Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dave Matthews Band 2002 setlist thread

Old 04-21-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4/21: Molson Centre, Montreal, Canada

So Much To Say *
Granny *
You Never Know *
Lover Lay Down *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *
Big Eyed Fish -->
Bartender *
What You Are *
Crush *
Grey Street *
Where Are You Going *
Drive In Drive Out *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Sleep To Dream Her * -->
Grace Is Gone *
Raven *
Two Step *+~

Aint It Funny How Time Slips Away
(#40)
Ants Marching *

Special Guests:

* Butch Taylor
+ Bela Fleck
~ The Flecktones

Whoa! Best show of the season so far! Tonight's Two Step was 29 minutes long.. imagine how long the shows would be if they started bringing the Flecktones out on more songs!

The setlist pretty much speaks for itself, but I'll just make one more comment.. #40! (!!) #40 is a really special song for me, so maybe it means a bit more to me, but any DMB fan would agree that it's great to see #40 back!

..The next stop: Tuesday 4/23 at the Palace of Auburn Hills, in Auburn Hills, MI.
Old 04-22-02, 12:34 AM
Banned

Wow, that's a really amazing setlist. Definitely the best of this tour. I hope that the recording of it is good quality.
-J
Old 04-22-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Montreal show

Having just returned from the show, I would just like to say WOW! This was my 6th DMB show, and easily the best setwise. So much from Lilywhite! Highlights for me were Grey Street, What you are (real heavy live), Drive in/Drive Out. And well, the encore was amazing! As was the half-hour two step!
Old 04-22-02, 02:05 PM

I used to be a HUGE DMB fan, however, there concerts seem to be getting worse and worse. I have been to 27 shows, starting in 94? in Memphis and it seems as though there shows are just worthless now. The Boulder show last summer had no energy played none of his old stuff and in general wasnt very good. Curious what other people think.
Old 04-23-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dvds4u
I used to be a HUGE DMB fan, however, there concerts seem to be getting worse and worse. I have been to 27 shows, starting in 94? in Memphis and it seems as though there shows are just worthless now. The Boulder show last summer had no energy played none of his old stuff and in general wasnt very good. Curious what other people think.
couldn't disagree more, never seen DMB without energy. and i prefer they don't play the same stuff all the time. i like all DMB and am happy to hear totally different setlists. if i heard tripping billies, watchtower, warehouse, everytime I went. i would stop going.
Old 04-24-02, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4/23: Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI

(#40)
So Much To Say *
When The World Ends *
You Never Know *
Warehouse *
Raven *
Crush *
What You Are *
One Sweet World *
Too Much *
Grey Street *
Grace Is Gone *
Jimi Thing *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Where Are You Going *
Two Step *

The Space Between *
Tripping Billies *

Special Guests:

* Butch Taylor

Awesome! #40 to open the show! Granted, it was just a tease, but #40 is #40!

Somebody pointed out to me that every show has marked the return of an "old" (but not necessarily "lost") song.. the first show had Pig, the second show had Help Myself, etc. Tonight's show didn't disappoint, bringing out Jimi Thing for the first time this tour. (Surprising they didn't bring it back on 4/20?)

It's also great to see that I Did It hasn't made an appearance in the last two shows.. sorry to those of you that like the song.

Today marks exactly one month until I see DMB for the first time this season in Vancouver!

..The next stop: Wednesday 4/24 at Gund Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.
Old 04-24-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gotta kinda agree w/ dvds4u. I've been to 5 shows, the first being in 94 and the most recent in the summer of 2000. I was big on the tape trading circuit and then hit Napster up pretty hard. Each show I went to was weaker than the last. And the show recordings fell off each year as well, IMO. My gripe is that every jam seems to be so forced. Its like they jam just for the sake of jamming. A 20-minute jam in 93 is a world away from what it was in 2001. Not to mention the fact that "Everyday" was by far their weakest album.

