Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you have any songs that you tie to real life emotional events?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was t hinking about this the other day

I absolutely love music, and know the words to 1000s of songs, yet...there are only a few that make me well up with emotion for whatever reason...

1)Fleetwood Mac "Don't Stop". They played this on the last day of high school for the senior class of '98(My class). At the time the lyrics seemed especially poignant, and seeing as how it was the last day of my old life and the first day of my new life, it seemed to fit. I can't listen to it to this day w/o feeling all the emotions of that day....

2)Billy Joel "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant". That was sort of my ex's and mine song. I always think of allt he good times we had as opposed to the bad times...makes me think about caling her and trying to w*ork things out(then I realize I'm a stupid **** and go back to my work )

I'm sure there are others, but those two stick out...

how bout you guys?
Old 10-19-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only song that I can really tie to an actual event in my life is "Broken Heart" by Spiritualized. I'm not going to describe it, since you just have to read the lyrics. That was it, more or less. Seems kind of generic (as if there aren't a thousand of those songs), but the first time I ever heard that song was roughly 10 minutes after the fact.

Besides that, I actually feel rather emotionally disconnected from song's lyrics. Instrumental music produces a much more poignant effect upon me. I think it is because that without a singer imposing his/her story upon you, you are left to reflect on your own. Besides, the dynamic movements really hit me hard. I remember when I saw Do Make Say Think play live, they had this song (called "Reithschule" check it out) where they would start quiet and build it up, build it up to the point where you expected the song to just explode with sound, but instead they just dropped it straight back down to the beginning of the section. People were literally shuddering when they dropped the dynamic to the ground; simply amazing.
Old 10-20-02, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,912 Posts
"Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order.

"Every time I think of you, I feel shot right through with a bolt of blue. It's no problem of mine, but it's a problem I find living the life that I can't leave behind. There's no sense in telling me the wisdom of the fool won't set you free. But that's the way that it goes, and it's what nobody knows, while every day my confusion grows."

Many years ago, I found myself very attracted to my cousin's girlfriend. I mean, just horribly infatuated. She was just sweet, and vivacious, and extroverted, and full of life. And he was just this scummy ass, a redneck jerk, treated her poorly, and probably cheated on her -- if past is indeed prologue.

I let her borrow a bunch of my CDs and she fell in love with this song. I still think about her every time I hear it.

"Beds are Burning" by Midnight Oil

Odd choice here. This song was playing when my then girlfriend and I had a particularly nasty fight. In fact, we broke up over the incident. I remember the video was playing on MTV at the time our fight started. Still freaks me out to hear the song; it sort of opens up the old floodgates, and I feel a lot of shame over the incident. (I was very much in the wrong. I knew it then, but would only admit it later.)
Old 10-20-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Call me cheesy, but whenever I hear "Amazing Grace" I sometimes get a little teary . All I can picture when I hear that song is when I was just a little boy and sitting next to my grandmother in a old southern 50 person church in the back-woods depths of Louisiana and seeing her cry as she sang the hymn and not really understanding why, but being touched by the memory years later, especially after she had passed away.
Old 10-20-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by woofman
Call me cheesy, but whenever I hear "Amazing Grace" I sometimes get a little teary . All I can picture when I hear that song is when I was just a little boy and sitting next to my grandmother in a old southern 50 person church in the back-woods depths of Louisiana and seeing her cry as she sang the hymn and not really understanding why, but being touched by the memory years later, especially after she had passed away.
Now that I think about it, I have a tie to that song also. It was played at my Great Grandmother's funeral and was the moment I started crying. It reminds me of that every time.

I think everybody has a tie to that song somehow.
Old 10-20-02, 03:21 PM

Whenever I think about the tragic death of Biggie Smalls, I put on Puff Daddy's "I'll be missing you" and secretly swipe a tear from my eye.
Old 10-20-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too many songs.
Old 10-20-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Friends In Low Places does it for me

long story
Old 10-20-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,142 Posts
Chicago's "You're the Inspiration".....early tough lessons in relationships, girlfriends who have BITCHES for moms, and the lesson that life goes on.

Madonna's "VOGUE"... it reminds me of the movie DICK TRACY, which is what I saw the day my Father was killed in a work accident.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-22-02 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-20-02, 11:51 PM

"Imagine" by Lennon

"Yesterday" by The Beatles
Old 10-21-02, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Needle Lies by Queensryche.

This song was playing when I found out my grandfather, with whom I was very close, had passed away.

