Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

White Stripes [discussions]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

White Stripes [discussions]

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I am an aging Clash/Damned/Buzzcocks music fan who lived through the 76-77 British invasion, and The White Stripes are the only band I've heard since that time who actually get me excited about music again...

I luv 'em.
Old 06-07-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're great and I love em.

Saw them play last summer and got a chance to talk to Meg and she was excited and said they had some big news and deals coming up. (the million-dollar signing in Europe, where they're huge)

the change to V2 records from Sympathy For The Record Industry.

She seemed very normal and sweet as can be.

I also talked to Jack.......who is really a rock star, brooding type if I've ever seen one. This guy is talented but seems to always be fried any time I see him on stage.

Check out their first album because it rocks harder than the last two.

MTV AWARDS - I love how they mixed "Dead Leaves" into the middle of "Fell In Love With A Girl".

kind of a Michigan night at the awards I guess for the performances.

Eminem - detroit
White Stripes - detroit
Papa Don't Preach (originally done by Michigan native Madonna) - Kelley Osbourne.
Old 06-07-02, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meg is hot in person!
Old 06-07-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Snake Plissken
Meg is hot in person!
PICS? A friend of mine says he likes her hair, feet, and breasts. No mention of her face though.

I bought their latest album and have only heard it a few times. It's not bad and will probably grow on me.

I saw them on Conan? and it was excellent! Haven't seen MTV Awards yet.
Old 06-07-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
They're just a great, fun band. No deep meaning and no fake poseur crap. Are they the next Beatles? No, but they're better than 90% of the junk on Top 40 radio right now. Good to see they're catching on.
Old 06-07-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got "White Blood Cells" - whichever album that is - and liked it. Its got a good punk feel and the singer's got a cool voice....sorta sounds like the singer from the pixies (a little).
Old 06-07-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Originally posted by RevLiver
It's a throwback to oldschool 70's punk, when it was about the music, not the business. And yes, the fact that it's different than the nu metal crap that is so popular now, makes it all the more fun.

The White Stripes
...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead
The Hives

Thumbs up to all of them.

Yeah right...

It's ALWAYS been about the biz not the music...don't be fooled.

Whitestripes fall under the category of "Flavor of the month". This isn't necesarily a bad thing just a reality.

The media is full of 50+ year olds like Loder off of MTV so this "New band playing old punk BS" is the closest they can get to the music of their Youth.....
Old 06-07-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Yancey
No they are ex-husband and wife. The brother and sister thing is a story that Jack and Meg made up.
You can see why people would buy that, though. They look so much alike that any union between them should probably be illegal.

To answer the original question: Yes, the hype machine has kicked in (the backlash should be starting any minute now), but there is no denying that they are prodigiously talented. Their earlier stuff is more bluesy, but they can also do Beatlesque pop (seemingly effortlessly). They write good songs and have good taste in covers. They just seem nice.
Old 06-08-02, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The media is full of 50+ year olds like Loder off of MTV so this "New band playing old punk BS" is the closest they can get to the music of their Youth.....
Giantrobo, you bring up a very interesting point. I was thinking this morning about the White Stripes. They've released a few albums and have a following, but my first exposure to them was on MTV the other night. Why? I'm 37 and probably lazy to search for a ton of new music, I don't have the time and I'm not willing to spend as much money as I used to on Cd's (plus, I have a really large collection as it is). I've never agreed with yearend reviews when people say, "This past year sucked, nothing good came out." That's bunk. Under the surface there is always worthy music. The past two years I just haven't had the time to always look for it... so, many times my exposure to stuff is what is on the radio. And it's been a very bad two years for rock radio. That's why I was so surprised to see the White Stripes for the first time.... it's great stuff.

Anyway, to my point! When I was watching the White Stripes it DID make me think of the past. Buzzcocks with a 60's flair (at least the song I heard... I know some of their stuff is bluesy). This certainly fits in with what I listened to in my youth. And just like the 50+ year-olds who have a soft spot for the Stones, I will probably always be turned on to late-70's punk sounds (Jam, Clash, Ramones etc.). And I'm okay with that... that music still sounds awesome today.

When I read record reviews I often wonder the age of the reviewer. We've had a thread already about rock critics, but I mentioned Ira Robins as someone I admire. He knows what he is talking about and has been reviewing music since the 70's (at least!). I trust this guy. But when does a reviewer cease to matter? I still think there are older guys out there who love new music and get a buzz from it. I haven't heard John Peel in a long time, but I imagine he's still out there. I would like to know what they think about new music. But, maybe someone who is younger (Yancey anyone), who knows their history, can give a better perspective about what is good today. I'm too old to care about what the little kids are into (and most likely, I'm going to have a small sense of wanting to like what others don't... sometimes). But Giantrobo, you do make a point and I always think the best rock is a bit on the crazy side and I'm sure younger people relate a lot more. I know, because I've been there.

We've never seen, until now, old people getting into rock and roll.
Blues, yep, but not rock. When the Stones tour, they fill stadiums with old farts (and young people as well). And when I'm an older person, I'll probably STILL like punk stuff. That seems weird to me, but it makes sense. The band Wire is touring the U.S. later this summer and I'm gonna try and see them. One of the guys in that band is 56! Unreal. And I have heard they are thrashing HARD on their new stuff. As long as they aren't singing about how their parents are too strict, I think I'll like it!

