Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

If you are into the band TOOL, take a look at this!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok this is something I read on a tool site with a discussion forum, its a theory that someone posted about a secret code behind tool. read it, its pretty interesting. oh and I left the dudes email at the bottom in case you wanted to talk to him about it.its off www.toology.com

In research done recently its come to our attention that Lateralus may contain a hidden code.
Lateralus has 13 tracks, track 13 being the garbled message Faaip de Oiad which is there to make up the numbers, maybe literally.

1-12
2-11
3-10
4-9
5-8
6-7

Now Parabola means an upwards curve so by drawing a line 6,7,5,8,4,9,3,10,2,11,1,12,13 you get the spiral which tool have spoke about being in the album Lateralus.

Put your album in that order and hear how well schism goes into ticks and leeches, the drums at the end of schism are exacttly the same as the start to ticks, not completly but too close to be a coincidence also parabola into schism sounds very familliar.

Now to show the relevence of this new order we have to go a bit deeper.

Maynard as most know is a stage name for James Keenan. Maynard was created as a persona who would take the **** while tool over the last 9 years have brought their message across,

Opiate was the creation of Maynard
Undertow they choose to tap into peoples one common emotion, fear and hate.
Aenima made people think.

Aenima may also run to a prime digit, 15

1-14
2-13
3-12
4-11
5-10
6-9
7-8

After you have read this post look into Aenima's new order and see what you make of this. Die Von Satan is about what tool have been doing, they have been gathering the ingredients while talking in another language and waiting for the magic word, which we belive is tool's fans realising what they've done, this is a puzzle which they want us to find and they have been expecting someone to since 96 at the end of aenima. Message to Harry manbacks meaning is simple it is an answerphone message which means it is unreturnable and undefendable, This is what James has to do while living the "Maynard" persona.

After this wasn't discovered in 96 salival a partial live album was released as limited ediion again no one got the message. Go read the words to u lied and No Quater. also Maynards dick is to be taken as literal, Maynard is dick, Dick meaning nothing/bollocks. Salival is now readily avalible to anyone after being rare as **** to get hold of before, a bit strange?

Lateralus is the defining point and this is how we read its message, I want to point out that all tool's songs are multi meaning, they are very clever as we all know and each song has a clever mirror

Parabol - James Keenan
Parabola - James and Maynard Keenan
Schism - The creation of this puzzle.
Ticks - James getting his chance to respond (see harry manback)
Mantra - Signifies meditation, James calming down after ticks
Lateralus - What you have to do to see the bigger picture tool has painted
The Patient - How James has felt during tools 9 year career.
Disposition - "Mention this to me and watch the weather change"
Eon Blue - This is the Apocolypse of the Maynard front
Reflection - James wanting to crucify his ego "Maynard"
The Grudge - This is about what tool fans have to do when this is realised
Triad - No words, the unknown

There you go and if your asking why the hell would they do this? think Maynard sung on "Know your enemy" and "Can't kill the revolution" he did this in a way which kept it indirect until now.

www.toolarmy.com has been coming soon since 7 days BEFORE Lateralus was released last may, I s this because its the explanation for when this all drops? Is this why its been coming soon for so long, We believe its there in waiting.

toolshed.down.net has been used to further this agenda we belive its more official then semi there are loads of reasons why but there are reasons not yours, we ask if people can reply to let us know what they think but more importantly to go and look deeper for yourselfs because only then will this make sense.

Also if you can find some live mp3's and check out some of the *changed* lines in the live version, theres a version of prison sex whcih has got a whole new verse.

Show me something x 4
Thought I could make it anyway
thought i could wash the stain away
Thought I could break the circle if I
Surrender to your skin,
So save us your surrender
We have each other
and I have become my terror
and you my precious lamb and matyr.

and before the very first time aenima was played live

This songs about many things
Watersports, smart real estate investments ...
but more importantly
its getting back to what matters
Choosing compassion over fear
We need to learn how to dive back
into the pool of the collective unconciouss
and learn how to swim again.

There are so many things out there so post anything you can add.

Fifth
[email protected]

Please only post on the infomation here not about me you don't know me so don't judge me just the infomation put across here.
Old 03-17-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow and they say i have to much time on my hands

strange
Old 03-17-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool post, CKM.
I may have to re-order the tracks on those disks to give them a listen
Old 03-18-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Um, I'm a huge tool fan, and I will do that inverted order thing - but this sounds like bunk. People have always tried to find a hidden message in popular music - most of the time the hidden message is just in the lyrics - most people don't understand metaphor and implication.

My question is - there are always tracks that are left off of albums because the band didn't think they fit well or because the album is just too long - Message to Harry Manback II and LAMC from salival were written for Ænima (I think) but didn't make it onto the album - so how does this fit in with the above system? I assume there were probably several songs that didn't make it onto Lateralus as well.
Old 03-18-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ya I agree with Ziggy. I'm an enormous tool fan and enjoy all this as much as the next guy, but some of the theories as to how songs connect to events and past events and such can be pretty far fetched. It all reminds me of the Darkside of the Moon fiasco with Wizard of Oz.

There are some theories that I do agree with, like the fact that maynards lyrics and timing follow with ancient enochian geometry, numberwise, on the song lateralus.

