Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are Classical cd audio levels all over the place?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I understand that many works have quiet passages and soft music in different places and that headphones or a quiet high end car are probably the best ways to enjoy Classical cd's.

But when I listen in my car the quiet parts go so low I turn it up then a loud part blasts and it sucks.

Why can't they even out the levels so that one doesn't have to do "Level riding" while listening.

AUDIOPHILES can you help me understand this? Am I buying the wrong cd's? Are there companies out there that are conscience of this? Am I approaching the listening experience wrong?
Old 07-24-02, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

help....
Old 07-24-02, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, didn't you just answer your question in the first sentence? Evening out the levels would be screwing with how the music was intended to be presented.
Old 07-24-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this annoys me, too, so I never listen to classical unless I'm in a quiet listening environment.

The dynamics are most definitely part of the composer's intent. Soft passages are meant to be really soft, which makes the loud, driving passages stand out more.

Remember: a good chunk of this stuff was written long before the idea of recording even came about: you're supposed to hear it live in a concert hall.

While I do find it annoying that I can't listen to classical except at home (or live), I'm willing to accept it given that the dynamics of the piece often create much of its interest.

(what fun would any of Beethoven's symphonies be if they had flat dynamics (i.e. were loud all the time)?)
Old 07-24-02, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find that the only way (outisde of attending a live performance) to fully enjoy classical music without blowing out your eardrums is to use headphones in a fairly quiet setting. Same with musical theatre recordings.
Old 07-24-02, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Aghama
Um, didn't you just answer your question in the first sentence? Evening out the levels would be screwing with how the music was intended to be presented.
But I'm asking if there's a way to do it without screwing up the intent. I think there IS a way.
Old 07-24-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dynamics are not just written on the music but are also many times left up the the conductor. being one myself, i can say that my interpretation of louds and softs are not the same and another conductor's.

as for a way to fix the volume problem, i really don't think there is a way that wouldn't destroy the intent of the music. think about if you are enjoying a live performance with no background noise. even then there is a noticable difference in volume that is an integral part of the music. unfortunately, when you are in a car, there is so much background noise that some of the very soft parts are inaudible unless you turn the volume up. i think that to try and fix it would defeat the purpose of the music.
Old 07-24-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think a --small--- boost of the LOW LEVEL parts wouldn't hurt. But that's just me.

end of thread.