Granted, I haven't been in almost two years. I'm debating whether to go to the Darien Lake show.
Old 04-25-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4/24: Gund Arena, Cleveland, Ohio

Granny *
I Did It *
Grey Street *
Crash *
Jimi Thing *
Drive In Drive Out *
If I Had It All *
The Stone *
Too Much *
Seek Up *
The Space Between *
What You Are *
Where Are You Going *
When The World Ends *
Ants Marching *

Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *

Special Guests:

* Butch Taylor

Love, baby! Granny as the opener is awesome to see. Pretty good overall setlist.. having a Seek Up in the middle of the set is great.

Not many other comments from me tonight, except some wonder as to whether we will hear Waste again anytime soon? Dave solo'ed that song to death last year, but it was always a crowd pleaser.

In other DMB news, the new album Busted Stuff is available for preorder on the DMB Musictoday site:
http://stores.musictoday.com/store/d...71&band_id=341

Price is $14.00 and it includes a sticker with cover art, and a chance to win either front row tickets to a show, an autographed guitar, or an autographed poster.

..The next stop: The band gets a break until Friday 4/26 where they'll hit up Allstate Arena in Rosemont, IL for two nights.

Last edited by pantala; 04-26-02 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-27-02, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4/26: Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL

So Right *
Grey Street *
You Never Know *
Granny *
I Did It *
One Sweet World *
Big Eyed Fish -->
Bartender *
What You Are *
Crush *
When The World Ends *
So Much To Say *
Lie In Our Graves *
Raven *
Where Are You Going *
Two Step *

Improv *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

I always thought that So Right would be a good show opener, and here it is. (It's one of the only songs from Everyday that I like.) People at the show said that Roi wasn't having a good night--had sax troubles during Won Suite Whirled and never got back into the groove. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

The Improv before PNP was a new "song" that people are already calling Grave Diggger. Reports say that Dave mentioned a lot of names, a lot of dates, and something about digging a grave for himself in the rain. Expect mp3s to be distributed by tonight or tomorrow.

In other news, the DMB road crew updated their web page. The new look is great, check it out!
http://www.dmband.com/road

Also, musictoday added a new pre-order item for the upcoming album. You can pre-order the CD and a Busted Stuff t-shirt for $30. I think the shirt is quite ugly, but it's probably representative of what the typeface on the new cover will be.

Last edited by pantala; 04-28-02 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-28-02, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4/27: Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL

Donít Drink the Water *
Too Much *
#41 *
Crash *
Warehouse *
The Space Between *
Drive In Drive Out *
Jimi Thing *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Lover Lay Down *
What You Are *
What Would You Say *
Grace Is Gone *
So Right *
Ants Marching *

Where Are You Going *
Watchtower *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

We all knew it was coming, and tonight saw the tour premiere of Watchtower. I liked this song when they first started playing it live, but once it was released on Red Rocks, it just got popular and old. Last year's tour had way too many Watchtowers, so hopefully this year they keep the sets mixed up and don't play it as often.

Even though What You Are is an Everyday song, it is excellent live. This tour, Dave has been getting extra-angry, and almost preacher-like with his singing towards the end of the song. If you can find a place to download a copy from 2002, it'll be worth your effort.

..The next stop: Monday 4/29 at Target Center, Minneapolis, MN.
Old 04-30-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4/29: Target Center, Minneapolis, MN

So Right *
Grey Street *
Granny *
Crush *
You Never Know *
I Did It *
Bartender *
Lover Lay Down *
So Much To Say * -->
Too Much *
Where Are You Going *
What You Are *
Two Step *
Digging a Ditch
Raven *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel

Long Black Veil
Watchtower *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

Although this setlist looked pretty good to me, one thing keeps nagging me about it.. the fact that Watchtower is the closer for the 2nd night in a row. Last tour, it seemed like you were gauranteed to hear Watchtower either as the main set closer, or as the encore closer at every show. I really hope the band doesn't get into the Watchtower-rut again this tour. (It's a fine song, but definately played out.)

For anybody that has downloaded/obtained the so called Lillywhite Sessions, you should read this article:
http://desmoinesregister.com/enterta...c/feature.html

For those that don't want to read here's an excerpt:
"I feel very sad the way my relationship with that band finished," Lillywhite said.

