DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   I hate "nu-metal"!! [pointless rant] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/254344-i-hate-nu-metal-%5Bpointless-rant%5D.html)

Julie Walker 12-02-02 05:39 AM

woofman you summed up Metallica then & no perfectly:)

In fact while i liked the Black album as a kid(was only 11 when released).I've gotten sick of it over the years.Thats all you ever really hear from them on the radio besides the newer stuff that i just lost interest in them.

So i will never buy the Black album since you can hear the whole thing on the radio anyway that it's pointless. + the later albums besides Garage Days Inc. revisited..i will skip.

the early stuff kicks major ass though.When the rock stations play stuff from Kill Em All every rare while.I'm just blown away at how awsome & truely roaring it sounds in a thunderous,fun,fast groove.

I will definately be picking up there earlier releases sometime:)

I'm sort of a Slayer fan.Not into death/extreme metal that much. Yet do like some of Slayer's stuff..in fact i would say they are the only death metal band i like when compared to other crappier groups like Cannibal Corpse & other wannabe can't play worth a dime crap.

As for the 'nu-metal'...i can't stand it. It's for many reasons..not because it's popular.I find it funny when some people hate a group just because they are popular. I hate a group if i hate there music & just can't stand them regardless if they are mainstream or not:)

A friend of mine used to love Korn.Yet everytime a songs on the radio or they are brought up.She bitches "They suck now because they are popular..so i don't listen to them anymore!"

Well i'm not a Korn fan though have liked a couple of there songs,but not much.They sound pretty much the same to me,lol..so i don't buy the 'popular' answer for hating them,thats just a copout.

I guess she's just trying to be so cool & rebellious by not being a sao called 'trendy'or 'preppie',lol..which i find just plain retarded.

Yesturday while at the mall looking at clothes.Saw some really nice stylish sexy outfits. She was like "Wow those are hot..you'd look awsome in them..but they are to trendy for me!"...so i tell her "Who gives a **** if they're 'trendy' or not,why worry about everyone else.Just wear what you like regardless of what so call mindset says whats 'in or out'..it's up for you to decide,not them!"...& of course that got her stumped since she spends so much time trying to be 'different'..when she's coming off as more of a poser to me:)

Of course i will wear whatever i want,as long as i find it attractive,sexy,hot,comfortable..& nice to look at.It's not about trying to fit in,it's about wearing what i like & am attracted to.Very simple.

Same thing goes with music..i listen to all kinds regardless if it's 'in or out'.It all matters if i like it or not.

Just yesturday i picked up Violent Femmes Viva Wisconsin...as well as The Shangri-Las debut album.To very different but awsome kinds of music i like.

Then before that i bought some ABBA,The Bangles,AC/DC,The Doors..& tons of awsome but different types of music i'm into.

I'm sure a wannabe poser would freak out by seeing my very diverse cd collection.Yet am i being diverse for diverse sake? No just buying what i like..& will listen to years from now..rather than wasting $$ on one hit blunder's who will disapear soon enough hopefully.

Or maybe the poser would be jealous i listen to what i want..rather just following whatevers in at the moment & they would love to say '**** everyone else' & finnaly think for themselves & choose what they like & don't like regardless of what others think.Yet may be to afraid to at the moment since they spent so much time trying to be something they are not.

Anyway as for music.What i really hate are the talentless bands being tossed out there now copying whatever bands 'hip' at the moment.You have crap like New Found Glory,Mudvayne,Slipnot,Our Lady Peace(or whatever they're called)...to many Creed & Blick 182 ripoff's as well.It just becomes irritating since they all sound like crap & are obviously copying a current band.

99.9% of the crap new bands on the radio & MTV won't exist within a year or so.They were not made to last...just jump on the bandwagon for whatevers in at the moment..& worst of all have no passion for the music,which shows as they are sloppy & just boring as hell no matter how hard they try to 'appear' metal or rock or whatever.

If your going to be in a band.Play what you like,love what you play! Don't let a record company ditact your sound,songs,looks or anything. If you want to try various forms of music,go for it...but don't do it because a certain sound is in at the moment.

If i ever started a band.While it would be mainly hard rock...i would have fun with other forms of music i like based on all the bands i listen to:)

So sometimes i'd want to rock out,other times try something mellow,maybe some pop music just for kicks,oldies to loosen up..& most important just have fun with it.Rather than letting someone else say "No this is in..& you have to sound like this!"..i would say "**** that..i'm in the mood for this or that right now!"

It would be sure to drive some more hardcore music fans nuts who think if your a fan of a certain type of music,thats all you should like. Which i find very boring honestly..& why i'm open to various forms of music as long as i like it & it's something to enjoy playing/listening to:)

atlantamoi 12-02-02 06:44 AM

The only thing worse than "nu-metal" is old metal. Thank you very much.

Mazinger 12-02-02 10:07 AM

Death to false metal!

\m/ \m/

cineman 12-02-02 10:38 AM

Damn. I'm old and out of it. I always thought Ratt was Heavy Metal.

jagpanzer 12-02-02 10:55 AM

Can't get into "nu-metal" at all. I've heard most of the bands and it's not something I want to listen to.

