Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Which is the number one overrated band/artist?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Which is the number one overrated band/artist?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without them there is no Nirvana.
Maybe so, but I'll take Nirvana almost any day over the other Seattle bands simply because they had a sense of humor I rarely heard in the other bands. The only Seattle band I really liked from the early 90's other than Nirvana was the Screaming Trees.

I never understood why Nirvana's music was considered so groundbreaking. I love it, but it's not like nobody else was recording music like that. I think they'll be remembered more for how they were grasped by so many people at a time when "alternative" music was truly underground. Well, at least not all over commercial radio. Looking back, I almost wish they had never become so popular.
Old 08-17-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by grunter

RUSH
No. Apart from a small segment of hyper-ejaculatory fans, you will not here people claiming that Rush was nearly as influential as other rock bands of their era. The critics hate them. Most people can't stand Geddy's voice. You can call them all sorts of snide adjectives, but "overrated" is not applicable.
Old 08-17-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Andalusia

Yeah, well I can't rate the Beatles enough. Without the Beatles there to open the door, you wouldn't have your more "musically adventurous" bands to begin with. As for being influential, well, nobody escaped the Beatles influence.
I've heard this argument so many times over the years. I simply don't think it holds water. BTW, I own several Beatles albums, I don't dislike them.

I can name several bands just off the top of my head, from the same era, who did IMO much more important and influential music.

I'm not saying the Beatles weren't important or influential at all (that would be flat out denial)--but I think many people confuse their massive popularity with artistic achievement. I cannot pick any Beatles album off a shelf and have it still sound as relevant today as it did when it first came out. That is my benchmark for important essential music.
Old 08-17-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DMB
Old 08-17-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DJ Shadow is crazy overrated. The way you hear people talk about Endtroducing, you'd think he invented the turntable.
Old 08-17-02, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by codefree
Creed & Metallica -
I agree with Creed

Metallica, overrated...no way. People may be sick of them now, but back in their early days no one could touch them imo.
Old 08-17-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aghama, you've got balls calling DJ Shadow overrated... but I'll jump in and say I think you are right.
Old 08-17-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: who is the number one overrated band or artist of all time?

Originally posted by zak52

You start a thread about overrated bands and you call your most overrated band a great band. That doesn't make too much sense. Anyway, just because you say "Teen Spirit" wasn't their best song and Cobain isn't one of the best guitarists, why does this make them overrated?
i just think that they get too much credit than they deserve
Old 08-17-02, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by palebluedot
[B]Their live shows were awful with sound cluttering the stage and Cobain "bargle nawdle zoussing" his way around the lyrics./B]
Your mileage and mine obviously varied. I thouroughly enjoyed the show I caught just months before he died.
Old 08-17-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That being said - in the spirit of the thread - I'll offer my pick for a so-called "over-rated" band:

RUSH

Ok - they produced "Tom Sawyer." They wallow in out-dated synth sounds. Their drummer apparently punches 15 billion drumheads a second. Their light shows are -- like, awesome, man.

But I'm thoroughly convinced that the enduring "reputation" of the band is passed down from your emotionally-remote older (and somewhat seemingly cooler) siblings and perpetuated by wrong-headed word of mouth down through the ages. I remember that that was how Rush was introduced to me. Some older guys in high school were listening to 2112 or whatever one of those album-length concept albums were named. I thought they were cool. I thought I'd be cool if I listened to the same album. I bought it. Got promptly bored in the first 30 minutes and never looked back.

That being said - "Moving Pictures" isn't a completely awful album. It's just that it's influence is massively over-estimated.
Cool a debate...I can't believe I missed this...

Well I am a big time Rush fan, more this year than any because of the new album and tour, and yes call me a fanboy if you want...hell call me "Geddys Fluffer" I can take the heat.

Anyway let me defend them, it sounds to me like you really don't like their sound and they don't do it for you, and hey man that is cool, different strokes for different folks.

I actually got into Rush on my own, no one really opened me up to it, I bought Retrospective I and I was hooked.

A lot of people say that Rush sounds very cold and mechanical, but for some reason not to me, I love the lyrics, Neil Peart just writes damn good lyrics.

Musically there is so much depth and I can go back and listen to parts of songs and just really marvel at the genius of the riffs, the bass lines, and the synth parts...Geddy slams out a sick amount of notes in his bass lines...their are songs where Alex plays the lead, moves to rhythm...and back and forth between him and Geddy.

Their are bad points to them as well...hell I will say it...Moving Pictures is really overrated...frankly I think it produced the most radio freindly cuts...hell the two songs you hear the most on the radio are "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight"

They used way too much synth in the mid 80's and I generally don't like much of that period.

