Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

DMB : "Busted Stuff" discussion thread.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, Alright...i just couldn't wait until Tuesday [or whenever CDNow decides they wanna ship it].

I'm listening to it now, so i'll give my first impressions.

This album rocks!

Well, it doesn't really rock -- so to speak. For the most part it's a mellow album. We've already heard 8 of the 11 songs. But the majority [if not all] of what i've heard has been re-recorded. And as used to "the Lillywhite Sessions" as I am, I think i'm gonna like this version better. Although, they make great companion pieces.
Old 07-11-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try doing a search next time... there have been many threads started about this already (myself included.. *d'oh*)

the primary thread is here!
-di doctor-
Old 07-11-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah I saw that one. But i'm specifically interested in discussion about Busted Stuff. Not about tours, trading, etc...

And one visit to the sports forum [search for wrestling ] shows that there can be more than one thread about similar topics.
Old 07-11-02, 01:34 PM

those were my thoughts exactly when i started my Dave Matthews Band "Busted Stuff" - questions, reviews, and whatnot thread.. but the mods merged mine into the "big" one... so i'm with you... but i have a feeling this one will probably just get locked now..
-di doctor-
Old 07-11-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Mods? Mods?? We don't need no stinkin' Mods!!!

They still owe me one since they didn't start up a forum [similar to SW: Attack Of the Clones] for Scooby Doo when it came out!

Seriously though...i like ya guys.

[Except for Static who, after this [http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=205460] has me hypersensitive about spoilers now ]
Old 07-14-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Dave & the guys rocked the hell outta Carson last nite. They also addressed the Lillywhite situation. They replay Carson on E!, but i'm not sure what they do about the hour long shows. This one's definitely a keeper.

This weekend, i've been alternating between DMB's "Busted Stuff" & Counting Crows "Hard Candy" [another great album -- go pick it up].
Old 07-14-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait to pick this up on Tuesday. I look forward to hearing reworked Lillywhite songs!

(P.S., I think this is also different than a "tours, trades, etc." thread, so I'm wit u! )
Old 07-14-02, 10:27 PM
Retired

I agree, we don't need a "one and only" DMB thread. One and Only threads suck.

The other thread should be "The DMB taping and trading thread" and all other DMB discussions can have their own thread, assuming they aren't duplicate posts.

Anyway, I can't wait to pick this up Tuesday.
Old 07-14-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

In case you guys didn't know -- this Tuesday only, Best Buy & Circuit City will have it for $9.99.

It's funny...I didn't care much for "Grey Street" on tLS, but I love it on BS. Conversely, I loved "Grace Is Gone" on tLS, but don't care much for the BS version. I haven't compared the versions, so this could all be in my head.

Also...for those of you that didn't catch Carson on Friday, if you use the net, i'm sure you can find it.
Old 07-15-02, 12:41 AM
Banned

Yeah, they were awesome on Carson the other night...but for God's sake, why does this tool have a show? You could tell the whole band couldn't stand him....let alone 99% of the TV audience I'm sure.

Whatever the case, they were amazing. I was also glad to see them perform some lesser known songs off Everyday.
Old 07-15-02, 11:35 PM

what did they say about "the Lillywhite situation"? i'm very curious?!

do they hold any ill will towards Steve Lillywhite? (i'm sure i'm not the only one who has the sneaking suspicion that he let them out...)

anyway, i'm very curious to know..

on a different note, i am SO anxious to hear the new album.. SO anxious...
-di doctor-
Old 07-16-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Finally got it!

I like the cover, but thanks to the color schemes of the booklet some of the lyrics are very hard to read.

Anyways...

On the DVD disc [called "Some Other Stuff"] there are two live performances. Bartender & When the World Ends. Both from Colorado 07.11.2001. And the audio only 5.1 mix of Bartender.

As far as tLS situation Doc -- they really didn't assign blame to anyone or discuss their relationship with Steve Lillywhite, but Dave said that the leak was similar to being a painter, stepping away from the painting [which is unfinished] then find it hanging in an art gallery. [if it sounds familar, he said he's said this many times] The tool asked the band if anyone d/l music off the net. Since Carter was the one who initially d/l tLS, he said that was it for him. Then Dave was talking about his neice who d/l music but then buys the CD if she likes it. [But he wasn't sure if it was because he's her uncle ]

And as far as Carson goes...well Mike_AA, if you think he was bad with Dave & the gang, you should've seen the show the night before with James Lipton. Ugh.
Old 07-16-02, 12:16 PM
Retired

Picked this up at Circuit City for $9.99 a couple hours ago. Great disc. I think most of the songs sound better than their Lillywhite Session counterparts, and "Where Are You Going" and "You Never Know" are great.