Give me classic Iron Maiden anyday!

Mark

Mazinger 12-02-02 11:32 AM

Originally posted by cineman
Damn. I'm old and out of it. I always thought Ratt was Heavy Metal.
By 80's standard. Yes.

Now, it's probably country. :D

-picturing Shania Twain singing Round and Round-

benedict 12-02-02 11:48 AM

Re: Re: I hate "nu-metal"!! [pointless rant]

Originally posted by candyrocket786
<A HREF="http://www.blackmoresnight.com/index2.htm" target="_blank" style="text-decoration:none">Blackmores Night</a>
Hmmm. Isn't that Ritchie Blackmore & friends playing medieval music? Interesting stuff, but hardly what one would call <i>metallic</i> (IMNSHO)!

Originally posted by jagpanzer
Give me classic Iron Maiden anyday!
Paul Di'Anno was quite the frontman. Those two albums together made a superb debut.

Originally posted by atlantamoi
The only thing worse than "nu-metal" is old metal. Thank you very much.
:crap: :lol: Tsk!

jagpanzer 12-02-02 01:05 PM

The problem I have with 'nu-metal' is that so much of it seems to downplay musicianship. I hear little to no guitar solos or quality vocals.

I remember being a young teenager and worshipping guitar players like Ritchie Blackmore. My parents paid for music lessons for me - but on one condition. I had to go to an established music center. No rock guitar lessons from the guy down the street.

So I took lessons at Johnny Smith music (Johnny was the guitarist for Bing Crosby). All the players at Johnny's place were excellent jazz and session players. Even these guitar players (who generally hated rock in general) were impressed with the musicianship of Ritchie Blackmore, Randy Rhoads, etc. Or the vocals of Ronnie James Dio.

But today these new bands don't seem to strive for excellence in thier music.

Just my 2 cents

Mark

demonio 12-02-02 03:18 PM

to me Metal is Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Dio, Motörhead, WASP.....stuff like that man, today's metal bands suck pretty much about 90 % of them, whether Nu Metal or not.........only bands worth listening to that are relatively new in metal are like Black Label Society, Brand New Sin, and maybe Arch Enemy.

I'm not into the artsy fartsy type of metal personally, but to each his own, and Korn......yes they do suck.

Mazinger 12-02-02 03:44 PM

Originally posted by jagpanzer
The problem I have with 'nu-metal' is that so much of it seems to downplay musicianship. I hear little to no guitar solos or quality vocals.

I remember being a young teenager and worshipping guitar players like Ritchie Blackmore. My parents paid for music lessons for me - but on one condition. I had to go to an established music center. No rock guitar lessons from the guy down the street.

So I took lessons at Johnny Smith music (Johnny was the guitarist for Bing Crosby). All the players at Johnny's place were excellent jazz and session players. Even these guitar players (who generally hated rock in general) were impressed with the musicianship of Ritchie Blackmore, Randy Rhoads, etc. Or the vocals of Ronnie James Dio.

But today these new bands don't seem to strive for excellence in thier music.

Just my 2 cents

Mark

That's actually the same reason I don't listen to the "MTV Metal"
I grew up listening to metal with real musicians and content.
Metal is more than just distortion and power chords.

And what's the deal with metal bands making concept albums based on Shakespeare plays? What's that all about? ;)

Lampei 12-02-02 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Anyway as for music.What i really hate are the talentless bands being tossed out there now copying whatever bands 'hip' at the moment.You have crap like New Found Glory,Mudvayne,Slipnot,Our Lady Peace(or whatever they're called)...to many Creed & Blick 182 ripoff's as well.It just becomes irritating since they all sound like crap & are obviously copying a current band.
And you actually started to have me convinced up to this point. Then you say that SlipKnot and Mudvayne are just ripoffs of 'hip' bands. I've only heard one Slipknot song on the radio and 2 Mudvayne songs (and they're played about once every 6 months) none of which are even remotely like any other 'hip' band out there. I thought it was nice to actually hear something refreshing than all the other crap they play on the radio. And they're both a far, far cry from that crappy Creed pop rock band :yack: Other than that, I would mostly agree :D

atlantamoi 12-03-02 07:08 AM

"I hear little to no guitar solos"......... and that's exactly the reason if I had to listen to metal it would be something closer to Helmet or Chevelle because there aren't any solos.

Julie Walker 12-03-02 07:13 AM

I would put Mudvayne & Slipnot in the bad metal wannabe's section which is why they were included in that list of mine:)

I've tryed listening to them & just found them extremely annoying.

Lampei 12-03-02 08:41 AM

Yes, annoying to you, but not nu-metal. I'm sure a few of the other metal bands mentioned are annoying to me, but that doesn't mean that they fall under the wannabe nu metal umbrella. Not all new metal bands can be considered "nu-metal".

Rypro 525 12-03-02 04:19 PM

well now, the slipknot singer has started "stone sour" (well actually stone sour started in 92) and their hit "bother" sounds nothing like anything else on the radio.

