Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Similar to Jack Johnson?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Similar to Jack Johnson?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar to Jack Johnson?

Hey, I am looking for recommendations on band/artists that sound similar to Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Dave Matthews Band, and the like. I am not a fan of John Mayer. Also, the song The General by Dispatch is very good (like what I am looking for), but the rest of their stuff is not good.

Thanks for any help,

Dan
Old 10-19-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try David Gray. White Ladder is a great album, but is overshadowed by two lesser known albums, Flesh and A Century Ends. His upcoming album A New Day At Midnight has been three years in the making, and is an excellent follow up to Ladder. It isn't out yet, but the official web site, http://www.anewdayatmidnight.com is premering one new song a day. I've got an advance copy of the CD and it is a great album.

Also, I have found that most Dave Matthews Band fans also like Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, Soulive, and the John Butler Trio. Soulive almsot outperformed DMB when they opened for them on the west coast in the Spring. The Flecktones always outperform DMB when they open for them.

Last edited by pantala; 10-19-02 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-19-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pantala
Try David Gray. White Ladder is a great album, but is overshadowed by two lesser known albums, Flesh and A Century Ends. His upcoming album A New Day At Midnight has been three years in the making, and is an excellent follow up to Ladder. It isn't out yet, but the official web site, http://www.anewdayatmidnight.com is premering one new song a day. I've got an advance copy of the CD and it is a great album.

Also, I have found that most Dave Matthews Band fans also like Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, Soulive, and the John Butler Trio. Soulive almsot outperformed DMB when they opened for them on the west coast in the Spring. The Flecktones always outperform DMB when they open for them.
I don't like David Gray either, I am familiar with his stuff. The other ones I will check out though.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 10-19-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Willy Porter - Falling Forward.

G. Love & Special Sauce is in this vein too although I'm not a fan.

Same with Citizen Cope.
Old 10-22-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, and Howie Day are all the same person. Well, maybe not, but they're all pretty similar. And how did DMB get lumped in there?