Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Any Echo & the Bunnymen fans out there?

Old 05-17-02, 10:10 PM
Banned

Any Echo & the Bunnymen fans out there?

Just curious. They're my favorite band. Have been for years and years.
Old 05-18-02, 12:36 AM

Well, can't say I have been a lifelong fan, but I am more familiar with them after Donnie Darko.

Selina
Old 05-18-02, 12:47 AM

I've been a fan since the early 80's. I'll never forget watching "Sugar Kisses" on MTV when they actually played videos.

They played Portland several months ago and I had to miss the show. I heard it was really good though!

What's your favorite song?

*meow*
Old 05-18-02, 01:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mariakitty
I've been a fan since the early 80's. I'll never forget watching "Sugar Kisses" on MTV when they actually played videos.

They played Portland several months ago and I had to miss the show. I heard it was really good though!

What's your favorite song?

*meow*
That was a good show. For me it was the 10th time I've seen them.

Wouldn't say I have a favorite song. I guess if I HAD to choose it would be With a Hip.

I'm more inclined to rank them by album thusly:

1) Heaven Up Here

2) Crocodiles

3) Porcupine

4) Ocean Rain

5) Flowers

6) Evergreen

7) What are You Going to Do With Your Life

8) Reverberation

9) Echo and the Bunnymen

As you can see I really go for the older stuff. I really like the new disc Flowers though.
Old 05-18-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The vast bulk of my tastes are late 70's, early 80's punk/new wave/postpunk stuff---really into early U2, Smiths, Jam, Clash, Siouxsie, Cure, etc. For some reason, I kind of missed Echo and the Bunnymen when they were together, but since then I've gotten more and more into them---really fantastic band. I got the Crystal Days box set for Christmas, and I'm really loving it---especially some of their earlier stuff like "Pictures on My Wall", and "Villiars Terrace"--but I really enjoy the stuff from all their stages. I really liked both of Ian's solo albums, and I also thought Evergreen was a great album--but the one after that (What are you going to do...)----I didn't care for at all.

I saw them with Psychedelic Furs in Boston this last Winter and was totally psyched! I just think Will Sergeant's guitar playing is magnificent.
Old 05-18-02, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ky-Fi
I just think Will Sergeant's guitar playing is magnificent.
No question about it. Will may be the most underappreciated guitar player of the last 30 years.
Old 05-18-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also really like this band. "The Killing Moon" is fantastic. And I've been pleasantly surprised with some of their newer material.
One of my favorite CD's of the 90's was Ian's solo cd "Mysterio".
I believe that recording is a gem.
Old 05-19-02, 01:34 PM
Banned

Are you kidding????? I LOOOVE EaTB!! Been into them since I was a freshman in HS(over 10 years ago)...When I first heard Bedbugs and Ballyhoo I went bannanas! I HAD to find out what band that was...

My favorite songs are:

Bedbugs(Club remix)-which is extremely hard to find on CD!
Lips like sugar(extended) another rarity!
Rescue
Killing Moon
A Promise
People are Strange

Never had the pleasure of seeing them live though

Ian McCulloch is just brilliant! I enjoy his solo album Candleland, but I haven't heard his other solo CDs. Are any of them better than Candleland? Faith and Healing, Proud to Fall, and Start Again are awesome.

I listen to random songs off my Crustal Days box set at least twice a week. I was kinda dissapointed that they didn't put the extended versions of Lips Like Sugar and Bedbugs on it though

One thing about their music is that it doesn't get tired or boring. You can listen to it sorta in a casual, passive way and it sounds pleasant everytime you turn it on.

Oh and check Ian's contribution on 808State's album Gorgeous...it's the 2nd track on it and it's called err...umm...the title escapes me right now but anyway it's very cool.

By they way is anyone here into Ocean Blue or The Trashcan Sinatras? A couple of very underrated bands imo. Ocean Blue particularly is very good, and is sort of a Smiths kinda mellow sound to them.
Old 05-19-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked up my first Echo CD a few weeks back: Echo & The Bunnymen.
Old 05-19-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My love for this band came to me in a dream. Literally.

I used to fall asleep with the radio on when I was in highschool. One night I switched the radio to the new "alternative" radio station. I think it was called "The Quake", later to migrate to another frequency and call themselves Live105. Anyway, I fell asleep with the radio tuned to this new wave station.

Later that night I dreamt someone was singing a beautiful melancholy song to me. All I could recall was "Bring on the dancing horses wherever they may roam...shiver and say the words to all the lies you've known..."

I must have awakened at some point during the song because I remember hearing a voice say "....and the bunnymen with their new song..." I drifted off again.

I woke up the next morning with that song in my head. Went out that afternoon after school and sang the song to a record store employee, who promptly told me what the song was and who sang it.

Of course, the same thing happened with Bauhaus. I fell asleep, only to hear "Bela Lugosi's Dead" in a dream.
Old 05-19-02, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Scorpio
I picked up my first Echo CD a few weeks back: Echo & The Bunnymen.
Yikes! Ditch that one right now and go get Porcupine or Ocean Rain. The self titled Echo & the Bunnymen is their worst album.
Old 05-19-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

isamu, wow... you just mentioned one of my all time favorite bands... The Trash Can Sinatras. Their CD "I've Seen Everything" is one of the few CD's I can still play 9 years later and simply not get sick of at all. And the Ocean Blue's "Beneath the Rhythm & Sound" is another incredibly good recording.