Silent Whisper (George Michael or Wham....don't really know)
This one was playing when I heard that my best friend from kindergarten through about 5th grade had gotten killed in a car wreck. also

Pantera: F__king Hostile. This was the theme song on the way to Spring Break in Padre my senior year of HS.
Old 10-22-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 188 Posts
any song by 2PAC, makes me tear up, cuzz he was too talented to go...makes u feel like U have been through what he has...and their are other songs by different ARTIST that are Part of my LIFE's PAIN...

Last edited by gerrythedon; 10-22-02 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-25-02, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Father of Mine" by Everclear - Makes me think of my nonrelationship with my father and what an a@@hole he is. And just like in the song I don't want to turn out like him. I want to be a better person for my kids (when I have some).

"Don't You Cry" by Guns N' Roses - I was involved in two seperate car accidents while this was playing. I wasn't the driver in either accident but my friend was and we declared this song to be jinxed.
Old 10-25-02, 05:26 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by gerrythedon
any song by 2PAC, makes me tear up, cuzz he was too talented to go...makes u feel like U have been through what he has...and their are other songs by different ARTIST that are Part of my LIFE's PAIN...

How do you stay thugged out with those tears in your eyes?

Old 10-25-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Better than Ezra's "Live Again" is my theme song for a good relationship gone sour. Pure genius song for listening to right at the moment you realize someone you're crazy about is sick of being around you.

Better Than Ezra Lyrics
"Live Again"

DON'T FEAR,
EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE AT A LOSS.
I'M NUMB,
A SHELL OF EMPTY THOUGHTS.
BUT YOU GLOW,
YOU STRETCH AND PULL ME OUT.
DOES THAT TROUBLE YOU?
DOES THAT TROUBLE YOU?

[CHORUS:]
LOVE ME
HATE ME
MAKE ME LIVE AGAIN
I NEED YOU AROUND

HEAL ME
HURT ME
MAKE ME LIVE AGAIN
I WANT YOU AROUND

SO LONG,
I NEVER HAD EXPERIENCED
THIS BLISS.
SO HOW COULD I RESIST?
AND I'M FINE
A LITTLE LIGHT-HEADED.
DOES THAT WORRY YOU?
I DIDN'T MEAN TO WORRY YOU.

[CHORUS:]

NOW, RETREATING FROM THE LIGHT
I LOVE IT WHEN WE FIGHT
IT MAKES ME THINK
AT LEAST YOU STILL CARE

GIVE UP, YOU'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE
MOONLIGHT, ILLUMINATES YOUR STARE
AND IT'S GREAT, CAPTIVATING YOU
DOES THAT TROUBLE YOU?
I DIDN'T MEAN TO TROUBLE YOU

[CHORUS & FADE]
Old 10-25-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Oh man, there are just too many to mention. But the answer is a resounding YES!

Needless to say, I can hear a certain song and it will bring back a flood of particular emotions just because it is tied in with some event in my life. And in just about all cases the lyrics are appropo.

Here's a couple - yeah, I'm old:

Yaz - Only You
-heard it on the radio while driving home at 2am after meeting my future wife in a local pub. We had dated briefly a year or so earlier, and I had often thought about calling her again.

Giorgio Moroder/Phil Oakey - Electric Dreams
- reminds me of a girl I dated in college. Distance killed that relationship, though

Fleetwood Mac - (anything from Rumours)
- reminds of a girl I met and "made out with" at a Mac show at Alpine Valley around that time. WOW, she was cute! She took my orange baseball hat and never gave it back, though

Butterfly Kisses
- yep, that lame syrupy pop crapsong gets me weepy everytime ( I have a young daughter, so that's probably the reason)

The Olympics theme
- I'm far from being a sports nut, but I am nutty about the Olympics. Just hearing the familiar fanfare brings back assorted visual memories of particularly exciting moments.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 10-25-02 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-25-02, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 967 Likes on 674 Posts
Nat King Cole: Unforgettable
Michael W Smith: Do You Dream of Me
I Will Be Here For You

these three because they were the songs that my GF and I danced to when we first fell in love. (not that simple but...)

this may be cheating but...

soundtracks including Bicentennial Man when he replays Sam Niel dancing with his daughter at her wedding and he realizes that he will never stop missing them.

okay...okay...i know most of you hated Bicentennial Man and thought it was crap but i could actually relate with the passage of time in the movie.
Old 10-26-02, 01:22 AM

Practically every song by Counting Crows.
Old 10-26-02, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally posted by dek

How do you stay thugged out with those tears in your eyes?

EVEN T.H.U.G.S. CRY...YA KNOW