Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

why does Weezer suck so much now?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

why does Weezer suck so much now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Meatpants
Much of the appeal of Weezer was that their lyrics weren't the run-of-the-mill love song lyrics, they seemed more personal (butterfly, the good life, buddy holly), and also touched on other themes like family strife (say it ain't so), nerd alienation (in the garage), etc.

It seems that with Green and Maladroit they decided to rawk and simply inserted bland, generic boy-meets girl / boy-loses-girl lyrics. It's not the sound that's changed as much as it is the feeling.

My $.02
Your post echoes my feelings perfectly. Perhaps I got spoiled with Pinkerton. They're new stuff is enjoyable, but it's not exactly compelling...
Old 12-12-02, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Franksta
Weezer sucks now because they have become rock stars, instead of being the guys rocking out in their garage listening to Kiss and playing D&D they have become rock stars. the blue album and pinkerton were great but everything after i find horrible. i want the old weezer back..
That has to be the worst excuse for not liking a band that I have ever heard. The whole point of being in a band is to become a rock star. I hate it when a band I like doesn't move on to star status, it means that I don't get to hear new music as much. Save Ferris for example is having a hard time getting their new album out and it sucks! There was also a band I saw at a Save Ferris show called Cleaner that I really liked. Luckily I bought their cd at the show because they have not done anything since then.

Their are also bands that I don't like as much as I used to, like Green Day. Actually, I liked their first CD... who didn't? But their 2nd cd came out and I couldn't even tell any of the songs apart from the 1st one. The same goes for 311. I never could tell their songs apart. I am starting to like Green Day more these days, but I still only own Dookie.

The point is, if you don't like a band because their music, or your tastes have changed, or they made a change that you didn't like, that is fine, and you are entitled to that opinion, but to not like a band for becoming famous, the very thing that every band is trying to do, is just insane.

-CM-
Old 12-12-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, every band has a hit or miss album sometimes. Even the best of them have a clunker of an album.

A contemporary example would be The Offspring. They scored with 1994's "Smash," having hits with "Come Out And Play" and two others, then missed in 1997 with "Ixnay On The Ombray" (or something like that). In 1999, the scored with "Americana" and the hit "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)."

I have to say that I only enjoy the hits from the albums of Offspring - the rest is not very good, but it seems that if they get a radio hit, their albums go through the roof.

What I enjoyed about Weezer's first album was that, despite the fact that just "Buddy Holly" and "Say It Ain't So" was heard on the radio, I loved every track on the album. I can listen to it over and over again - it's pure ear-candy!
Old 12-12-02, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C-Mart:

1) Save Ferris split up recently.
2) Dookie was not Green Day's first album. They had a couple on Lookout Records.
Old 12-12-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was never a fan of Weezer.

But I think part of their problem may lie in the fact that Rivers Cuomo can't seem to go two days without having some sort of crisis or nervous breakdown.

Old 12-13-02, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by El Scorcho
C-Mart:

1) Save Ferris split up recently.
I really hope that you are joking! Last I heard they were shopping for someone to put out their new album. Can you supply any evidence to back this up? Save Ferris is the best live band I have ever seen, and if I don't get to see at least one more show, I am going to be very 'put out.'

-CM-
Old 12-13-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by C-Mart
I really hope that you are joking! Last I heard they were shopping for someone to put out their new album. Can you supply any evidence to back this up? Save Ferris is the best live band I have ever seen, and if I don't get to see at least one more show, I am going to be very 'put out.'

-CM-
Unfortunately, no

"Hello everyone. Let's get to the point, Save Ferris has broken up. We have broken up as of Sept.20th...Which was our last show that we agreed to play. I know I went on record saying that we were taking a long break, but that was what the band agreed we would tell everyone. So that we could fade away quietly. You don't know how bad I wanted a formal announcement, so that more people could have said goodbye, Im sorry for that.

On a brighter note, I would love to take the opportunity to thank you all for being so f@*cking supportive throughout the bands career. And I really mean that, and im sure I can speak for the whole band when I say that. We did it without radio, and without MTV, it was because of you guys! I hope the shows were fun for you as they were for me. I really had a great experience playing with the band, learned alot too. So thanks again for all the great memories,,,Save Ferris Fans are and will always be the best!!!!........."
http://www.punknews.org/article.php?sid=4464
Old 12-13-02, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Unfortunately, no

http://www.punknews.org/article.php?sid=4464

I started a Save Ferris memories thread in case anyone is interested, as I don't want to completely hijack this Weezer discussion.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...22#post3106422

-CM-
Old 12-13-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

=W= Rules.
Old 12-14-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well thanks for this thread. It made me watch all their videos on my computer. Yes Flynn, Weezer rules...indeed.
Old 12-15-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I admit I love "Pinkerton." "Pinkerton" is my all time favorite album and no other album has any where near as heavily rotated than "Pinkerton." The Blue Album is alright but some girl who is my sister's friend killed the album for she only had that and a crappy Incubus album in her car. Here is the dialogue spoken in the car:

1 INT. CAR

Chris Knudsen sits in the backseat while his sister Melissa Knudsen is in the passenger and her friend Andi Clum is driving and singing loud and annoyingly to "Say it Aint So."