You said you don't have Ian's second solo CD "Mysterio". Allmusic.com says "Candleand" is a better Cd, but I disagree. There are a few good songs on "Candleland", but "Mysterio" is great from start to finish. There are a couple of songs produced by Robin Guthrie from the Cocteau Twins and it sounds amazing. I think this CD and the Ocean Blue CD I love are hard to find now (maybe not used on Ebay).

Surf Monkey, gotta disagree with ya on the self-title Bunnymen album being the worst.
Old 05-19-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally I found Mysterio and Candleland to be of just about the exact same quality, as far as number of good songs, types of songs and overall sound---I really like both of them a lot.

Evergreen gets a lot of play from me-----GREAT songs, IMO. "Too Young to Kneel" is one of my all time favorites.

I never heard anything off their Electrafixion thing---how was that?
Old 05-20-02, 06:57 AM
Cool New Member

Gotta love Ian's Mysterio album. Anyone pick up the Bunnymen's, "Live in Liverpool" cd? Is it worth picking up? I'm hoping they'll release a DVD of their concert, since I haven't had a chance to catch them live yet.
Old 05-20-02, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Surf Monkey, gotta disagree with ya on the self-title Bunnymen album being the worst.
One word: Rollercoaster.

Then again I am an 'old school' Bunnymen fan. Love the first three, can listen to Ocean rain, think most of the rest have major problems. Love Flowers though!
Old 05-20-02, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ky-Fi
I never heard anything off their Electrafixion thing---how was that?
Not bad. They tried to do the whole Post Grunge thing and it worked in a weird sort of way.

I really think Will's strength is in playing subtle guitar lines so I find the Electrafixion songs a little too forceful to showcase that fact. Worth checking out though!

Also, go for Will's World Wide Glide. Really interesting semi-ambient stuff. He recorded a bunch of it right here in Portland.
Old 05-20-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info, SM---I never even heard about World Wide Glide---I'll have to look for that.
Old 05-20-02, 07:43 PM
Banned

atlantamoi - I haven't heard that Beneath the Rhythm & Sound CD from the Ocean Bleu but I heard on another website that it's very good. The only ones I own from them are the first self titled album, and their second album(the title escapes) with Ballerina Out of Control on it. The latter being extremely cool! If Beneath the Rhythm & Sound is anywhere as good as those previous two I'm gunna pick it up ASAP!

I also own "I've seen everything" by The Trashcan Sinatras but haven't had the chance to give it a good listen. I absolutely love their first CD "Cake" though. The second to last song(where he's singing about childhood) is absolutely stunning!

I'll have to pick up Everything's Gone Green as soon as I get a chance. Just bought "Flowers" but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I often give "Songs to Learn and Sing" a regular whirl on the CD player though(I can't believe they didn't include People are Strange on that compilation).

What do you guys think about The Mighty Lemon Drops? I've only heard one song from them called "Out of Hand" available on the Sire compilation but it simply ROCKS!! How is their other stuff? Will I like them if I like EatB The Smiths or Ocean Blue?

I also been listening to The Clash lately too

Electrafixion...is that the one without Ian on it?
Old 05-20-02, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by isamu

Electrafixion...is that the one without Ian on it?
Nope. Bunnymen mark II had Noel Burke on vocals.

Electrafixion has Will, Ian and a couple of other guys. It was after Pete died and without Less Patinson on bass.
Old 05-20-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ya' know, I always confuse them with The Psychedelic Furs. When I bought the Bunnymen album, it was the Furs I was thinking about. I had confused song titles, ie: Love My Way, which I've been meaning to pick up for years. But, I'm not unhappy with my purchase and at least I have Lips Like Sugar now.
Old 05-20-02, 10:35 PM

Caved in and bought the Region 2 DVD edition of "Live in Liverpool" just my luck a Region 1 release will probably happen in the near future. The camera work and effects are a tad shoddy, but it's great to hear and see the songs performed live.

Another Ocean Blue fan here
Old 05-20-02, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Giles
Caved in and bought the Region 2 DVD edition of "Live in Liverpool" just my luck a Region 1 release will probably happen in the near future. The camera work and effects are a tad shoddy, but it's great to hear and see the songs performed live.

Another Ocean Blue fan here
I've seen the Bunnymen so many times. They put on an amazing show. I'm very psyched to get the LIPA DVD. I'm also interested in seeing pictures of the LIPA itself. Go McCartney go!
Old 05-21-02, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, I love this thread! I'm so sick of this post-grunge crap and talking about some of these bands is nice.

Mighty Lemon Drops to me were always a secondary band that was heavily influenced by Echo. BUT, I do very much like some of their recordings. Their first album kind of follows the Echo path in that their first try is rougher sounding than their other stuff. I think the first CD they have is expanded with an EP that came out around the same time (1986/7). I enjoyed their 2nd proper recording as well, but feel they sort of started going downhill after that. Any Echo fan would probably get a kick out of these guys.
Old 05-24-02, 09:49 PM
Banned

Bump-0-ritis!!!!!
Old 10-30-05, 11:07 PM
Banned

I think this thread deserves a bump, what with the recent release of "Siberia." Have my tickets to the November 25th show at the Metro, and am psyched. I'll try to rank the Echo albums as best I can, in order of preference:

1. Ocean Rain
2. Crocodiles
3. Porcupine
4. What Are You Going to Do With Your Life?
5. Siberia
6. Heaven Up Here
7. Echo and the Bunnymen
8. Evergreen
9. Flowers

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.