Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden Box Set Nov 5th

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-11-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a fan, but I see alot of posts in this forum about Iron Maiden so I thought I would post this for those interested...

Veteran U.K. heavy metal act Iron Maiden will survey its 20-year history with a six-disc box set of live material and a single-disc best-of set, each due Nov. 5 via Columbia (and a day earlier internationally). Both the "Eddie's Archive" box -- which will be available in a limited edition silver casket-shaped case -- and the "Edward the Great" collections are named for Eddie, the band's mascot.

"Eddie's Archive" boasts two double-disc sets ranging from the band's earliest performances through to 1998. Titled "BBC Archives," the first two discs were recorded between 1979 and 1988 for the British Broadcasting Corporation's "Friday Rock Show." The set features a 1979 studio session with original lead singer Paul Di'Anno, as well as Reading Festival appearances in 1980 and 1982, and a 1998 performance at the Monsters of Rock Donington (England) festival.

"Beast Over Hammersmith," the second pair of discs, is a complete show from Iron Maiden's 1982 Beast on the Road tour recorded at London's Hammersmith Odeon. For the "Eddie's Attic" release, the recording has been mixed by bassist Steve Harris and the band's longtime sound engineer Doug Hall. The booklet is a recreation of the official program from the tour, which lists all of the dates and includes notes written by the band at that time.

"These recordings encompass the early days with Paul Di'Anno through to [current singer] Bruce Dickinson's arrival," Maiden manager Rod Smallwood said in a statement. "I think they capture the essence of what the band was and still is all about: pure, raw energy, great musicianship and an in-your-face attitude."

The third pair of discs, dubbed "The Best of the B'Sides," is a collection of all of the studio recordings and some of the live cuts that have appeared as B-sides of the band's singles releases through the years. Among the list are covers of songs by some of Maiden's favorite bands, including Jethro Tull's "Cross-Eyed Mary," the Who's "My Generation," and UFO's "Doctor Doctor."

The limited-edition casket packaging is embossed with a picture of Eddie, and will also include a crystal Eddie Head shot glass and an individually numbered family tree scroll on parchment by Pete Frame. All of the double-CDs boast 24-page color booklets, with the first two featuring previously unseen photos of the band's various personnel.

Simultaneously released with the box set, "Edward the Great" features 16 tracks from across the band's career. The single-disc collection includes such well-known songs as "Run to the Hills," "Wasted Years," "The Wicker Man," and a live version of "Fear of the Dark" recorded at the Rock In Rio festival.

Earlier this year Iron Maiden played a few shows at London's Brixton Academy to benefit former drummer Clive Burr, who is suffering from multiple sclerosis (MS). The band plans to reconvene in the near future to begin the process of writing material for a new studio album due sometime next year.

Here is the full "Eddie's Archive" box set track list:

"BBC Archives" disc one:
(1979 - "Friday Rock Show" session)
"Iron Maiden"
"Running Free"
"Transylvania"
"Sanctuary"

(1989 - Reading Festival 1982
"Wrathchild"
"Run to the Hills"
"Children of the Damned"
"The Number of the Beast"
"22 Acacia Avenue"
"Transylvania"
"The Prisoner"
"Hallowed Be Thy Name"
"Phantom of the Opera"
"Iron Maiden"

"BBC Archives" disc two:
(1980 - Reading Festival)
"Prowler"
"Remember Tomorrow"
"Killers"
"Running Free"
"Transylvania"
"Iron Maiden"

(1988 - Monsters of Rock Festival Donington)
"Moonchild"
"Wrathchild"
"Infinite Dreams"
"The Trooper"
"Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"
"Hallowed Be Thy Name"
"Iron Maiden"

"Beast Over Hammersmith" disc one:
"Murders in the Rue Morgue"
"Wrathchild"
"Run to the Hills"
"Children of the Damned"
"Another Life"
"Killers"
"22 Acacia Avenue"
"Total Eclipse"

"Beast Over Hammersmith" disc one:
"Transylvania"
"The Prisoner"
"Hallowed Be Thy Name"
"Phantom of the Opera"
"Iron Maiden"
"Sanctuary"
"Drifter"
"Running Free"
"Prowler"

"Best of the B'Sides" disc one:
"Burning Ambition"
"Drifter" (live)
"Invasion"
"Remember Tomorrow" (live)
"I've Got the Fire"
"Cross-Eyed Mary"
"Rainbow's Gold"
"King of Twilight"
"Reach Out"
"That Girl"
"Juanita"
"The Sheriff of Huddersfield"
"Black Bart Blues"
"Prowler '88"
"Charlotte the Harlot '88"