As far as the light show stuff...well I had never seen them live til this year so it didn't play a factor in it.

Old 08-18-02, 01:14 AM

Nirvana have the status that they do because they were the band that finally broke "punk" to the mainstream. Maybe not for everyone, maybe not for you - maybe you have some musty ripped up old "Flipper" t-shirt that proves you were there first. But in terms of pop culture, "punk" didn't "break" until Kurt howled about "an albino and a mosquito." "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the closest the American Top-40 ever got to bands like The Sex Pistols or The Dead Kennedys.
The Clash had a Top Ten album and single before Nirvana was even a dream. But really pointless as 'grunge' may have drawn on 'punk' for influence but Nirvana was not 'punk'. The Clash was punk.

And while Nirvana certainly was the first highly successful Seattle 'grunge' band (on the national charts) they owe their success to Soundgarden. Without Soundgarden drawing critical and studio attention to Seattle Nirvana may have never been discovered. And Soundgarden, Green River and Mudhoney started the whole grunge scene. Nirvana brought grunge to the charts, but they weren't the great innovators. Of course, how many of the 'great' bands don't owe their sound to many lesser known artists? I wouldn't say they are the most overrated, but a 'punk' to the mainstream argument or a pioneer band argument is stretching things a bit.

Any argument that The Beatles are overrated is choosing to ignore the sheer number of artists that acknowledge The Beatles as a primary influence. It's choosing to ignore the number of #1 albums and singles. It's choosing to ignore how different their sound was in their first album and their last album, and the number of changes that occurred in between as well as the number of bands that came about following up on any of those various sounds.

And I won't touch the Elvis is overrated argument...

I think it's easy to say such and such an artist is overrated because you don't care for their music. And judging an artist based on personal tastes is, well, entirely subjective. Which is why I choose a different approach to assessing an artists 'value'. I think looking at how many subsequent artists are influenced by that artist is a more objective way of looking at things. If an artist y says "I was influenced by x", it seems to indicate that x reached y, x did something that y found unique, inspirational, or innovative. If you find a large number of artists saying they were influenced by x then x must have reached a large audience, which says something about x. And if a large number of artists attain success critically or commericially being influenced by x then x must have done something right...

So who would I say is the most overrated artist? Well there are just too many bubblegum pop artists to choose from, but I guess I'd say Madonna. She started out as a pure pop artist with absolutely nothing original to offer. Since then she's tried to be innovative, but hasn't brought anything new to the music world. And while there are artists that will claim Madonna as an influence, they will almost universally say it was her success that inspired them, but their musical influences lie elsewhere...

Sorry for the length, set out to make a quick response, but my fingers just ran away with my thoughts...

Last edited by jim_cook87; 08-18-02 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-18-02, 03:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

I believe that it is consistent to say, as the threadstarter does, that band/artist "x" is great and/or sells well but that they are over rated: commercial success does not automatically equate to lasting critical acclaim or artistic influence.

And I think it is acceptable to cite influence because otherwise the remaining implied definition of "over rated" is one that can only be used as a stick to bash individual fans for the extent to which they "rate" or support a band that someone else thinks does not merit the attention: perhaps less bashing/boosting and more evidence for or against the influence of a band/artist would prevent this "discussion" from stalling. <small>
Originally posted by jim_cook87
I think it's easy to say such and such an artist is overrated because you don't care for their music. And judging an artist based on personal tastes is, well, entirely subjective. Which is why I choose a different approach to assessing an artists 'value'. I think looking at how many subsequent artists are influenced by that artist is a more objective way of looking at things. If an artist y says "I was influenced by x", it seems to indicate that x reached y, x did something that y found unique, inspirational, or innovative. If you find a large number of artists saying they were influenced by x then x must have reached a large audience, which says something about x. And if a large number of artists attain success critically or commericially being influenced by x then x must have done something right...
</small>Apologies for quoting so much straight after Jim's post, but this mirrors my own thinking.

Simply attacking one's pet hates and/or defending one's favourites without making this kind of analyis is getting away from the point, IMO.
Old 08-18-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
The Beach Boys, specifically Brian Wilson.

I like the Beach Boys and all, but every article about him has to talk about how he's a genius. It just seems excessive to me.
Old 08-18-02, 06:22 PM

Bob Dylan's current material. His vocals are terrible, regardless of his praised lyrics.

Bruce Springsteen - see Bob Dylan.

Sheryl Crow - interesting style (rock songs with country-ish lyrics), but her voice is incredibly thin, in the Janet Jackson and Paul Abdul realm.

Eminem - his lyrics are too pop culturally current and will be seriously dated in years to come. Also, he rivals Michael Jackson in terms of self-pity.