This could easily end up being my favorite album of theirs.
Old 07-16-02, 02:26 PM
Banned

Yeah i bought this for 9.99 today at Best Buy and almost every song is an improvement over their Lillywhite versions.

Standouts over their lillywhite counterparts were: Grey Street, Raven, Kit Kat Jam, and Bartender.

All around, the album is definitely awesome.

-J
Old 07-16-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the Bartender and Grey St. versions from tLWS so much better. Both sound a little "canned" (for a lack of a better word).

Still a great disc, though. Captain and Kit Kat Jam are improvements over tLWS. You never know is good too. The live Bartender from the DVD is amazing.
Old 07-16-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I picked this one up today and didn't like it very much. After buying his last 4 albums, I have decided that all of them sound too much alike and he hasn't really taken any steps to try anything new. I was disappointed with this album.
Old 07-16-02, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
I picked this one up today and didn't like it very much. After buying his last 4 albums, I have decided that all of them sound too much alike and he hasn't really taken any steps to try anything new. I was disappointed with this album.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I have to say that is without a doubt the worst analysis of dave matthews band albums I have ever heard and will ever hear in my life.
Old 07-16-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Well, that's the analysis, simple and to the point. I think all of this stuff sounds alike. It doesn't need to be analyzed any deeper than that. If you don't like my analysis, too bad.
Old 07-16-02, 09:46 PM
Retired

Sebastian, discussions tend to go better if you respectfully disagree with people, rather than being rude.

Anyway, I agree that DMB's albums sound similar, but personally I don't think they sound the same at all.

I for one am glad that they've stuck with more or less the same sound. I hate when bands put out albums that sound exactly the same, but I also hate when bands change their sound too much.

There needs to be a balance between new sounds and keeping the sound that made me like them in the first place.

IMO DMB has achieved this.
Old 07-16-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Listening to it right now, "Where are You Going" is a great song, a worthy addition to my top DMB songs...
Old 07-17-02, 12:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by sebastianv50
I'm not trying to start a fight, but I have to say that is without a doubt the worst analysis of dave matthews band albums I have ever heard and will ever hear in my life.
Sebastian, I couldn't agree with you anymore.

Cdollaz, what kind of music do you listen to? I'm interested.

-J
Old 07-17-02, 02:33 AM

Yeah, I want to know about these bands that come out with completely different sounding albums and still manage to keep all of their fans.
Old 07-17-02, 02:33 AM

to keep on topic (ahem *nudge* )..

i like the new album.. i actually think the opposite of Tommy_Harn, in that Bartender and Grey St are actually better on Busted Stuff.. the thing that pisses me off most.. the thing that is a BIG disappointment is the changed lyrics of Big Eyed Fish.
the original lyrics were very adept and clever, albeit very depressing.. now they are more hokey and less depressing. sure, it gives the song a lighter feel, but the earlier lyrics fit it better IMO.

the lines in particular are Lillywhite Sessions: "a fish's dreams should stay in the sea", "now he's dead, cause everybody knows you've got to breathe" whereas Busted Stuff (respectively to the Lillywhite Sessions): "beneath the sea is where a fish should be", "now he's dead you see the silly man should know you've got to breathe".

"silly man"...?! c'mon dave... sure it's lighter in spirit, but it doesn't fit the song as well as the earlier version. ick.

anybody else think this? am i crazy?
-di doctor-
Old 07-17-02, 02:38 AM

Let me try to explain my previous comment. I thought the analysis was bad because I have a lot of friends that are huge dave matthews fans, and they and I all seem to think that the albums sound fairly different and that is what's cool about the band. I'd like someone here to explain to me how you could say Everyday sounds anything like Busted Stuff because expect for maybe a few songs it doesnt. They have electric guitar in Everyday. Before These Crowded Streets sounds much different than there other albums too, and I like it a lot. I'm sorry but I never thought I would hear anyone say that dmb albums sounds the same.
Old 07-17-02, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there only the lyrics for 5 songs? Hmm...

Personally, after a quick listen, I prefer the Lillywhite Sessions cuts of most of these songs (well, all of them). But, that's probably just become I'm used to them -- I'll enjoy them with time, I'm sure.

As for the statement that Dave hasn't really progressed from Crash to Busted Stuff, well, I couldn't agree more. Even from Crash to Before these Crowded Streets, the sound changed dramatically (more spiritual, lots of gospel background, etc.) Then from BTCS to Everday, the sound again changed (less acoustic, etc.) And now, it's changed again. Again, that's just my opinion -- but I think of all the things one could say about DMB, lack of progression isn't one of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.