"Best of the B'Sides" disc two:
"All in Your Mind"
"Kill Me Ce Soir"
"I'm a Mover"
"Communication Breakdown"
"Nodding Donkey Blues"
"Space Station No. 5"
"I Can't See My Feelings"
"Roll Over Vic Vella"
"Justice of the Peace"
"Judgment Day"
"My Generation"
"Doctor Doctor"
"Blood on the Worlds Hands" (live)
"The Aftermath" (live)
"Futureal" (live)
"Wasted Years '99" (live)

Here is the "Edward the Great" single disc best of track list:

"Run to the Hills"
"Flight of Icarus"
"The Trooper"
"2 Minutes to Midnight"
"Wasted Years"
"Can I Play With Madness"
"The Evil That Men Do"
"The Clairvoyant"
"Infinite Dreams"
"Holy Smoke"
"Bring Your Daughter... To the Slaughter"
"Man on the Edge"
"Futureal"
"The Wicker Man"
"Fear of the Dark" (live)
Old 09-11-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang! I was just about to post this too.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Up the IRONS!
Old 09-11-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's what the box set will look like.

Old 09-11-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Once again, a great opportunity missed. Too much repetition. Out of Piece Of Mind, Powerslave, and Somewhere In Time, there is one track between the 3. Pathetic. I really do not need to hear Number, Transylvania, Children, etc. 3 times each. I really want the B sides, but may have to pass if this one is not very reasonably priced.
Old 09-11-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do need to hear "Hallowed Be Thy Name" at least 3 times, though.
Old 09-11-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know what the list price is supposed to be?
Old 09-11-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
I read about this back in July on the Maiden site.
Seems the price will be $99.98 US Which is about Ģ65, €102, AUD$182
Start saving !
Out Nov 5th
Old 09-11-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd rather just have a b-sides disc, but if I ever find this cheap, I'll snatch it up. "Burning Ambition" is one of the best songs Maiden's ever done.
Old 09-11-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Eh.

Now the box looks really neat. But only if it's in bas-relief. If it's just a flat tin with stuff printed on it, it'll looke cheap and tacky.

The tracklist is only so-so. Too many live tracks. The problem with live Maiden tracks is that they really topped themselves with "Live After Death" and anything after that is sort of a let-down.

I'd much rather see a "B-Sides and other rarities" set without all of the other stuff.

One hundred bucks and no "Women in Uniform?" Yeesh.
Old 09-11-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait, no "Women in Uniform"? Why the hell wouldn't they include it? It's one of their singles for cryin' out loud. I guess they just wanted to give Di'Anno the short end of the stick. A shame, 'cause I liked him just as much as Dickinson.

Forget it, I'll just have a friend burn me a disc with a good tracklist (and minus the god-awful Blaze Bailey songs). Ya know, something like this could've been easily avoidable...
Old 09-12-02, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Yeah.

I wish there was a way to convince Steve Harris that the Blaze Bailey material blew and should be forgotten.

I mean, hell, Tom Warrior and Celtic Frost have disowned "Cold Lake" and the album wasn't that bad.*

I don't know what the deal with "Women in Uniform" is, though. They don't seem to want to release it in the States.

*Not that it WASN'T bad, mind you. It just wasn't as bad as it's reputation. It's sort of good in that it's delightfully awful. Whereas the Blaze Bailey stuff is just embarassing.
Old 09-12-02, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I already have all those B-sides (plus more). When Castle Records had re-released all the Maiden CDs for a short period there (everything from Iron Maiden to Fear of the Dark), they all came with a second disk of all the studio and live B-sides from that CD. All awsome picture disks too of different Eddies.

I re-bought the entire catalog and then Castle Records lost the contract or something and now all the CDs have been re-released by someone else as enhanced CDs with videos.
Old 09-12-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
The cds from castle sound like crap - but yes, they do have cool bonus discs. The newer re-releases sound much better.
Old 10-29-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by slop101
The cds from castle sound like crap - but yes, they do have cool bonus discs. The newer re-releases sound much better.
Don't tell me that!!

Looks like the box set and new Best Of have been pushed back to the 26th of November.
Old 10-29-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
I do need to hear "Hallowed Be Thy Name" at least 3 times, though.

it can't be any worse than KISS' 15 "best of" releases....
Old 10-29-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah.

I wish there was a way to convince Steve Harris that the Blaze Bailey material blew and should be forgotten.

The Klansman was great.