Goat3001 12-03-02 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
I would put Mudvayne & Slipnot in the bad metal wannabe's

Agreed. I really like slipknots old stuff (mate, feed, kill repeat and even most of Slipknot) but their new songs (Left Behind, My Plague) are more pop rock if you ask me.

Lampei 12-03-02 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Goat3001
Agreed. I really like slipknots old stuff (mate, feed, kill repeat and even most of Slipknot) but their new songs (Left Behind, My Plague) are more pop rock if you ask me.
That's the stuff I was talking about. I forgot about the new stuff :o I agree their new stuff sounds like crap.

flair 12-04-02 02:19 PM

When i hear the word metal, these bands pop in my head:

converge
zao
ed gein
mastadon
the red chord
a life once lost
etc.

I guess that there are just so many sub genres and stuff that can almost be called "metal" that they all get jumbled together. I would have to agree with about everyone that nu metal is horrible. A couple of power chords does not equel a good album. Not to mention the vocals make me want to punch them in the face.

gilbertr76 12-05-02 02:39 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
I had a similar conversation with my ex. She asked me who my favorite artist was and I said Tool. She proceedes to say "they suck, if you want real metal listen to Limp Bizkit, they make you want to go crazy" I said to her "since when is Tool considered metal?" Her: "Learn something about music then come back and talk to me." I really had to bite my tounge from calling her the biggest MTV sheep idiot that ever existed. Though looking back now I wish I would have, stupid bitch.
I love that story...

:wave:

DodgingCars 12-05-02 03:13 PM

I'm not a fan of nu metal, but I consider them metal. In fact, I believe that if KNAC (LA's old Heavy Metal station) was still around they would be playing most of these bands: disturbed, Linkin Park, etc.

I kind of like System of a Down, but that's about it.

I don't where you would place the Used -- but I like them as well. I consider them more punk/rock/emocore.

MJKTool 12-05-02 03:31 PM

Originally posted by gilbertr76
I love that story...

:wave:

sad thing is, its true word for word. It was kinda frustrating because I had a big decision to make. bite my tounge and continue getting some good bjs or call her a big idiot and risk those bjs! nevertheless i chose the bj!! :D :lol:

gilbertr76 12-06-02 12:56 AM

Originally posted by MJKTool
sad thing is, its true word for word. It was kinda frustrating because I had a big decision to make. bite my tounge and continue getting some good bjs or call her a big idiot and risk those bjs! nevertheless i chose the bj!! :D :lol:
As men, sometimes we just have to make sacrifices. :hump:

Trout 12-07-02 02:47 PM

I used to watch Headbangers ball on MTV all the time, but it would piss me off when they would play bands like poison or other hairband garbage, but others I am sure liked it.

For me, metal has to be loud, heavy, and fast as hell, but I also like the darker and more epic songs (Opeth would be a good example, or even a band like Disembowelment).

cerial442 12-08-02 10:12 PM

I wouldn't really go as far to say that Slipknot is typical nu-metal. Yeah Iowa was weaker then the self titled. But really how many nu-metal bands have you heard that use blast beats? If they didn't wear the masks and their image didn't take off like it did, alot more people would like them. Alot of other metal fans would have probably liked them more if they were on a label like Century Media or Metal Blade, which are considered "true" metal labels. Also I wouldn't classify System of a Down or Mudvayne as nu-metal either. Personally I think they are too talented to be put in that genre.

Well since Soilwork was suggested I also suggest Arch Enemy as well. They have a female vocalist and trust me it will surprise you. Plus two of the guitar players come from the band Carcass. What else do you need? In Flames is another band you should also check out. The new album isn't as good as their older stuff, but is still a great CD.

When bands like Hatebreed and Meshuggah and getting booked on major tours, maybe their is hope.

And you guys never heard of God Forbid. tisk tisk NO SOUP FOR YOU! ;)

One parting question, anyone heard the new Prong? How does the new band sound?

woofman 12-09-02 08:31 AM

Originally posted by cerial442
I wouldn't really go as far to say that Slipknot is typical nu-metal. Yeah Iowa was weaker then the self titled. But really how many nu-metal bands have you heard that use blast beats? If they didn't wear the masks and their image didn't take off like it did, alot more people would like them. Alot of other metal fans would have probably liked them more if they were on a label like Century Media or Metal Blade, which are considered "true" metal labels. Also I wouldn't classify System of a Down or Mudvayne as nu-metal either. Personally I think they are too talented to be put in that genre.

Well since Soilwork was suggested I also suggest Arch Enemy as well. They have a female vocalist and trust me it will surprise you. Plus two of the guitar players come from the band Carcass. What else do you need? In Flames is another band you should also check out. The new album isn't as good as their older stuff, but is still a great CD.

When bands like Hatebreed and Meshuggah and getting booked on major tours, maybe their is hope.

And you guys never heard of God Forbid. tisk tisk NO SOUP FOR YOU! ;)

One parting question, anyone heard the new Prong? How does the new band sound?

I've seen God Forbid-can I have some soup? ;)

:thumbsup: Arch Enemy, Hatebreed, Meshuggah- also very good live.