Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone pick up George Harrison's final CD?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm planning picking up "Brainwashed" later today. Been getting good reviews for a posthumous CD that I've seen. Curious if any other old farts like me plan on getting this or if you have it already what you think.
Old 11-19-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan on going to Target and get the CD only version $8.99
Old 11-19-02, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this disc is quite good[kind've sounds travelling wilburyish at times]
Old 11-19-02, 08:00 PM

And now for something completely George...

I picked up the deluxe set today along with Glengary Glen Ross (using the gift card from the latter for the former). I've only listened to the disc once, but it is certainly consistent with his earlier output. Arrangement-wise it's a bit heavier sounding than Cloud 9 though. It's a solid listen, though not revelatory. Sure makes me wish George a bit more, I'll say.

A quick note, I bought the deluxe version. It's a nice package and includes the regular edition packaging inside of it, along with a guitar pict, a Dark Horse sticker and a DVD mini documentary. The DVD is only about six and a half minutes long, but is pretty good. It features George, Jeff Lynne, George's son Dhani and Jim Keltner. Debatable if it's worth finding, especially at the $31.98 list price. Best Buy has it for $18.99. I got it for less using a complimentary gift card, so I feel I got a great deal. Just know that you are only getting about six minutes of extra content, even if the additional packaging is elegant
Old 11-19-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
Thanks for advising that the dvd is only 6 minutes long. I was going to go for the deluxe edition but now I will go with the regular version.

I would buy this disc for Jeff Lynne's production alone.
Old 11-19-02, 08:38 PM

I also got the deluxe package for $18.99,
minus 10% off coupon from the Entertainment book. Even though it says
"regular priced" only, she still took it.
But, after the above comments, I agree, I may take it back and get the bare bones.
I thought I read somewhere that the DVD
is over two hours long.
Old 11-19-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by wingfan <small>I thought ... the DVD is over two hours long.</small>
Target ad this week said it was over 3 hours.
Old 11-19-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
So what's the deal? I was going to pick this up tomorrow. Can anyone else confirm that the dvd is just 6 minutes instead the boasted 2 to 3 hours from various merchants?
Old 11-19-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Glad I skipped the 'special' edition if this DVD is only 6 minutes long. Bit of a rip-off.

As for the disc itself, I'm quite enjoying it. More mellow, introspective than "Cloud Nine" but still features some fine guitar licks and enjoyable poppy songs. Will have to give it a few more spins to get the full impression.
Old 11-20-02, 05:11 PM

How much does size matter?

I didn't know the DVD was announced to be any particular length. After reading the responses here I double-checked my disc. It opens with the image of the CD cover where the TV is blaring static with the word "PLAY" over it. The image behind it changes a few times. I tried hitting play when the images change, but each time I get the same documentary.

I don't want to say it was a ripoff. At $30, that's a fair comment. Like I said, I got mine for $13.99 (less than the list price for the regular disc). The box is handsome, much like the box reissue of All Things Must Pass in 2000. The two-sided poster is nice. One side the album cover, the other side an image of George circa late 90's/early 00's. The guitar pict is a nice touch, as is the Dark Horse sticker. Most impressive is that inside is the regular digipak (w/UPC) so I can put that on my shelf and store the rest where it won't get damaged.

Agreed, I wanted a more substantial DVD, but the interview bits were nice and well worth the extra $4 I paid over whatever discounters are using this as a
Old 11-20-02, 06:32 PM

My additional thoughts from my previous post: I went onto the website; www.georgeharrison.com, and I believe the same short documentary is being played there. So I think the Target price of $8.99 sounds better now. This indeed is the ripoff of the week, such as the CD industry is crying about sales being slow, so bands have been putting in DVDs or Enhanced CDs, as a way to deter from burning; this makes us more upset.
This short DVD should have been on limited editions the release week, like DMB did on Busted. Oh well, I didn't open mine, so back it goes and get a price match from theTarget ad at BB.