When asked if the popularity of "The Lillywhite Sessions" among fans was any vindication, he was blunt.

"There's no vindication in the fact that I was not allowed to finish it off," he said. "There's no vindication in someone who would not trust me, and for that I will never forgive that person."
This is really too bad to hear, since the band and Steve Lillywhite had really great chemistry. Even the unfinished songs they left in Charlottesville ended up being better than the super-produced songs from Everyday.

I spent the weekend downloading SHNs of this past tour, and they all sound great. If anybody is interested in obtaining the following shows, email me at the address listed in my profile. I can help some folks out with a b&p if needed.

4-4, 4-7, 4-10, 4-12, 4-13, 4-19, 4-20, 4-23

..The next stop: Tuesday 4/30 at ISU - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, IA.
Old 04-30-02, 02:08 AM

I have recently turne dinto a DMB fan and am wondering if they will near Hamilton or Toronto Ontario sometime soon.
Old 05-01-02, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4/30: Iowa State University Hilton Coliseum, Ames, IA

What Would You Say *
When The World Ends *
One Sweet World *
Rhyme & Reason *
The Space Between *
You Never Know *
Grey Street *
If I Had It All *
Crush *
What You Are *
Jimi Thing *
Where Are You Going *
The Stone *
I Did It *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Tripping Billies *

Waste
Ants Marching *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

Quick update tonight since I'm tired. Looks like a pretty solid show again. Some would say that the setlists aren't as exciting as they were at the beginning of the tour, but just imagine if you were an average fan only going to a single show and not checking up on setlists from every past show. Most of these individual dates would look pretty good to me.

There are rumors that Barnes & Noble stores are starting to put up flats for the new album, with possible cover art on them. People are saying that these posters consist of a guy looking through a pair of binoculars. Nobody's really got any more details than that, and none of the people that snagged copies of the flat have scanners or digital cameras. Too bad, although I'm sure we'll get the official cover art soon enough.

..The next stop: Thursday 5/2 at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Selma, TX.
Old 05-01-02, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SilentBobrulez
I have recently turne dinto a DMB fan and am wondering if they will near Hamilton or Toronto Ontario sometime soon.
Sorry, but it looks like you just missed DMB's Canadian dates by about a week. They have one additional Canadian date scheduled, May 24 at General Motors Place in Vancouver.

I've got tickets (possibly extra tickets, too..), and they're not sold out yet, so get some if you can make the trip!
Old 05-03-02, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5/2: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Selma, TX

Donít Drink the Water *
So Much To Say *
Granny *
I Did It *
You Never Know *
Crush *
Drive In Drive Out *
Grace Is Gone *
What You Are *
One Sweet World *
Fool To Think *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Grey Street *
Where Are You Going *
Ants Marching *

Long Black Veil
Watchtower *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

Pretty solid show again, but another Watchtower? I have a feeling the rest of the comments in this thread are going to have some mention of how Watchtower is being played out too much.. hopefully not through!

Here's a pretty terrible scan of the flat I mentioned a few posts back. There is speculation this image might be the new coverart for Busted Stuff, or closely related to it.

http://www.anyoneseenthebridge.com/m...&postid=534314

It's a big image so I won't imbed the image itself.

..The next stop: Saturday 5/4 and Sunday 5/5 at Woodlands!
Old 05-03-02, 09:35 AM
Retired

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Watchtower at one of the two shows I'm going to. Out of the four times I've seen them live, the first time in 1996 was the only time they did Watchtower. It was the only time they did Satellite too.
Old 05-06-02, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5/4 & 5/5: Woodlands Pavilion, The Woodlands, TX

5/4:
So Right *
Grey Street *
Crash *
#41 *
Busted Stuff *
Dont Burn The Pig *
I Did It *
Big Eyed Fish -->
Bartender *
What You Are *
Grace Is Gone *
Jimi Thing *
Fool To Think *
Lover Lay Down *
Raven *
Pantala Naga Pampa *
Rapunzel *

Lie In Our Graves *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

5/5:
Warehouse *
What Would You Say *
When The World Ends *
The Space Between *
You Never Know *
One Sweet World *
Drive In Drive Out *
If I Had It All *
Two Step *
Granny *
Too Much *
Crush *
Rhyme & Reason *
Where Are You Going *
Ants Marching *

Long Black Veil
Tripping Billies *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

Well, no comments from me tonight since I'm exhausted from studying and homework.

