Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lee Hazlewood/Nancy Sinatra fans here?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone know Lee or is too obscure for the forum? How about his song "Some Velvet Morning"?
Old 10-21-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah thats a good song. A radio show I listen to uses it for bumper music. He also had Lee Hazlewood on the program to talk about how that song came about.
Old 10-21-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget to get the "Movin' With Nancy" DVD which has them doing "Some Velvet Morning" and "Jackson" together. She also does "Sugartown" on it.
Did anyone else notice how Sonny Bono stole Lee's haggard cowboy look?
Old 10-21-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes that is an excellent DVD. I rented it thinking it would be stupid and pleasantly surprised with how much I loved it. So I bought the thing and have played it quite a bit. It's caused me to spend too much money on Lee and Nancy cds, much to the chagrin of my wife.
Old 01-17-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Chili Palmer
Yeah thats a good song. A radio show I listen to uses it for bumper music. He also had Lee Hazlewood on the program to talk about how that song came about.
Are you talking about Art Bell?

Any fans here now?
Old 01-18-03, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Only thing I know about them is Nancy and her boots... Will look further...

Old 01-19-03, 11:05 PM

They did a fabulous job on "Summer Wine". It was recently redone by The Corrs with Bono.
Old 01-20-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a friend that introduced me to the song "Jackson". He loves that song. I think he did a drag routine to it or was thinking about doing a routine to it once. I thought it was a pretty good song. I like "These Boots Are Made For Walking" from Nancy. That's about it though.
Old 01-20-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes I really like the song "Jackson". The video to that is very funny in a strange way.

It's on the "Movin With Nancy" DVD. The show was a special in the 60's on NBC sponsored by the "mad, mad taste of RC Cola".

That's what got me into Nancy and Lee's stuff.

I rented it from Netflix expecting it would be stupid, but it was excellent. I played it about ten times b4 I returned it and bought my own copy. There are lots of rat pack appearances plus some cool vids and fun commercials for RC. Besides "Jackson" the songs "Some Velvet Morning" and "Sugar Town" are highlights.

Check it out.
Old 12-15-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone hear now a fan?

Sadly he's no longer living but his last album, "Cake or Death" was a great one.
Old 12-15-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a major fan. I have all of the Smells Like Records reissues. As far as I'm concerned, Requiem for an Almost Lady is an absolute masterpiece and one of the greatest break-up albums ever made.
Old 12-16-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Anyone know Lee or is too obscure for the forum? How about his song "Some Velvet Morning"?
I loved Some Velvet Morning, mostly because of Art Bell
Old 12-16-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Big fan here, too. I also have the DVD.
Old 12-17-08, 06:31 PM

first heard some velvet morning about 4 years ago when i bought a ladytron compilation cd.
Old 12-19-08, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
As far as I'm concerned, Requiem for an Almost Lady is an absolute masterpiece and one of the greatest break-up albums ever made.
Yes! One of the best albums ever made, period.

Slightly off topic, anyone else think Lee's version of These Boots Are Made For Walkin' is infinitely better than Nancy's? It has so much more swagger and humor with Lee rocking the vocals.
Old 12-20-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
What about her version of "Bang, Bang (My Baby Shot me Down)" - which was featured in the Kill Bill soundtrack? Great stuff...

Last edited by mickey65; 12-20-08 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-04-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Robot Rock
Yes! One of the best albums ever made, period.

Slightly off topic, anyone else think Lee's version of These Boots Are Made For Walkin' is infinitely better than Nancy's? It has so much more swagger and humor with Lee rocking the vocals.

He did a few versions of boots-some live IIRC. Those are fun w/his commentary in the song about when they were recording it. Heard that one?

Requiem is a great album.
Old 01-11-09, 03:52 PM

Re: Lee Hazlewood/Nancy Sinatra fans here?

I'm doing an hour long radio focusing on Lee Hazlewood in the coming weeks. If anyone wants to pass along a thought or two about him and his music, please send me an email at [email protected]

I try to incorporate fans thoughts on the show and may even use your thoughts if I have persmission.

Best,
Matt
Old 02-18-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was this aired? I am guessing with one post we will never know. Guess I'll try your email.
Old 03-10-14, 03:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw this bumped thread & thought I'd share a funny recent story. Last fall I got an internet order from a "Nancy Sinatra" from Los Angeles. My first thought was "Nah...," but the order was for Man From U.N.C.L.E. Season 3. I quickly checked and, sure enough, Ms. Sinatra appeared in an episode of that season.

The address looked to be an office building (judging by the name, suite #, etc.), so I Googled Nancy. Sure enough, turned out to be the business address for her personal assistant. I included a personal note to her and got a nice email back from the PA saying he would be sure to pass it along to her and that she loved to hear from her fans.

I sent a very brief (two-line) responding email thanking him for his time, and he sent one back that read, "Keep rockin' !" Nice experience.
Old 03-10-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I thought one of the odder and cool things Lee Hazlewood did was a duet with Bela B from the German band Die Ärzte -- Lied des Tages. I semi-recently picked up the LP and was pretty surprised to see him on it

http://youtu.be/_IniGrUxnKY
Old 04-15-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the story creekdipper.
Old 04-15-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love that Bela B song on Lee's last album "Cake or Death".
Old 04-15-14, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I highly, highly recommend the Lee Hazlewood deluxe box set that Light In The Attic Records recently put out:

http://amzn.com/B00FBAQ3U0

172 Page Hard Cover Book:
- LP-sized cloth bound book with gold foil stamp
- Over 150 rare & unseen photos + in depth essays
- LHI history, album breakdowns, 27 artist profiles, LHI timeline, and interviews with Lee & dozens of label alum.

Cowboy in Sweden The Film, on DVD (1970, 60 mins):
- First time available. New digital transfer from the original 16mm master negative at the Swedish Broadcasting Co. Fully restored in HD with re-mastered sound. Region Free.

4 CDs (107 Tracks):
- Meticulously re-mastered. Analog transfers captured at 24-bit/96-kHz. 95% of transfers from original analog master tapes (remainder transferred from mint vinyl).
- DISCS 1&2: Everything Lee recorded for LHI, including every 45 single and album (Cowboy in Sweden, Forty, The Cowboy & The Lady, and Requiem For an Almost Lady), plus a handful of unreleased tracks.
- DISCS 3&4: Key tracks from the LHI stable of artists, including Suzi Jane Hokom, The Kitchen Cinq, Ann-Margret, Honey Ltd., The International Submarine Band, Arthur, The Aggregation, Sanford Clark, Lynn Castle, The Surprise Package, Virgil Warner, and Hamilton Streetcar, amongst many others.
- 14 unreleased tracks

The book really has to be seen to be believed. Probably the best one I've ever seen included in a musical box set.
Old 04-15-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have it and love it. All of the Light In The Attic releases are great.

I believe I have everything that is possibly out there on Lee but I'm always hoping to find more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.