Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Songwriters giving band's their career #1 single

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Songwriters giving band's their career #1 single

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Songwriters giving band's their career #1 single

Kenny Rogers first #1 hit was Lady in 1980, written by Lionel Richie.
Kenny Rogers second #1 hit was Islands In The Stream (1983), written by Barry Gibb.

Frankie Valli was no stranger to the top of the charts, but Grease was written by Barry Gibb and hit #1 in 1978.
Old 12-22-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I like the fact that we had a forum member named 'KevinSmithIsGod'.

Jim Steinman's name hasn't cropped up yet. He gave Bonnie Tyler "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (#1) and Meatloaf "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" (#1). I think those are their only #1 singles, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-22-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Neil Diamond wrote "I'm A Believer". Monkees had #1 single of the year in 1966 with it.

I don't know what was a #1 and what wasn't but several people have had hits with songs written by Todd Rundgren.
How well did Rick Springfield do with "I've Done Everything For You"? Written by Sammy Hagar.
I believe Bryan Adams has written songs that others recorded. Don't know if they were hits or not.
Old 12-22-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph
Prince wrote Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares 2 U, and he also wrote a track for Paula Abdul.
I don't think cover songs fit the criteria of the thread, since Prince didn't write that for Sinead. She covered it after it had been recorded by The Family, one of Prince's side projects. It wasn't mentioned, but I also don't think "I Feel For You" works, since Prince had already recorded it himself years earlier, and Chaka Khan covered it. "Manic Monday" fits, since Prince did write it for Susannah Hoffs and The Bangles. And let's not forget "Sugar Walls", written for Sheena Easton.

(I also don't know if any of the songs I mentioned were number ones, but there it is.)

Last edited by The Infidel; 12-22-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-22-09, 10:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another chart-topping cover is "I Got My Mind Set On You."
Old 12-22-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinSmithIsGod
Not always true...most of the members of bsb's or nsync atleast co wrote most of the songs on their albums..
If Justin Timberlake hadn't been so successful in his solo career, I would have thought they "elvised" those songs.
Old 12-22-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I don't think cover songs fit the criteria of the thread, since Prince didn't write that for Sinead. She covered it after it had been recorded by The Family, one of Prince's side projects. It wasn't mentioned, but I also don't think "I Feel For You" works, since Prince had already recorded it himself years earlier, and Chaka Khan covered it. "Manic Monday" fits, since Prince did write it for Susannah Hoffs and The Bangles.
So then technically speaking, where does "These Dreams" fit then?

Originally Posted by fsubruce
Most of Heart's '80s hits were written by outside songwriters, including the #1 singles ("These Dreams" and "Alone")
It was written by Taupin/Page, but not *for* Heart. They wrote it for Stevie Nicks, but she passed on it. Heart then heard it around the same time in the studio, liked it and recorded it.
Old 12-22-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

"Because the Night" wasn't a No. 1 song, but it was Patti Smith's only hit. Originally written by Bruce Springsteen but reworked by Smith. The cover by 10,000 Maniacs was the first time the group had a top 40 hit. Not sure if any of that counts for this thread but still some interesting facts.
Old 12-22-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by reverie
So then technically speaking, where does "These Dreams" fit then?

It was written by Taupin/Page, but not *for* Heart. They wrote it for Stevie Nicks, but she passed on it. Heart then heard it around the same time in the studio, liked it and recorded it.
There's been tons of songs recorded by artists that they didn't write themselves. My impression was to name artists whose biggest hit was written by someone other than themselves. The fact of whether the song in question was actually written "for" that artist is a bit of a gray area, I guess.

Heart had lots of hits, so the fact that "These Dreams" was written by someone else I think is irrelevant, unless it happened to be their "biggest" hit, as the thread title implies. Who knows, maybe I misunderstood the use of the phrase "Songwriters giving bands their career #1 single".

