Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Led Zeppelin to tour?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Led Zeppelin to tour?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Led Zeppelin to tour?

Never been the biggest Zep fan, but it sounds like they may be looking to cash in. I assume the $10 million figure should say $100 million because that is likely what the gross would be. anyways....

Led Zeppelin Back in Business

Classic heavy rockers Led Zeppelin are re-forming to hit the road for a lucrative American tour - 22 years after splitting up.

Singer Robert Plant will join surviving members guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones for the first time since they split in 1980 - and their late drummer John Bonham's son Jason is set to be their sticksman.

The three stars met up earlier this month to sort out the ill-feeling over Plant and Page's tour last decade - which Jones only learned of after reading the newspaper.

Now, with the prospect of earning an estimated $10 million by playing a number of live dates in America, the "Whole Lotta Love" band is ready to perform together once more.

A source explains, "If the right offer comes up they'd do it. Jimmy is itching to do something, but there's nothing firm yet."

Copyright 2002 World Entertainment News Network
Old 10-14-02, 12:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plant, Page, Jones & Bonham to tour the USA?

So says a UK tabloid....
LEGENDARY rockers Led Zeppelin are set to re-group after 22 years for a money-spinning stadium tour of America.

The three surviving members — singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones — plan to hit the road next summer.

The trio hope to pocket £6.4million for the shows.

Robert, 54, Jimmy, 58, and 56-year-old John Paul met two weeks ago at the offices of their management firm Trinifold.

They buried the hatchet over Page and Plant’s 1990s tour, which John Paul only learned about from a newspaper.

A band insider said last night: “If the right offer comes up they will do it.”

Trinifold added: “Jimmy is itching to do something, but there is nothing firm yet.”

Zeppelin split in 1980 after a booze binge killed drummer John Bonham.

His son Jason is set to play drums on the tour.

The band, famed for songs like Stairway to Heaven and Whole Lotta Love, are second only to the Beatles in worldwide album sales.

They still hold records for crowds at their 1970s concerts.

A music industry insider said: “They had so many hits that I am sure the reunion would be a major success.”
Actually, all highly speculative when you look at it!

But would a farewell/reunuion tour be a "good thing"?

How would it measure up, say, to the endless Kiss final tours or the Sabbbath "Last Supper"?
Old 10-14-02, 12:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

Old 10-14-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm excited about this, I never got a chance to see Zeppelin, and from what I hear the Page/Plant tour had a "good sound" to it.

But then again, this could also be a bad idea. How much are tix gonna cost? $60-$100 for the bad seats/
Old 10-14-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you wanna see Zep,get the dvd!!!

Plants voice is shot,it would not be the same.....

ts
Old 10-14-02, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tommy28

ts
He didn't sound bad when I saw them on their last tour. It was a great show.
Old 10-15-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sorry but didn't Plant say they would never, ever do this? More than a few times? Actually, going so far to say that it would be very cheap? Somebody needs money I guess. Not that it's a bad thing for the fans but very hypocritical by the singer himself.
Old 10-16-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where could I find info about this controversial Page/Plant tour? I'm a big Zeppelin fan and own their first seven albums on CD. I'd love to see them live.
Old 10-16-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Flashback
I'm sorry but didn't Plant say they would never, ever do this? More than a few times? Actually, going so far to say that it would be very cheap? Somebody needs money I guess. Not that it's a bad thing for the fans but very hypocritical by the singer himself.
Kinda like when I saw the WHo in 82 on thier Farewell tour..well they are still saying farewell it seems
Old 10-16-02, 02:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Plant, Page, Jones & Bonham to tour the USA?

Originally posted by benedict
Actually, all highly speculative when you look at it!
http://jimmypageonline.com/jimmypage/id2.html
Old 10-16-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I saw Plant/Page together about 8 years ago when they toured for the No Quarter album... they sounded ok
Old 10-18-02, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only seen Plant recently on a VH1 special and I thought he was horrible.

