Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lust for Life

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lust for Life

Iggy Pop is great, Lust for Life is a great song.....but how many damned commercials are they gonna put the song on?

I mean, damn!

I've seen three or four different commercials with the song on them in the past hour.

And there's something about corporate america embracing a punk icon that makes me sort of squemish.
Old 08-31-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"You can't go around listening to ziggy pop all the time you know"

I love that line trainspotting.

Anyhow. yes, they really over use the song in commercials. though I am really hating the new critrona commercials where they use the clash. I want to hear the whole song, not just a snippet of one. Damn it, it really bugs me to just hear the opening line.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 08-31-02 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-31-02, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Hopefully, Iggy is seeing some of the money from all those commercials. If so, it doesn't bug me so much.
Old 08-31-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
does the song's owner get the majority of the money and he would in a sense get a few cents on the dollar for every time played?

Just a question about it all, but I thought musicians didn't get much along the lines of pay for how ever many times it is played, but the music company does.
Old 08-31-02, 03:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

ziggy needs the Song Exploitation Obviator

gregschmidt on this site I read the following general info about royalties:
Sometimes a publisher can make you richer than a lottery winner without you doing anything. Placing one of your old songs on a hit film whose soundtrack CD goes ballistic can earn you well over a million pounds, and a lot of new friends. To a slightly lesser extent (although they're still not to be sniffed at), TV adverts are also very nice little earners. A bunch of session players re-record your tune on union rates while you cop up to £10,000 a week in royalties (it can be an awful lot more if the ad is shown in cinemas). This may sound brilliant, but some people would disagree with you.

Take Sting: he wasn't that impressed by the huge amount of money his song 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' earned him when his publisher (at the time) allowed a deodorant company to use it for a TV advert. A year or so before he became famous, while still in Newcastle, he signed a deal with Virgin music. The terms were a 50/50 percentage split, and the company also spent over £2000 (a fair amount 21 years ago) demoing up Sting's band. One of the standard clauses stated that he had signed away his moral right to all the music he would write during the lifetime of the contract. Which meant that the publishers were free to use his music for any purpose which would generate money, without asking his permission. And, as the advert used a soundalike band, Sting couldn't even stop the advert due to unauthorised use of his performance.

As I recall, during the subsequent 11-day trial, he spent around £150,000 not to be able to buy his moral rights back, although the advert came off air shortly afterwards. However, he did raise his percentage to a rumoured 90/10 and shorten the length of the contract (as is the case in all industry legal wrangles, both sides kept very quiet about the details).
I guess it boils down to what is says in your publishing contract!
Old 08-31-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a 60-second rule in publishing royalty law: If your song exceeds 60 seconds in a movie or TV show or commercial you get paid royalties. If it goes under 60 seconds you don't get compensated.
My song went under the 60 second limit on Sofia Coppola's TV show and I didn't see a nickel even though Comedy Central screened the damn thing all day and night. And yes, I'm pissed. I'm entitled!
Old 09-01-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

what song is that devilpants?
Old 09-01-02, 04:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by devilpants
There's a 60-second rule in publishing royalty law: If your song exceeds 60 seconds in a movie or TV show or commercial you get paid royalties.
</small>The TV and film companies (now often owned by conglomerates with music interests) must have had a say in those rules. And I suspect that big names are kept happy should use of their material somehow fail the 60 second test!

Different than tv/film use, I know, but it seems that just a few seconds of sampling in a separate song can mean royalties must be shared!
Old 09-01-02, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find it interesting how some REALLY good songs seem to end up in commercials. Chemical Brothers, Hooverphonic, Moby, New Order... I've heard all these bands recently in ads. It doesn't bother me too much.
Old 09-01-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
what song is that devilpants?
"Tapeworm". My band Cockfight plays it on her show "Hi-Octane".

I learned about this law from the BMI handbook on royalties. This explains why MTV always leaks tiny snippets of songs on their shows (i.e. Road Rules, etc.) but you never hear the whole thing all the way through.
Old 09-03-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what you are saying is that if I was making a movie, I could play any song that I wanted to as long as it didn't hit the 60 second mark and I wouldn't get sued or is it that the publisher gets paid and not the muscians.
Old 09-03-02, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Publisher gets paid, and if you use a song in a movie. My best suggestion is to clear all the tape you can possible!