Michael Jackson - Off the Wall and Thriller are his only two decent albums in my opinion. HIStory being nominated for Grammy's album of the year was a travesty.

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill wasn't that good.

Moby - there's so many other better electronic artists.

James Taylor - sorry, just not my cup of tea.

I wouldn't say Creed nor Dave Matthews Band, since they generally receive poor critical reviews. For Creed's Cleveland concert they banned the local reviewer due to the Plain Dealer's poor review of their album. The reviewer snuck in, listened to the concert in the hallway, and gave them an even more scathing review.

- Matt

Last edited by MatthewCho; 08-18-02 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-18-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, here are my two choices.

1) Janis Joplin - she may hve been a good songwriter, but she has the worst singing voice ever. Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz has to be the most grating song ever. Drugs and an early death were the main culprits for her fame.

2) Tool- I like Tool, but I guess I just don't get it. They are a solid hard rock band, but I wouldn't ready that rock hall of fame plaque yet.

As far as this Nirvana debate goes, I think that they were a very good band. Some of their unreleased b-sides are much better than anything out there today, but I just want to make a couple of points as well as cover any factual errors.

1) the first Alice in Chains album was released after Nirvana released Bleach. Ignoring the secondary point that they aren't really similar since IMHO AIC was more of a metal band, Nirvana technically came 1st. If you don't want to go on albums to date the bands, there is some solo Cobain stuff on the net that even predates that which is similar to Nirvana's sound.

2) The Clash and Nirvana aren't in the same league as far as types of music. Try to find a Nirvana song similar to "Should I stay or Should I go?"

3) I think that Nirvana bashing among rock music fans is the new way to get credibility on internet music discussion boards. If the true purpose of this thread is to bash Nirvana, then do a search next time. This has been done before. If this is not the purpose, than my apologies.
Old 08-18-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My pick would be RadioHead.

I see many asskissing(it seems to me) reviews & raves about them like they are the greatest band in the world to ever exist!

Yet i try listening to their last couple albums & couldn't stand them. They all sounded the same,slow,boring pointless stuff that is irritating to hear. Watched abit of a concert of them on MTV & god it was horrible. The lead singer badly playing a piano,trying to be 'deep' & 'philisophical'..yet came off as incoherent blabbering with no rythm at all...unless you are stoned & it somehow makes sense to you then. Since i'm always sober...i judge in a rational frame of mine...some music & lyrics hit a nerve with me & pull me in,gets really deep & just amazing....while some put me to sleep like RadioHead.

Dave Mathew's Band is another band i just can't stand for the same reasons as Radiohead & don't get why they are praised so much.
Old 08-18-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Damn, somebody else already said TOOL.

I don't get them at all. It's repetitive, droning, shows no imagination, and their biggest "influence" seems to be making bands have weak frontmen. But they have this huge, rabid following. I've encountered it many other places, both on and off line. I couldn't believe how many people were seriously offended once when I stated in a different forum (not a TOOl or music forum, either) that
Spoiler:
Quiet Riot were better than TOOL

I don't really like Radiohead, either, but at least I understand where they're coming from. I just find them boring. Maybe someday they'll realize that there's more to life than mid70's Pink Floyd albums.
Old 08-18-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
My three picks would be:

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Bruce Springsteen

All have written/performed some good (sometimes great) material from time to time, but not as great (nor as consistent over time) as some of their die-hard fans would have you believe.
Old 08-18-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How many Radiohead albums is the "last couple?" Considering the jumps they've made from album to album, I find it hard to believe that anyone could say all the songs sound the same, like it or not.

Pablo Honey to The Bends - I can't comment much on, its the one I don't own, and I've only heard it once at a friend's house. The move from The Bends to OK Computer was where the beginning of the Radiohead change started occurring. All of a sudden you have a CD with rather straight forward rock songs going to small experimentations such as "Climbing Up the Walls" and the extremely elaborate "Paranoid Android." I don't even need to explain the jump from OK Computer to Kid A. Now the band did not move from Kid A to Amnesiac...but there is a good reason for that. The discographies for those 2 albums were all recorded at one time, but the band removed some tracks (those that went onto Amnesiac) from the final cut because they didn't mesh as well.

I can understand calling them "boring, slow, and pointless" because everyone has a different taste in music. However, monotony just does not suit with Radiohead.

My over-rated pick would have to go with Dashboard Confessional. Everywhere I turn, somebody is talking about how profoundly deep and moving his lyrics are. To me, he spouts out the same drivel about ruined relationships. I don't find much that is very innovative in his guitar playing either. I'd much rather listen to Nick Drake or Neutral Milk Hotel.

