Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ramones remasters

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-02, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ramones remasters

Hey all,

I really want to start getting into the Ramones. I have nothing by them and I don't want to start with an anthology or something.

I have a choice though. I can either get the newest remaster of The Ramones first album or I can get the first and second in the form of the "All Their Stuff, Vol. 1" comp. I'd love to have the best sounding version of the first album but the comp is better on the budget.

Is the improvement of the remasters plus the addition of demos make it worth it? Any advice would be great.

Aaron
Old 10-13-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
The Ramones are really a great singles band as opposed to an album band. IMHO you can't go wrong with "Hey Ho Let's Go The Ramones Anthology," it's 2 discs with close to 60 tracks on there I think, covering pretty much their entire career. Excellent sound, too, I noticed a big difference between it and the old "Ramones Mania" single-disc collection I used to have. One of the best compliations I've got for any band.

I've also got the remastered version of their first album even though 4-5 songs from it are on the Anthology, and it's definitely a first class job, crisp and dynamic sounding. I haven't heard "All That Stuff" but I can't imagine this pivotal album getting a better release than this (excellent CD booklet too)

But if you haven't gotten anything of theirs, even though you said you don't want an anthology I still really have to pimp "Hey Ho," it's probably the best collection you can find and it's got the best of their later years, when the albums were kind of hit-and-miss affairs. I'm really glad I got it.

Last edited by The Antipodean; 10-13-02 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-13-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Ramones Mania which sounds very bad & condensed.You have to turn it up really loud in order to really hear it,even then it doesn't sound right.

I found their debut album remasterd for only $8 used & it blows away the Mania cd soundwise. Loud,full of energy & just naturally how it's supposed to sound.

I'm thinking of getting the other remaster's..though as said before..the band is mostly a good singles band,yet albums as a whole are only so so. I try my best not to get GH"s packages since i'd rather have the actual album which usualy has tons of great stuff that never get air-play. Yet i didn't like every single song on the debut album..& if their others are the same. I may just get the Hey Ho set.

It all depends on your taste in music i guess. Still the remaster's sound much better than the older releases..& you always have the Hey Ho set remastered with all their great stuff throughout their career.