Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

And the song of the 90's goes to....

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

And the song of the 90's goes to....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without " Teen Spirit" would "Nevermind" have been as huge as it was.
Old 03-21-02, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by zak52
Without " Teen Spirit" would "Nevermind" have been as huge as it was.
Probably not. And I bet there was a time when Kurt wished just that.
Old 03-21-02, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by lorenzoh

Probably not. And I bet there was a time when Kurt wished just that.
I agree with that.
Old 03-23-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv
I would have to pick "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...it basically jumpstarted the '90's.
you know when i read the title of this thread i thought to myself, "my god i know its gonna say that damn smells like teen spirit song" and i was right. what the hell is the deal with this song, am i the only one who thinks it got older quiker than an *NSYNC song???
Old 03-23-02, 02:52 AM

Bittersweet Symphony is actually a rip-off of the 60's Rolling Stones' tune "The Last Time." In fact, I believe they were sued for "Bittersweet" and eventually had to give up 100 percent of the royalties to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. So the song of the 90s is actually a song from the 60s. But it's not THE song of the 60s as that would have to be a Beatles song....I'll say Revolution or Strawberry Fields.
Old 03-23-02, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bittersweet Symphony is actually a rip-off of the 60's Rolling Stones' tune "The Last Time."
I had heard this, too, but never knew WHAT song from the Stones they ripped off because I didn't recognize the sample. I kept thinking "The Last Time" and "Bittersweet" don't sound similar in the least. But, I found this quote on MTV.com:

"The old track Ashcroft (Verve) sampled is an orchestral instrumental version of the Rolling Stones' classic "The Last Time," from a 1960s album by then Stones producer Andrew Oldham."

And you are right Wag. They gave up all the royalties to this song because the label the Stones were on back then is very strict about sampling. I still think this is my fave song of the 90's... by the way, I never thought this thread was about the most influencial song... "Bittersweet" just happens to be one of the songs I still am not sick of that was played to death.
Old 03-23-02, 09:28 AM

Well being influencial is a big reason why Teen Spirit is the song of the 90's. IMO
If you would rather have a song that's stolen from the Rolling Stones that's fine.
Old 03-23-02, 11:47 AM

It was ONLY the STRINGS that were sampled. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS CREATED BY THE VERVE!

Last edited by FadingSoul; 03-23-02 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-23-02, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wag The Frog
Bittersweet Symphony is actually a rip-off of the 60's Rolling Stones' tune "The Last Time."
Maybe it is influential then. I guess it influenced the late nineties and early 2000's rap artists like Puff Daddy to blatently rip off other people's music.

FWIW, I too think that Smells Like Teen Spirit is the song that most influenced the nineties, and probably the song of the nineties that I appreciate most. Not surprised at the backlash against it though... actually I'm more surprised that someone hasn't named a song that maybe 25 people outside of the band that sings it has heard of and tried to pass it off as the best song of the nineties.
Old 03-23-02, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Smells Like Teen Spirit & Nuthin' But A "G" Thang, IMO, were the most influential songs of the 90's. What is the BEST, thats totally subjective to every single person you ask.
Old 03-23-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I liked both songs you guys are talking about. But my vote goes to another song.

Probably none of you will agree, but my vote goes to Losing My Religion by REM. To me it captures the essence of the entire nation in the 90's and not just a specific age group of young people (important as they may have been to the 90's music movement ). The essence being that we became more cynical, and less spiritual. And that we temporarily lost our sense of purpose and direction in life, which was kind of Nirvana's whole schtick. But anyhow, I think REM summed it up nicely in that one song. Just MHO though...
Old 03-23-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
Smells Like Teen Spirit & Nuthin' But A "G" Thang, IMO, were the most influential songs of the 90's. What is the BEST, thats totally subjective to every single person you ask.
I was surprised no one had mentioned G Thang until you did MJKTool.

You can say whatever you want about Teen Spirit (and for the record I liked it very much), but the reality is that G Thang was one of the first "hard core" rap songs to get commercial radio play. Sure acts like MC Hammer and Young MC had gotten radio play, but this was the first "gansta" rap song to get played on a regular basis.

Considering that the grunge movement died a very quick death (though it was influential), this type of rap music now dominates the sales charts and top 40.

And for the record, I'm a fan of Rock and Roll, not rap music. Just giving credit, where credit is due.
Old 03-24-02, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by madcougar

I was surprised no one had mentioned G Thang until you did MJKTool.

You can say whatever you want about Teen Spirit (and for the record I liked it very much), but the reality is that G Thang was one of the first "hard core" rap songs to get commercial radio play. Sure acts like MC Hammer and Young MC had gotten radio play, but this was the first "gansta" rap song to get played on a regular basis.

Considering that the grunge movement died a very quick death (though it was influential), this type of rap music now dominates the sales charts and top 40.

And for the record, I'm a fan of Rock and Roll, not rap music. Just giving credit, where credit is due.

You make a very good point
Old 03-24-02, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by rocketsauce

you know when i read the title of this thread i thought to myself, "my god i know its gonna say that damn smells like teen spirit song" and i was right. what the hell is the deal with this song, am i the only one who thinks it got older quiker than an *NSYNC song???
LOL! I thought the exact same thing when I ventured into this thread. I though this song was way overplayed, I can't listen to it anymore.. But I do like Bitter Sweet Symphony.
Old 03-24-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How come people act like Nirvania changed the world in music. I personally think it's just a matter of them being over before their time was up, I think if they were still around like U2 or Pearl Jam even, we wouldn't still be saying, Team Spirit This, Team Spirit that... I mean, I bet you ask the average person on the street and they can't name more than like 3 Nirvania songs total. Ask them about u2 or something and it's a different story....

I personally would agree with "Smells Like Team Spirit" as the song of the 90's sadly because it was simply burned into our heads. I would also put this as the most overplayed, and most overly hyped songs.. So it does make sense it's the song of the 90s. I think all those factors are required to make it so memorable. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-25-02, 07:18 AM

Nirvana did change the music world. Do you know how many glam rock bands careers that Nirvana ended.
Old 03-25-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, they changed the music world. Yeah, they really did. No, I swear they did. I mean the whole music world got droomy and rainy when they came about with this awesome music that made a statement to the whole world. Give me a break. They were just another passing phase in music taste.
Old 03-25-02, 09:10 AM

It sounds like your still stuck in the droom and rain.
Old 03-25-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well it was raining really early this morning but it has cleared up.
I do like Weird Al's parody of Teen Spirit though
Old 03-25-02, 09:47 PM
Banned

Paranoid Android by Radiohead

This song is a perfect example of what a good song is.
"Rockin' the Suburbs" came out in 2001 so i can't pick "Not the Same".
Old 03-26-02, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ya know, I was thinking the other day about "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I like that song. I like Nirvana. There is no doubt that Nirvana really did influence to a great degree what was going on in the early 90's. But I was listening to "alternative" music way before that song came out. To me, it was just another cool song in a line of great rock and roll music. It didn't affect me like it might have affected others.
Old 03-26-02, 11:02 PM

Sleeper Picks for the Top Song of 90s
-----------------------------
"You Oughta Know" Alanis Morrisette
"Tears in Heaven" Eric Clapton
"I'll Make Love to You" Boyz II Men
"Open Fire (Ana's Song)" Silverchair
Old 03-30-02, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You are all very, very wrong...