Chris: Who does this song?
Andi: What?
Chris: I was wondering who does this song?
Andi: Christ, Chris, it's Weezer duh?
Chris: Hey. Hey, Andi?
Andi: What?!
Chris: Let's keep it that way.

Ha ha, classic Knudsen. Ha ha.

But anyways, I really hate the following albums past "Pinkerton" and not that the albums are poppy, they are just plain crappy and the newest material seems like they are written by high school talent show bands. They are few exceptions from the Green Album, I liked "Photograph" a little bit and from Maladroit, "Dope Nose" is alright but from those sessions, a song named "Blastoff" reminds something from the "Pinkerton" sessions like other great tracks taken off like "Devotion" or "I Just threw out the love of my dreams" which are B-sides for some of the "Pinkerton" singles, I believe. My friend John told me that "Blastoff" was going to be the first single for the newest album.

I think Weezer lost its touch when, and I will preach this until my day is done, Matt Sharp lef the band. Weezer's follow up albums should have been the Rentals' albums "Return of the Rentals" is a great predocessor to the Blue Album with pre-Pinkerton sounds and "Seven More Minutes" is an excellent predocessor to "Pinkerton", very emotional but not as raw as "Pinkerton." Check out the Rentals if you are disappointed with the newest Weezer. To show the awesomeness of the combo of Matt Sharp and Rivers Cuemo, check out the song "My head is in the sun" from the album "Seven more Minutes." Very beautiful indeed. Matt Sharp is looking for a label for the solo effort he recorded at his house. What I've heard from that, it sounds like Built to Spill's Doug Martsch's solo album which came out a few months ago.

But if you really like the pop sounds of Weezer ( I do enjoy them just not the crap from the last two albums) then check out Ozma. Sometimes might seem like a complete Weezer knock off, their album "Rock and Roll part 3" is way better than the Green Album or Maladroit and I reccomend you check out that album before getting the two eps they made before hand. If you have that "Hear you Me" cd, Ozma has a cut on their which is quite good. Also, you guys might like Radish who released a really good album in '97 or check out Radish's lead signer Ben Kweller's solo album "Sha Sha" which came out last February I believe.

Another rant on Weezer, I saw Weezer in concert last May or so and it was the first concert I got severly beaten at. I have Heavy Metal friends and they went to some heavy shows and I left unscared. I left the Weezer show with a really bad head ache from some drunk with a bloody eye who thought I was the one who punched him in the eye. BTW, the fans also booed Pete Yorn who did a much better show than Weezer anyways. I bought an autographed copy of "Pinkerton" after the show and crossed off the bassist's name, whatever the grease monkey's name is.
Old 12-16-02, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh, I heard Album 5 demos over the weekend. Booorrrrrrrrring. Weezer. Folk rockers of the future.
Old 12-16-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
That's why we have OZMA. Check them out at MP3.Com.
Old 12-16-02, 11:16 PM

weezer is different now because rivers has changed. he is older now and he said on his messageboards that he doesnt like the old weezer style anymore. he said he is ashamed of it.

also those album 5 demos will not be on album 5. they scrapped them all for new unreleased songs. although i am sure some of them will end up on it anyway, but with lots of changes.
Old 12-17-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rubix
weezer is different now because rivers has changed. he is older now and he said on his messageboards that he doesnt like the old weezer style anymore. he said he is ashamed of it.
So he can be creatively, musically and most of all lyrically unambitious and lazy? Yeah, so 'Blue' and 'Pinkerton' were full of those mixed emotions of late teenage, early twenties angst, but it had heart and emotion, no matter if it was silly, it meant something. Now, its ridiculous word phrases and abstraction that means absolutely nothing. He should be ashamed of what he is writing now. I remember the RS interview where the writer was talking about Rivers laptop with its database of songs. Well, big deal. When you write the nonsense that is the 'Green' (though, Island, Starlight, are not) and 'Maladroit' albums, it's not too hard. I and other's are ashamed of what they have become.
Old 12-17-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i actually got that rentals cd... it wasnt half bad.... just never got into it like the first 2 albulms
Old 12-21-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spaceman, checkout the 2nd Rentals album "Seven more Minutes", I liked it a lot more.