One item which might be of interest is that MTV released what they are calling the final playlist for Busted Stuff.
Busted Stuff track list, according to a Dave Matthews Band spokesperson:
"Busted Stuff"
"Grey Street"
"Where Are You Going"
"You Never Know"
"Captain"
"Raven"
"Grace Is Gone"
"Kit Kat Jam"
"Digging a Ditch"
"Big Eyed Fish"
"Bartender"
..The next stop: Tuesday 5/7 at American Airlines Center in Dallas, TX.
Old 05-08-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5/7: American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX

Too Much *
I Did It *
Rhyme & Reason *
You Never Know *
The Space Between *
Grey Street *
What Would You Say *
Where Are You Going *
What You Are *
One Sweet World *
Crush *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Two Step *
Sleep To Dream Her *
Ants Marching *

Everyday
Tripping Billies *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

Not much to say about this show, except that it continues DMB's run of solid concerts. (Ricky gives it a TOP NOTCH review.) At the beginning of the tour, I thought that Pig might become overplayed after so much hype during the last tour, and it looks like it definately is getting up there.

Word is that Dave's solo version of Everyday was not pre-planned. It's great to see that Dave is doing improvising solo again.

..The next stop: Thursday 5/9 at Journal Pavilion in Albuquerque, NM.
Old 05-10-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5/9: Journal Pavilion, Albuquerque, NM

Grey Street *
So Much To Say * -->
Too Much *
Song That Jane Likes *
Crush *
You Never Know *
I Did It *
One Sweet World *
Fool To Think *
Lover Lay Down *
Lie In Our Graves *
What You Are *
Raven *
Where Are You Going *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *

Long Black Veil
Two Step *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

The Song That Jane Likes! Yeah! This tour has been great so far.. can't wait to see them in Vancouver! If anybody wants tickets to this show, I probably have two extra, in section 114. Email me if you want them. (I realize it's not sold out yet, but you probably won't get very good seats from Ticketmaster anymore).

In other news, the first single Where Are You Going (supposed to premiere on the radio on May 20), is available for download here:
http://www.blackmagiclabs.com/~nathan/WAYG.mp3

It sounds great! Still has some electric guitar on it, but it's not overdone like on Everyday. And for those wondering, the keyboard on the song (and on the rest of the album) was played by Stefan, not Butch Taylor.

..The next stop: Friday 5/10 at Pepsi Center Arena, Denver CO.
Old 05-11-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5/10: Pepsi Center Arena, Denver, CO

What Would You Say *
When The World Ends *
Grey Street *
I Did It *
You Never Know *
Grace Is Gone *
One Sweet World *
So Right *
Cortez The Killer +
Crush *
Fool To Think *
Jimi Thing *
Drive In Drive Out *
Where Are You Going *
Ants Marching *

Waste
Tripping Billies *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor
+ Warren Haynes

Woo! Not only Cortez The Killer but Cortez with Warren Haynes! Kind of strange the band didn't keep Warren out for Crush.

Hope everybody is having fun with this tour so far, I think it's great. Also hope everybody is enjoying the week-advance on the new single!

..The next stop: Sunday 5/12, Cricket Pavillion, Phoenix, AZ
Old 05-13-02, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5/12: Cricket Pavillion, Phoenix, AZ

Donít Drink the Water *
Rhyme & Reason *
Grey Street *
The Space Between *
Recently *
You Never Know *
Big Eyed Fish -->
Bartender *
Tripping Billies *
Fool To Think *
I Did It *
Where Are You Going *
The Stone *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *
Dont Burn The Pig *
What Would You Say *

Beauty of Wynona
Ants Marching *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

It's really good to see the band gradually adding older songs into the setlists. Tonight's Beauty of Wynona is pretty landmark, since they have never played it much in the past anyways. If only they would bring back the other Daniel Lanois cover, The Maker, this tour would be even more perfect!

