and now i need another. SEC 120.

12pm:

Nassau (ticketmaster.com) - couldn't get thru. no tickets. sucks, because my original plan was to head to the box office after work yesterday and do the camp-out thing (since i was told on the phone they were NOT doing a lottery), but i decided not to because of rain. hopefully i can get a trade for 2 tix for Nassau with some of my extras...

...and now the quest for TAPERS tickets for all these shows begins, because i'd really like to get my rig in.. and the only one i'm guaranteed right now is NC because it's GA... ugh.

btw - i gave RR 3 good listens today, and have to say that my original 4/10 was quite harsh, but i can see why i gave it that with only one listen.. i like a lot of the songs on there, while there are only a few i dislike.. it gets a high 7.5 now...

but imo, it doesn't touch a hair on rift's ass.