Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

DTCMDG: Brandenburg Concertos - J. S. Bach

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the votes have been tallied and the Brandenburg Concertos by J. S. Bach is the winner of the poll. Discussion is therefore open - all posters welcome.
Old 09-20-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Recordings Referenced:
J.S.BACH: Complete Orch Works Vol.6 - Brandenburg Ctos Vol. 1 - Naxos 8.554607
J.S.BACH: Complete Orch Works Vol.7 - Brandenburg Ctos Vol.2 - Naxos 8.554608

Various Soloists
Cologne Chamber Orchestra
Helmut Muller-Bruhl, Conductor

What magnificent works these are - light and airy with high arcing solos over energetic strings. And to think Bach was thought of as old-fashioned for a long time after his death. My personal favorite movement is the third mvt of number 4. While being uniquely baroque, it seems to me to point the way to the classical era in its tone and emotion. But really, every movement in this set is good, with repeated listening rewarding the avid listener. Though tempting to have them as background music, I find that as I become familiar with them again, the details are becoming clearer (e.g., the Menuetto from number 1 - the interplay of the various instruments is great).

As far as recordings go, the one listed is my favorite. Muller-Bruhl definitely energizes these concertos, to the point where some (like No. 2) seem rushed. But when this approach works, it works well - these concertos sing. So even as I was frowning that the pieces seemed too fast, I could not but help end up smiling as the sheer joy of the music and the musicians shone through. Though not always as polished as their peers, the Cologne Chamber Orchestra accounts itself well - really making me FEEL the music in addition to the intellectual hearing of it. And at budget price on the Naxos label, both CD's can be had for around $15. Not a bad deal

(For those with the appropriate audio software (can't remember if it is RealAudio or Window Media Player) this and any other Naxos recording can be heard at Naxos' website - all you have to do is register.)

Last edited by stingo; 09-23-02 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-23-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a bump to make the post more easily accessible.
Old 09-26-02, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmm is anyone else participating? lol
Old 09-27-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the same recordings. One of my favorite aspects of Bach's compositions in general and on these pieces is that each instrument is voiced beautifully for solos and ensemble work. The solos really highlight the ranges and timbre of a given instrument (his violin concertos and cello suites are amazing examples of this).
Old 09-27-02, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess I'm participating a little late. I don't even know what the question was.

I strongly prefer period instruments whenever possible. I guess that scraping nails on blackboards sound really appeals to me.

Anyway, my prefered recording of the Brandenburg Concertos is the 20-year-old digital recording of The English Concert with Trevor Pinnock on Archiv.
Old 09-28-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tying the two replies together into a common response (sorry if this offends) - I find that with Bach's work especially (being as dense as it is) care needs to be taken with the clarity of texture - each voice has to be readily identifiable in the mix so you know where you're at in the fugue etc. From what I understand this is more easily done with period instruments than moderns, although moderns have the richer (and some would say more appealing sound) to the modern ear. The trick with Bach is that he makes it appear to be effortless, as do the musicians that perform his work. I think it's interesting to note that for works that are so based on form, they sound so free as to hide the underpinnings of how they are put together. In some ways I feel the Brandenburgs are the culmination of what the Baroque era set out to do - to provide beautiful melodies (esp ornamented) that are readily identifiable (in contrast to the rich polyphonic tradition that had gone before). I think it's music for pleasure and pleasure it does give. Speaking of CD's - I do also have Pinnock's excellent recording of the Brandenburgs coupled with the Orchestral Suites. It is my favorite period instrument version of the work (I also have Hogwood's with AAM but it has a kind of vinegary sound to my ear).