Last edited by The Infidel; 12-22-09 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget About Me" was not written by them.
Old 12-22-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aerosmith wrote Come Together?
Old 12-22-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000
Aerosmith wrote Come Together?
No, who said that?
Old 12-22-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
No, who said that?
The OP.
Old 12-22-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

certainly not the OP. The OP mentioned Aerosmith doing I Don't Want To Miss A Thing. Aerosmith covered Come Together, but the OP never said anything about it.
Old 12-22-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I don't think cover songs fit the criteria of the thread, since Prince didn't write that for Sinead. She covered it after it had been recorded by The Family, one of Prince's side projects. It wasn't mentioned, but I also don't think "I Feel For You" works, since Prince had already recorded it himself years earlier, and Chaka Khan covered it. "Manic Monday" fits, since Prince did write it for Susannah Hoffs and The Bangles. And let's not forget "Sugar Walls", written for Sheena Easton.

(I also don't know if any of the songs I mentioned were number ones, but there it is.)
Actually Manic Monday was first recorded by Apollonia 6 before Prince ended up deciding to give it to The Bangles.

Last edited by nothingfails; 12-22-09 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dolly Parton's regarded as one of country music's finest female songwriters, yet one of her two pop #1 hits, "Islands In The Stream" was a Gibb composition.
Old 12-22-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
certainly not the OP. The OP mentioned Aerosmith doing I Don't Want To Miss A Thing. Aerosmith covered Come Together, but the OP never said anything about it.
You just said that was their only song not written by them. Since Come Together is one of their greatest hits it seems like an odd sentiment.

I see all the cover talk now though, so I get it.

Last edited by starman9000; 12-22-09 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
You just said that was their only song not written by them. Since Come Together is one of their greatest hits it seems like an odd sentiment.

I see all the cover talk now though, so I get it.
I wouldn't describe Come Together as one of their greatest hits. Not even close. Especially when you consider they have had 15 singles that have charted above Come Together, which peaked at #23.
Old 12-22-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I wouldn't describe Come Together as one of their greatest hits. Not even close. Especially when you consider they have had 15 singles that have charted above Come Together, which peaked at #23.
True, but put it in the context of 70's Aerosmith, which weren't quite the hitmakers that 1987-2001 era Aerosupply were. It was one of their biggest 1970's hits and it's the 70's material that is the most beloved IMO.
Old 12-22-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The hair-splitting in this thread is making my eyes hurt.
Old 12-22-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by raithen
Unfortunately, in Aerosmith's case it's the opposite. Everything in their catalogue sounds the same.

Even when they have an outside source for material, it still manages to morph into the "Crazy/Amazing" motif.

-matt

Big difference between 1970's aerosmith and everything after permanent vacation
Old 12-22-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
What's funny is that one of these songs hits it big, and then people buy the album only to find that all of the other tracks sound completely different (for better or for worse).
i like it when a metal ballad gets on the radio (or in the case of some metalcore bands), the one song without screaming, gets on the radio, only for the poor unsuspecting listener to find out...
Old 12-23-09, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Dolly Parton's regarded as one of country music's finest female songwriters, yet one of her two pop #1 hits, "Islands In The Stream" was a Gibb composition.
And she wrote that Whitney Houston hit from "The Bodyguard"
Old 12-23-09, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who's complaining? The songwriters make the big dough with a hit song.
Old 12-23-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i like it when a metal ballad gets on the radio (or in the case of some metalcore bands), the one song without screaming, gets on the radio, only for the poor unsuspecting listener to find out...
In a similar vein, Len's "Steal My Sunshine" is a master of pure pop goodness, but the rest of the album is unlistenable.

Or Sugar Ray, half are alt-rock/pop radio friendly songs, half are some bizarre metal-rap hybrids.

I wasn't aware of Prince writing Manic Monday, but playing it in my head now I can totally see the connection.

As for the phenomenon in general, I'd wager sometimes maybe singers/bands get too close to their own material and need the outside perspective of different material to make them push themselves a little harder.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.