Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

This is how Britney Spears writes "her" songs

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

This is how Britney Spears writes "her" songs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Iron Chef
I wonder if she would do a cover of Sugar Sugar?

I don't see why not. Since that's what her "music" consists of anyway.
Old 04-04-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Salsa Shark

From what I can remember Billie Holiday didn't write lyrics or play an instrument, but I would never NOT call her a musician or artist.
Billie Holiday wrote the songs Strange Fruit and God Bless the Child. Both excellent songs btw.
Old 04-04-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just one correction: Billie Holiday didn't write "Strange Fruit"; it was written by a Communist poet exclusively for her to sing. Although she did it beautifully.

And about the vocalists as musicians topic - Tell the opera singer who took 18 years of voice training that she doesn't make music. Of course not everyone with a voice is a musician. But that's because not everyone records songs, or performs in front of an audience. Perhaps it's just because a considerable portion of music that I listen to consists of mainly vocals that I have more respect for people whose instrument is their voice.

Except for Britney, of course.
Old 04-04-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
Just one correction: Billie Holiday didn't write "Strange Fruit"; it was written by a Communist poet exclusively for her to sing. Although she did it beautifully.

Interesting - i stand corrected then. Would you happen to know off-hand who wrote the song for her? I suppose it isn't really that important though since i could probably look it up myself....
Old 04-04-02, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by xmiyux

Interesting - i stand corrected then. Would you happen to know off-hand who wrote the song for her? I suppose it isn't really that important though since i could probably look it up myself....
Strange Fruit was written by Abel Meeropol (aka Lewis Allen).

Iron Chef:
Old 04-04-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Three Day Delay

Would you like an award?
That'd be nice. The reason I dislike these threads is the point POWERBOMB touched upon below your post. What is the joke that started the thread? I surely don't understand it, other than it is a jab at Miss Spears. People like certain types of music, what's the point of starting threads saying that you don't? I strongly dislike Dave Matthew's Band, but I don't start threads about how bad I think they are.
Old 04-04-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any thread that disses BS is a worthy thread!

Old 04-05-02, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have no problem with them until they get an ego. Like when one of the O Town members said they were like the Beatles or something...

Hahaha.
Old 04-05-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: This is how Britney Spears writes "her" songs

Originally posted by StarLit312
This is how Britney Spears writes “her” songs
"I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman"
To: Britney
Re: Song, please fill in the blanks to receive full writing credentials
I would just like to point out that Britney did not write or co-write "I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman". I don't have the cd with me, but I believe it was written by Dido and Max Martin. Then produced by Max Martin and Rami. I seem to remember them saying that on an MTV or VH1 speical when she was recording the track and she stated that she was unavailable at the time to help in the writing of the song, but it really touched her, etc, etc.

Spears did co-write other songs on the album though.
Old 04-08-02, 01:48 PM

Re: Re: This is how Britney Spears writes "her" songs

Originally posted by Eternia

Spears did co-write other songs on the album though.

Ahhh yes would one of those songs be "I'm a SLAVE 4 U"??
Old 04-08-02, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: This is how Britney Spears writes "her" songs

Originally posted by duy37

Ahhh yes would one of those songs be "I'm a SLAVE 4 U"??
No, that one was written and produced by the Neptunes.
Old 04-08-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Britney sounds like she breathes helium before she starts singing. Positively eerie.
Old 04-08-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
You all have touched upon some things that I've thought about Britney and her ilk for some time now. They all have very good voices (unless there's a lot of cooking going on) and they're being wasted on these fluff songs and just the whole image thing in general. I'd bet you could get a bunch of them together and with a little practice, they could do a very good rendition of an opera or something else with substance. But they won't, and that's a shame that their voices are going to waste like that.
Old 04-10-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I don't feel she has a great voice or even a very good voice. It's only adequate for the type of material she sings (or lip-syncs in most cases).
Old 04-10-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
You all have touched upon some things that I've thought about Britney and her ilk for some time now. They all have very good voices (unless there's a lot of cooking going on) and they're being wasted on these fluff songs and just the whole image thing in general. I'd bet you could get a bunch of them together and with a little practice, they could do a very good rendition of an opera or something else with substance. But they won't, and that's a shame that their voices are going to waste like that.
How many opera stars have tanning booths in their tour busses?

It's the money. Fourteen year old girls are (always have been) the driving force behind music success ($$$). Britney has a lot of talent...but she is driven by a production company and a label, as well as the ugly blueprint for musical stardom. And those people do not give a whit about "substance." How many swimming pools would have Aimee Mann afforded them?

As far as her lip-syncing....I don't blame her a bit. She's practically filming a two hour exercise video every tour stop, and expected to sing full-blast at the same time?

It may seem like I'm defending her, but I'm not. She's still a glorified stripper. She chose to enter into a musical forray of zero substance and integrity. They say money can't buy you everything. Who's to know? Vanilla Ice lives in a massive mansion in Dallas, with money to burn for the rest of his life. But he also has to deal with being the punchline to every white guy joke for the next 30 years.
Old 04-10-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by Three Day Delay

How many opera stars have tanning booths in their tour busses?

It's the money. Fourteen year old girls are (always have been) the driving force behind music success ($$$). Britney has a lot of talent...but she is driven by a production company and a label, as well as the ugly blueprint for musical stardom. And those people do not give a whit about "substance." How many swimming pools would have Aimee Mann afforded them?

As far as her lip-syncing....I don't blame her a bit. She's practically filming a two hour exercise video every tour stop, and expected to sing full-blast at the same time?

It may seem like I'm defending her, but I'm not. She's still a glorified stripper. She chose to enter into a musical forray of zero substance and integrity. They say money can't buy you everything. Who's to know? Vanilla Ice lives in a massive mansion in Dallas, with money to burn for the rest of his life. But he also has to deal with being the punchline to every white guy joke for the next 30 years.
Actually, I think Vanilla Ice (Rob Van Winkle) is not that well off. He was recently on Celebrity boxing of all things.

And I certainly agree that Spears and the like have very little substance to them, but I still think with a little work they could be something more.
Old 04-11-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Britney's "singing" voice is awful.

Her career will not endure.
Old 04-11-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom

Actually, I think Vanilla Ice (Rob Van Winkle) is not that well off. He was recently on Celebrity boxing of all things.
In spite of the boxing incident, "Vanilla" is very wealthy...it just made him slightly wealthier. He owns mansions in both Dallas and Miami.
Old 04-12-02, 09:56 PM

-

Originally posted by MJKTool
i like her butt
I second that!