Last edited by fallow; 08-18-02 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-18-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I never really understood TOOL either,radio stations & fans saying they're the best band in the world today!

I will admit...some of their stuff is good..I finnaly heard their first album at a friends house(she's a major TOOL & Nirvana die hard obsessed fan) & suprising the album was good..& actually rocked! I mean it sounded different than their latest stuff thats always played on the radio...yet still had a few similar sounding songs...still i was suprised...though still don't get why they are considered 'great'.

+ my freind for some reason loves Kurt Cobain & is obsessed with him still! her dog once stepped on her poster of his which she had lieing on the floor...she yelled at the dog "NO!..bad dog...this is A GOD!" & made the dog get out of her room.It's a very tiny little mut to,lol..still it's funny how she's so nuts over Cobain.

I like Nirvana...but i never considred them great or the best most important band ever..& got over Cobains death,hardly affected me at all unlike other's who seemed to follow him as a leader & now are not sure what to do.

In fact once in school,1997 this girl who strangly resembles my friend Michelle who i mentioned above(though she lvies far away,so it could not be her!)..anyway she brings some cds into class. Asks the subsitute if she can put on some to pass the time & puts on Nirvana:Unplugged in NY which is a great sad album & everyone starts telling her to put on something else,the musics to depressing & i comment about Kurt being dead,since he killed himself & this girl freaks out in confusion,she does not want to hear that he is dead..& i say "yes he is!"..& she cluelessly says "NO he's not!!"..& got offended even though i didn't say it in a mean spirited way..was just being honest & said it casualy...she got so upset,about to cry & ran out of the room!!

Haven't seen her since.

As for Dashboard Confesional,are they really popualr with people actually saying they are great,deep song writer's & so on??

I saw their unplugged performance on MTV..& almost burst out laughing. There one song on the radio right now 'screaming infidelities' or whatever it's called is an alright song,i like it somewhat..but theres no way i'm buying their cd after hearing the songs on MTV. They were the same 'lost love/break up/sad/lonely/depressed' ect type songs which got old very fast. It was even more creepy watching the audience sing along out loud knowing all the words by heart,when the cd is new & this is the first i've ever heard the other songs! Though i'm sure if there next album is the same old as this one,they will be forgetten fast!

If i ever made an ablum. I'd try to tackle very things,yet jump all over from sad to happy & somewhere in between..rather than being the same old,same old whiny gets boring fast music!
Old 08-19-02, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Michael Jackson...he sucks and still sells so many records, and the same goes for his sister!
Old 08-19-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

u could say that creed is a little over rated since 2 of there albums have sold 5 million, and human clay (with arms wide open, higher) sold 10 million
Old 08-19-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by benedict
I believe that it is consistent to say, as the threadstarter does, that band/artist "x" is great and/or sells well but that they are over rated: commercial success does not automatically equate to lasting critical acclaim or artistic influence.

But Nirvana was a commerical success and they still have lasting critical acclaim today. If anyone says they weren't an influence on many bands that came after them then they weren't paying attention in the early 90's. I don't think your statement fits well with Nirvana.
Old 08-19-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Dashboard Confessional, but I don't know how anyone could say they are overrated??? I would actually say they are one of the most picked on bands of late (behind Creed, of course). Creed is another band who I don't think can be called overrated. I don't like their music, but neither do most critics or people on this forum.

I would think that to be overrated, you're music would have to be considered really good by most reviewers and critics... I don't think Creed or DC fit this bill.
Old 08-19-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To say that The Beatles are over-rated is a joke. Their impact on the music scene is immeasurable. Their influence is likewise immeasurable. Regardless of whether their sound is as fresh today as it was 30+ years ago is bunk. I simply do not buy into the "dated" description when it comes to art, music or literature. Is Beethoven "dated"? Is Picasso "fresh"? What this has to do with impact on the medium in question is beyond me.

Elvis Presley: See above paragraph - and let it be said that he was an influence for The Beatles.

Anyway, here's my list of bands that I consider over-rated:

1. Nirvana - if Kurt hadn't blown his head off would this band be as acclaimed? I think not.

2. Radiohead - the first two albums were wonderful. Everything since has been an excercise in whiny, pretentious shite.

3. The Grateful Dead - listen to the music without the drugs and what do you get? Not much.

4. Bob Dylan - Yes, he inspired countless musicians. But I honestly cannot fathom why. It's amazing what a bit of hype, critical acclaim and manipulation can do to a generation of listeners. Of course, you could throw my Beatles argument back in my face - but whatever, my opinion, whether hypocritical or not, stands!

5. The Rolling Stones - some brilliant early work - but honestly, the past 25 years have been stale.

Disclaimer: My opinion. YMMV.

-matt

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.