Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

why does Weezer suck so much now?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, the first 2 albulms were amazing..... lately they seem so commerical and popish... i cant even listen to them anymore. the last decent song they made was island in the sun..maybe dope nose. and maladroit isnt even something i could listen to.....

rant on!
Old 12-10-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Weezer has always been commercial pop music.

The changes that I don't like:

1. Lazy lyrics - humorless and generic
2. Lazy music - cheesey riff rock

It seems to me Weezer ditched what made them stand apart (to me at least) from their contemporaries. I still like them, but I don't find them particularly relevant like I used to.
Old 12-10-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

well...i was ok with them until i found out that Rivers was going to be on the new Limp Bizkit album. that ended it.
Old 12-10-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, could it be that maybe they lost their precious cult status - and thereby their "hip cachet?"

That would seem to be the case from where I stand.

Once the cult of "Pinkerton" was inundated by all the alt-rock kiddies who came out of the woodwork for the Green album - suddenly you read all these posts about how much Weezer sucked.
Old 12-10-02, 05:44 PM
Banned

Grunter, that is possible but it is also possible that they ditched their unique style of music to make commercial pop-rock. Just a possibility.
Old 12-10-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by BenFolds
Grunter, that is possible but it is also possible that they ditched their unique style of music to make commercial pop-rock. Just a possibility.
Their first album is completely "commercial pop-rock"

I usually find anyone that is a huge fan of pinkerton, thinks they suck now. The rest of us still love them
Old 12-10-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So once a band becomes popular to more than their original fans (like me) it means they are commercial and suck? WTF ever.
Old 12-10-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wait a sec:
imo. their first albulm while poppish, was a good new nerdy band thing going

their second albulm wasnt half as commerical and therefore flopped , but was damn good

the green albulm had one good song: island in the sun, the rest of them sucked

maladroit had dope nose.... and it sucked otherwise
Old 12-10-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Pshaw. There's no different at all between the styles of the "Blue" album and "Green" album to me. Both solid fun commercial pop rock. Perhaps the possibility that the listener has changed their tastes rather than the band suddenly 'sucks' needs to be considered.
Old 12-10-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way there's other words than "sucked" than can be used to form a critical opinion. Explore some of them. It'll make posts much more interesting to read.
Old 12-10-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pshaw?
its definetly a different sound... theres no doubt in my mind.

maybe you still like them and i still just like the blue album and pinkerton... good for u
Old 12-11-02, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I think Maladroit is their second best album. After Pinkerton, of course.
Old 12-11-02, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dunno, let's be honest, when compared to Blue and Pinkerton, Green and Maladroit are pretty weak. I had Maladroit on the other day, yeah it's decent, but as someone said, it is all lazy lyrics and power chords for the sake of nothing. Yes we are all spoiled by the first two, but there is something definetly lacking in these past two albums.
Old 12-11-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

maybe you're just getting old!
Old 12-11-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For one who thoroughly enjoyed their debut album, I thought every subsequent album paled in comparison. I didn't think "Pinkerton" had the vocal harmonies the first album had, nor the musical substance.

After "Pinkerton," Rivers went away to college to learn stuff, then returned after graduating to record music. Damn smart move, if you ask me, since his post-college albums lack any sort of longevity - at least he can fall back on his college degree. I heard the two radio tracks from the green album, and they were just okay to me. I wasn't prompted to run out and buy the album.

His 1994 debut album will stand as his best for me.
Old 12-11-02, 01:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I love the Green album, although I think the first five songs are better than the latter five. It took me a few listens to Maladroit to get into, but once I was, I actually enjoyed it more than Green.
Old 12-11-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
There's no different at all between the styles of the "Blue" album and "Green" album to me. Both solid fun commercial pop rock. Perhaps the possibility that the listener has changed their tastes rather than the band suddenly 'sucks' needs to be considered.
Much of the appeal of Weezer was that their lyrics weren't the run-of-the-mill love song lyrics, they seemed more personal (butterfly, the good life, buddy holly), and also touched on other themes like family strife (say it ain't so), nerd alienation (in the garage), etc.

It seems that with Green and Maladroit they decided to rawk and simply inserted bland, generic boy-meets girl / boy-loses-girl lyrics. It's not the sound that's changed as much as it is the feeling.

My $.02

Edit: I still really like Green (not so much Maladroit), but I put it in the mindless pop category, rather than the essential listening category that Blue is in.
Old 12-11-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And why would Weezer name their third album "Weezer," when their first album was named "Weezer?" Who do they think they are? Seal? (yes, he named two albums Seal)
Old 12-11-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or Peter Gabriel... He named his first three albums "Peter Gabriel."
Old 12-11-02, 02:05 PM

Weezer sucks now because they have become rock stars, instead of being the guys rocking out in their garage listening to Kiss and playing D&D they have become rock stars. the blue album and pinkerton were great but everything after i find horrible. i want the old weezer back..
Old 12-11-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I am wierd. I like the Blue album, Pinkerton, and the Green album. I have yet to pic, up Maladroit.
Old 12-11-02, 04:59 PM
Banned

If you think that Blue is as commercial as Green, you don't know what commercial means.
Old 12-11-02, 05:28 PM

Well, I actually like all four albums, but for me, each has been a little less good than the one previous.

Possibly it is because Matt Sharp left the band out of creative differences after Pinkerton. He then formed the Rentals. IMHO, Friends of P from the first Rentals album is almost as good as some of the stuff from the 1st two albums.

just an idea
Old 12-11-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Meatpants might be right: there isn't a whole heck of a lot of emotional attachment to River's lyrics these days...Is that a voluntary decision? He was quite disconcerted about how personally 'Pinkertonheads' took that album, that maybe the abstraction is purposefull, either way, musically, these last two haven't been strong, they are TOO earnestly poppy...And Weezer was never an underground, emo band either...As for me and others getting too old? I remember when Weezer hit the national scene and now almost 25, that may be a theory, it just sort of hard to see great musicians and songwriters sort of just go through the motions---I think the heart is there on on their part, it is not just connecting with a lot of us.
Old 12-11-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I love em all!

Why? Because I don't pick over my music with a fine-tooth comb. Some of you may do that, and that's fine. However, I really don't care if the lyrics are deep and the guitars are solid. I don't need spiritual healing through my music. I need something that sounds good -- something that all four Weezer albums do for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.