Even with this great setlist tonight, the main talk around the DMB community was the release/leak of the electronic press kit for Busted Stuff. A low quality mp3 has been circulating, with clips of You Never Know, Digging A Ditch, and Grey Street. There is a lot of debate over whether these are final cuts of the songs, and I have to say that I highly doubt it. Take one listen and you'll probably agree that they sound very unfinished. In any case, it's awesome to have them available.

Here's a link (not my site, don't know how long it will last):
http://students.luther.edu/~birdsapa/EPKDEMO.mp3

..The next stop: Monday, 5/13 at Coors Amphitheater, Chula Vista, CA.
Old 05-14-02, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5/13: Coors Amphitheater, Chula Vista, CA

Grey Street *
Granny *
So Much To Say *
So Right *
You Never Know *
Jimi Thing *
Crash *
Two Step *
Digging a Ditch *
What You Are *
One Sweet World *
Song That Jane Likes *
Fool To Think *
Where Are You Going *
Tripping Billies *
Watchtower *+

Beauty of Wynona
(Grace Is Gone)
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor
+ Warren Haynes

Nuts! The setlists just get better and better each night! The only thing that could take the shows over the top is if they started playing Captain. Great Grace Is Gone tease tonight.. got a lot of fans' hopes up, especially after a solo Wynona. Seeing Two Step in the middle of the set is always fun, because there's no reason to hold back a jam until the end of the show!

Dave Matthews Band will be on The Tonight Show tomorrow (Tuesday the 14th), performing their new single Where Are You Going. I noticed that the link from yesterday's post is now broken, but you can hear the entire single on the official site, dmband.com. Even for those of you that got the mp3 originally, you will want to check out the song from the official site, since the higher quality brings out a lot of things in the song that were lost due to compression. (Especially note the double-tracked vocals whenever Dave sings "superman".. it's awesome!)

..The next stop: Tuesday the 14th on The Tonight Show, then Wednesday the 15th at STAPLES Center, Los Angeles, CA.
Old 05-16-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5/15: STAPLES Center, Los Angeles, CA

Too Much *
I Did It *
What Would You Say *
Busted Stuff *
You Never Know *
Warehouse *
Satellite *+
What You Are *
The Stone * -->
Grace Is Gone *
Everyday *
When The World Ends *
(Gravedigger)
Donít Drink the Water *
Where Are You Going *
Ants Marching *

Long Black Veil
Two Step *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor
+ Angelique Kidjo

As awesome as this show was (Everyday, Long Black Veil, and the Gravedigger jam!), the latest news in the DMB community is much MUCH more exciting.

The new album is being leaked out and I will be the first to say here that this album is kicking my ass so hard, I can't even hang. I don't care if you've been a fan since the days at Trax, I guarantee you have NEVER heard DMB like this before. Back to the roots, back to the jams, back to everything that Everyday was NOT.

I won't post links to the songs here, due to the ever-changing locations of the files, but it won't be too difficult to find them if you look hard enough. If you listen to any song from the new album, please make it be Captain. It is possibly the greatest sounding song ever released on a DMB album. The band turned the innocent Lillywhite version of Captain into the funkiest, most laid back, horny as fvck, pimpest, porn-guitar enhanced flow that you have ever heard from them.

I see now why they haven't played Captain live yet.. they're concerned that people will get naked and start a big orgy in the arena. Heaven help the cleanup crew at the arena where Captain is first debuted.

..The next stop (does it even matter now? The next show that really matters is whichever one the band plays Captain at..): Tomorrow, 5/16 Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Irvine, CA.
Old 05-16-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm going to wait on the new disc. And that's not just because I have a slow Internet connection, I'm just holding out for perfect quality. I'm glad that the Lillywhite tunes have been re-done. Not because I didn't like them in their original form, but because I was afraid I was going to buy a new cd simply for the two songs that weren't included on the Lillywhites.

What is the "Gravedigger Jam?" That's not another name for "Doobie Thing" is it?