Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you value your vinyl?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Do you value your vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you value your vinyl?

This post will probably be moot for anyone under 30, but I'm curious how many of you really treasure your vinyl collections or if you just have them stashed away never to think of them again.

I have about 350 albums and they just got damaged in a friend's basement while we stored them there for a few months. I picked them up today to bring to our new house and most of them were waterlogged and muddied up a bit on the lower 1/4 of the covers. I was pretty much bummed about this because certain albums hold some sentimental value for me even though I long replaced the recordings with CD's. The records were stuck together and I ended up ripping apart some artwork I love (REM "Murmer", New Order's "Low-life" and the first Romantics disc... which is hilarious all in their red leather).

I'm thinking of recording a few songs from my fave albums that aren't available on CD and then tossing them. They are a pain to move anyway......
Old 12-04-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love collecting vinyl. What i usually do is buy the vinyl then just burn a cd of it for portable use. I like the huge layouts compared to cds. Its also fun to hunt down the vinyl you want and get a copy thats on color, or finding one thats been oop for years.
Old 12-04-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Oh, atlantamoi, that really makes me sad. I love vinyl, too.

I have a whole crapload of albums from the 80s that I bought when I was younger. I was never much a fan of cassettes, and bought most of my music on records back in the day.

So I have a nice big collection of 70s/80s metal that I cherish. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Anthrax, Megadeth, Guns'n'Roses (I have the rare Robert Williams cover, too!), among many others.

I love the sound of vinyl. It doesn't have the bass that today's CDs do, but I fully understand what people mean when they prefer vinyl to CD. It just sounds warmer and more organic than CD.

I was just listening to my record of "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" and it sounded terrific. I'd put it up against a CD any day.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-05-02 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-04-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
vinyl

Old 12-05-02, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know, two years ago I recorded a few albums to CD and I was amazed how good it sounded. Unfortunately, for some reason when I edited the WAV files to cut off the few seconds of silence at the beginning of each track it messed up the WAV track w/in the songs and I didn't notice until after I recorded a couple of discs. Urgh. I'll do it over again and skip editing off the dead moments.

I had hoped to frame some of my albums one day if I ever have a game room or basement. I'm reverting back to when I was 15!
Old 12-06-02, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I most definitely value my vinyl.

I so cherish my Black Flag - Family Man LP.

I guess my other vinyl disc, Fleetwood Mac - Rumours, is pretty sweet, too.
Old 12-10-02, 10:34 AM

700 + and I wouldn't get rid of a single one.
Old 12-11-02, 12:17 PM

1500+ and I'd hate to see even one get lost or damaged. Hey I'm 23, so I guess the under 30 doesn't hold true. At least for me that is. But I can feel your pain. I've had a few get damaged as well. Now I keep them all off the floor. Just in case!!!

modiman.
Old 12-11-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

modiman, I'm actually surprised to see you have so many ALBUMS at your age. Do you mainly have them for DJ'ing? Or are they just typical albums you like to play at home? That's really interesting.
Old 12-11-02, 12:24 PM

Both. I spin house music. But I do have alot of older albums too. Lots of original prints of Pink Floyd, SRV (every one), Kraftwerk... There's just something about vinyl that I love. Can't really pin point it though.

modiman.
Old 12-11-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, as I was putting away my records last week I kept picking up certain ones and showing my wife how cool it was to have these BIG photos. Like the Pretenders II. Nothing really special about that, but it's just a big photo of the band on the cover with no writing. I guess if someone really wanted to gather a large collection of used vinyl it would be pretty easy and cheap (at least for non-collectible stuff).