Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Who picked up the Nirvana Hits collection?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-02, 04:03 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate spending money on something that profits Courtney Love, but I couldn't resist for the following reasons.

1. It was only $11.99 at Target. Impulse buys are a bitch.

2. "You Never Know" is good enough to warrant the purchase for me.

"About a Girl"- I didn't have this version on disc.
"Been a Son"- didn't have it period
"Sliver"- didn't have it period
"Pennyroyal Tea"-previously unreleased version that was remixed to be released as a single, again didn't have it.

4. All the tracks are digitally remastered and sound better.
Old 11-01-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<-----won it from local radio station

I had everything except of course "You Know You're Right" and the remixed version of "Pennyroyal Tea" but as you said, everything else sounds much better than they did on the previous cd's.
Old 11-01-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Saw it in the store.

Not much of a Nirvana fan.

Put it back on the shelf.
Old 11-01-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked it up of course...
Old 11-01-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Iwas @ BB to buy another cd, then i saw the NIRVANA and I also Had to get it...IT DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE MY HAND...GOTTA GET it for "YOU KNOW YOUR RIGHT"...it's cool that it has the NEW "PENNYROYAL TEA" mix...MUST HAVE...IT'S NIRVANA
Old 11-01-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the track list for the NIRVANA album was picked because those
were the main singles from all the albums.

They know that some fans will pick up the cd just for the
new song but it's mainly for new fans and young people
who aren't going to buy all of the old albums.

the box set is what they're counting on the hardcore fans buying.

But they're not going to put the rarities and b-sides on this package because then no one would buy the box.
Old 11-01-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
bought it

then sold my Nevermind
Old 11-01-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought it. Already have the others but had to pick it up for the new song. I know I got screwed but whatever. I've paid for much worse in the past.

On a side note... I'm 29 and when I tell people I like Nirvana they almost always say "How old are you?" Anyone else get this response? Damn, I feel old.
Old 11-03-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kilcher
I bought it. Already have the others but had to pick it up for the new song. I know I got screwed but whatever. I've paid for much worse in the past.

On a side note... I'm 29 and when I tell people I like Nirvana they almost always say "How old are you?" Anyone else get this response? Damn, I feel old.
No but I do get quite the reaction when I say somethin' like "yea, I really like Holst's Planets, I was listening to it the other day just before I put on some Nirvana..." and they say, "Huh? You can't like classical music *and* Nirvana!" and I'm like "yea, ok, whatever" and roll my eyes because, like many people I'm sure, my tastes jump all over the place

Oh, and I got the new Nirvanny too, I mean I'm a fan, what else was I gonna do?

-Gunshy
Old 11-04-02, 10:16 AM

I was going to buy it (and probably still will) but lately I feel a little strange about how the marketing for this is being handled. Has anyone seen the Nirvana infomercial that is on VH-1? I caught late on Friday night and it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. It was presented in such a manner that it was hiding that it was a infomercial yet...it was. It just seemed so cheap.

Anyways, how is the packaging? Is it good? Are there liner notes? As a die-hard Nirvana fan, I'm hoping that this is being done right and not to just cash in.
Old 11-04-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by remjim
Are there liner notes? As a die-hard Nirvana fan, I'm hoping that this is being done right and not to just cash in.
Just 3 pages about Nirvana's history written by a Rolling Stone writer. David Fricke, if memory serves correctly.
Old 11-04-02, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the info. Is that all? No pictures or lyrics or anything?
Old 11-04-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by remjim
Thanks for the info. Is that all? No pictures or lyrics or anything?
a few pics. no lyrics. the article does point out a few songs and some facts about them, but this is nowhere near a comprehensive song-by-song commentary
Old 11-04-02, 12:57 PM

Ack. Oh well, I'm still going to pick it up. Thanks GuessWho.

Speaking of Nirvana: what I would love to hear are the songs that Michael Stipe and Kurt Cobain were working on right before his death. From what Stipe said in an issue of Rolling Stone around the time that Monster came out (I beleive), they would write songs together over the phone. REM and Nirvana were also planning to co-headline a tour together. Eventually Cobain flew out to visit Stipe. They hung out and threw around some more ideas. Stipe said that he had a tape somewhere of these songs. There was also a bit about an sexual encounter between the two (with Courtney's endorsement). I think I have the issue at home somewhere. Hopefully I'm not talking out of my a** on this one...
Old 11-04-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got the "how old are you" from a dj last year when i requested "stairway to heaven" she thought it was weird that a 16 yr old would request zeppelin. well luckly they fired her recently (or she left)
Old 11-05-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought it. I really enjoyed Fricke's article in the liner notes. But then, I've always enjoyed his writing.
Old 11-08-02, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know the stories about how the three remaining band members of Nirvana initially wanted to release a box set to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of "Nevermind," but Courtney Love stepped in and put the kabash on that idea.

If the band members had had their way, do you think a fat 2-disc video collection of Nirvana would have been released as well?
Old 11-08-02, 09:11 AM
Banned

I bought it because I own every officially released Nirvana CD ever made in. If I didn't have this, how would I live with myself? Its the same reason I picked up Outcesticide 5. I have the other 4, so I need #5 (even though there were no new songs on it).