End. I think older people can have very valid opinions on current music, but from a diff perspective.
Old 06-08-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I heard their single, I thought it was the Buzzcocks until the DJ said the name of the band. I may go pick up the CD. Maybe it's not the most original sound, but at least they can write a fun, rockin' tune with a catchy melody----that's more than you can say about most of the pathetically "dark, angry and in-your-face" (c)rap-rock/metal hybrids out there today.
Old 07-09-02, 08:29 PM
MaxPayne

What's good about white stripes?

Ok i got this album a long time ago after the first time i heard it. I thought their single was pretty neat at first but really got annoying quickly. Now everyone is going on about how good they are and stuff, but i never really saw what was so good about the cd. A lot of it is really just plain irritating to listen to. People put them in the same category as the strokes, but id rather listen to the strokes anyday of the week. Maybe im missing somethign here, but what makes the White Stripes so amazing anyway? Is it the fact that its just a guy and a girl in the band, because i think this results in more simplistic songs but i could be wrong. Can you honestly say you like their cd, or are you just buying into the hype?
Old 07-09-02, 10:58 PM
Banned

Two suggestions:

1)

2) Get some taste

Get their debut album. Its a refreshing to hear the White Stripes. They have that wonderful mix of old school punk and blues. Don't like'em? Then go watch Ja Rule and Nelly on MTV and stop complaining.

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 07-09-02 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-10-02, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2) Get some taste

Get their debut album. Its a refreshing to hear the White Stripes. They have that wonderful mix of old school punk and blues. Don't like'em? Then go watch Ja Rule and Nelly on MTV and stop complaining.
I wouldn't say it is necessarily that simple. Just because someone doesn't understand what is so wonderful about the white stripes it doesn't mean that they don't know good music. I could make a convincing argument about why it's not "refreshing" to hear the white stripes. First off his vocal range is one of the worst ranges I've heard in a long time. You reference Nelly, who surprisingly can hit about two times as many notes as I've heard from the singer of the White Stripes.

Secondly, look at the musical notation of the instrumentation, specifically guitars, and you'll notice his style is elementary. Yes, it's very blues influenced, which helps him because most blues riffs are simple.

Those are just a few negatives that one could say about the White Stripes. In addition to the fact that they seem as willing to sell out to MTV as any of the pop-punk band out there. It is almost tragic.

That said, I agree that they are, overall, good and refreshing. I just don't think it's necessary to blast someone for saying they don't understand what is so good about a band. Jjust because one doesn't like the White Stripes, one does not necessarily have to like the popular MTV bands. There are plenty of other punk acts out there that are great.

Last edited by Alyoshka; 07-10-02 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-10-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Alyoshka,

We agree on something! Does that mean that Hell has frozen over?
Old 07-10-02, 03:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
I am an aging Clash/Damned/Buzzcocks music fan who lived through the 76-77 British invasion....
</small>I don't think I've heard anything by White Stripes yet but whenever anyone mentions British New Wave music and the Clash I am always tempted to throw in a reference to those one album wonders, The Ruts.
Old 07-10-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DodgingCars
Hey Alyoshka,

We agree on something! Does that mean that Hell has frozen over?

That's not me winking; I just punctured my eye with a stake as a result of the horror I just read.
Old 07-11-02, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by RevLiver
It's a throwback to oldschool 70's punk, when it was about the music, not the business.
Makes you wonder if it's all about the music why MTV and radio stations been playing the hell out of just one song....
Old 07-11-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just saw them live last night for the second time and Jack White is just an amazing guitar player.

He loves hamming it up and improvising.

great show.
Old 07-29-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've owned White Blood Cells for quite a while now and I just bought De Stijl yesterday because I saw here that it had more of a blues sound to it. Out of 5 stars, I would probably give it a 4 1/2, maybe even a 5, and to be honest, I like De Stijl better than White Blood Cells. For those who own all three albums, which of the first two has more of a blues feel to it? The White Stripes or De Stijl?
Old 07-30-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The self-titled album has the biggest blues feel to it. Definitely a Son House style of playing.
Old 07-30-02, 10:39 AM
Banned

The self-titled album is the best of the three. Like Yancey said above, it also has the biggest blues influence of the three.
Old 11-14-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts
I remember reading somthing somewhere (I know, I'm full of helpful info at the moment) where Jack said the fifth Stripes album would be the last. I don't see GBMS as being their last especially since they just released a new single (walking with a ghost) or.....maybe that's the new route they'll take?

Anyone have more information?
Old 11-15-05, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To be honest, I did not care for their music the first time I heard them......THEN I heard "There's No Home For You Here" and my opinion definitely changed. The White Stripes are now one of my favorite bands.

I listen to their CDs on a regular basis. I love their cover of "One More Cup of Coffee". I usually listen to the song "Little Ghost" on the way to work...it gets be going for the day

Last edited by LiquidSky; 11-15-05 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-15-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
Meg is hot in person!
So is Jack!
Old 11-15-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
To be honest, I did not care for their music the first time I heard them...... (snip)
.....and I still don't. Good for them, though. They've accomplished a lot. It should help other people feel motivated to put out music.

Last edited by mndtrp; 11-20-05 at 02:06 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.