It would be very grand to come to find out that all this time the band had this great scheme and more importantly, actually made it far enough to play it all out. But I think it probably isn't it.

You never know though, tool are ****ing nuts. You can't deny them any creativity that they have.

I like the idea that Opiate was the creation of "maynard" and that lateralus is the demise, it reminds me of Mansons Triad of ACS, Mechanical Animals, and Holywood. Played in reverse order, it can be vaguely interpretted as the rise and fall of the persona of Marilyn Manson.

Cool post though man, made for some good reading and now some experimentation!
Old 03-18-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know, i've given this a listen a couple of times in the new order. I'm not sure yet about the whole different message thing, but the songs do flow together better this way (IMO)
again, cool post CKM
Old 03-18-02, 01:56 PM
Suspended

Great post ckm! I'll have to give this order a try tonight. The brilliance in Maynards lyrics is in the fact that they are soo damn vague, you can interpret them in a 100 different ways, which is what Maynard always stresses for you to do....."think for yourself"
Just visit http://toolshed.down.net/ and go into the opinions area, and you find a mammoth amount of different theories to evey song they have made. This theory, which could be possible knowing how crazy those guys are, is hard for me to believe....but you never know......
Old 03-18-02, 03:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
lyrics

first off, i want to point out that your extra prison sex lyrics are wrong.
they are not
"Show me something x 4
Thought I could make it anyway
thought i could wash the stain away
Thought I could break the circle if I
Surrender to your skin,
So save us your surrender
We have each other
and I have become my terror
and you my precious lamb and matyr. "

but,
"show me somethingX4
thought i could make it end
thought i could wash the stains away
thought i could break the circle, if I
slipped right into your skin
so sweet was your surrender
we have become one
i have become my terror
and you my precious lamb and martyr."

I think your (the original poster) thoughts are highly original and fun. But overall, I believe you are simply wrong in every way.
I believe you would get a lot of insight if you went to http://toolshed.down.net and read some of the articles that have been posted int he past. Their collection is pretty extensive. They also have any and all lyrics that you can check out.
I think it is cool that you mixed the order of playing songs on the cd, i know i have done the same with some records. But I don't think it is necessary in some instances, such as Lateralus.
Lateralus is organized in the right order. IN the order it is in, it makes the most sense and allows the best understanding.
Think about it from this perspective, knowing all the turmoil the band went through in between albums. Maynard went to do APC, which caused a lot of trouble because the members of TOOL we upset that he was gone so long. This, added with the legal trouble that the band went through for so long put a lot of tention in the bad. At one point, according to the band and written work, the band was curious as to whether there even would be a next record. The Grudge is that song.
But you should be patient because it will all work itself out in the end, as it did. Schism is a song about recommunication within the band and the reformation (mentally) of the band. The rest of hte record simply cronicles the good will they have had. Parabola is all about moments and happiness, Ticks and Leeches (however it fits into the formula is just a pissed off song) Lateralus is about pushing yourself, and the remaining three are about a new focus of sorts.
The song are organized int he way they were written and finished. Lateralus is obviously the story of the last five years of the band and what they have gone through.

We shouldn't take it that way though. We need to find it for ourselves, which you have obviously done. Which, again, I think is great,b ut unnecessary because I still think you relate too much of the music and words back to the band instead of putting them into your own life.

My biggest concern about your whole theory is the 'maynard' thing. You speak of it as though it is a psuedo name, a stage name. But, it is infact his name. He goes by it in public, his friends call him that, and he respondes to it. While it might not have been his birth name, it is his name. Sorta like Meet the Parents when the guy goes by Greg, and everyone knows him by Greg, but his name is Gaylord (fun, out there tool connection if you could make it).

I just believe you are looking too much into the album as a whole, and while there is a concept there, i think you are not hitting the right ideas when finding it. Also, the drums parts at the end of schism and beginning of ticks only line up because they are fast, nothing else.
Old 03-18-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely an interesting post. But as others have already said, you can interpret most of Tool's work in a million different ways.

My only advice is to "think for yourself" and "question authority."

Last edited by gilbertr76; 03-18-02 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-18-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: lyrics

Originally posted by david12
Sorta like Meet the Parents when the guy goes by Greg, and everyone knows him by Greg, but his name is Gaylord (fun, out there tool connection if you could make it).

maynard did vocals on a song called "choked" under the name Gaylord C.

Old 03-20-02, 09:43 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

It is good to see someone knows their stuff.
A good song to hear as well. Very African influenced, and because it is a drum song, the drums are great.
Old 03-20-02, 05:58 PM

And its got Herb Alexander and Mike Bordin on it to boot!

BTW, I didn't think the songs flowed together in this new order, but that's my opinion.
Old 03-20-02, 06:04 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by seeyouauntie
BTW, I didn't think the songs flowed together in this new order, but that's my opinion.
Neither did I after listening to it....well maybe Schism into Ticks, but thats it really.
Old 03-20-02, 06:57 PM

I'm with you two. I tried the new ordering and it was cool (uh, because listening to Tool is always cool ), but it didn't do anything different for me.

It had been since May 15th since I listened to Lateralus on headphones... Uh, where is that wack-off icon when I need it?
Old 03-20-02, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by heimerSWT
It had been since May 15th since I listened to Lateralus on headphones... Uh, where is that wack-off icon when I need it?
I thought I was obsessive about Tool