I'd probably go though. Mid-90's a friend drug me along to a Bonham concert, I didn't want to go but I'm glad I did. After doing about 15-20 minutes of their own stuff they did over an hour of Zeppelin tunes. To this day I think that's my favorite concert.
Old 10-18-02, 05:32 PM

I saw them several times here in Detroit in the 70's and I just didn't think they were a good live band. It appears that Page's double and triple tracking on their albums makes it difficult to do live. Also, Bonzo was the best of the members, and basically carried Zep; and frankly, I would not be interested in seeing them.
This sounds like a money tour only, like the Who are doing now.
Old 10-20-02, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Although I would gladly go as Zep is my favorite band, I highly doubt this is happening.
Old 10-20-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Plant's voice is pretty much shot. I thought Page sounded good on that "Live at the Greek" disc with the Black Crowes. From all accounts though Zep was a total crapshoot live in their day.
Old 10-22-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wingfan
This sounds like a money tour only, like the Who are doing now.
To say that The Who tour is a "money" tour is incredibly ignorant. Obviously, they tour to make money, but the band is vital and, honestly, sounding better than they have in quite a long time.
Old 10-22-02, 07:38 PM

To say that The Who tour is a "money" tour is incredibly ignorant.
I saw the Who this year in Detroit on 8/23, they were horrible, that's because I saw them in the Moon days. Get the CD at www.themusic.com, and hear the concert yourself; or maybe you are saving your allowance for the Creedence Clearwater Revisited show!
Geez!
Old 10-23-02, 10:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'd go see them, reunited with Jon Paul.

I saw Page/Plant's tour for their Walking into Clarksdale album from a few years back and I was very impressed.
Old 10-23-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wingfan
I saw the Who this year in Detroit on 8/23, they were horrible, that's because I saw them in the Moon days. Get the CD at www.themusic.com, and hear the concert yourself; or maybe you are saving your allowance for the Creedence Clearwater Revisited show!
Geez!
No need to get snippy. I saw The Who this year in Tinley Park on 8/24, they were incredible. They definitely sounded better than the 2000 tour, despite the death of John Entwistle.

Comparing my 8/24 CD from www.themusic.com to 1970's Live at Leeds, it is clear that The Who hasn't missed a beat. Pete's playing has improved with time, and his singing has matured immeasurably. Roger's vocal range has narrowed, but his voice still sounds great. Pino Palladino is an excellent base player, but he tends to stay out of the way. Zak Starkey is certainly comparable to Keith Moon, and definitely out-performs Moon toward the end of his life. The Who in their prime were probably better than the current incarnation, but they're still damn good.

Horrible? I think not. They blew everyone off the stage at the Concert for New York last fall.

When did it start being only about money? Keith Moon has been dead for 24 years. In that time, The Who has toured several times, and recorded a lot of good music (Athena, Eminence Front, You Better You Bet, etc.). Seems strange..
Old 10-24-02, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by tommy28

ts
I disagree! I saw Plant this summer for the first time, when he opened for the Who (I'll address that in a minute). My friends and I were commenting on how good Plant still sounds. To be honest, we were all surprised at how good he still sounds. He was hitting many of the high notes with what seemed like no difficulty. His stage presence was very strong, and he seemed very happy to be on stage. I for one, am praying that Zep can do the reunion. As a drummer, I would have rather have seen Bonzo live, but I'll take 3 out of 4!

Originally posted by leepyswetr
I saw The Who this year in Tinley Park on 8/24, they were incredible. They definitely sounded better than the 2000 tour, despite the death of John Entwistle.
As for my comments on the Who touring- I couldn't agree with Leepy more! I've seen the Who 4 times, now (twice on the Quadrophenia tour, twice on the Greatest Hits tour), and they are still one of the best performers out there. My wife, who doesn't consider herself a Who fan, was blown away by how good they were in concert! My only disappointment with this past summer's tour was the fact that Entwistle was gone. Pino Palladino is a great bass player, but 'My Generation' just didn't sound the same during the bass solos.... As for: Daltry, he still screams better than anyone; Townsend: even if he is a grumpy old man, he still whips his arms doing the windmills like no other and sings incredibly; and Zak Starky on skins..... Keith Moon taught him how to play drums... 'nuff said? The Who is still one of the best tours to see, IMO!!