Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still buy music?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: How have your music buying habits changed since you found MP3?
I don't buy music/buy significantly fewer CDs.
19.12%
I buy noticeably less CDs
26.47%
I buy about the same number of CDs.
32.35%
I buy noticeably more CDs.
10.29%
I buy a lot more CDs.
10.29%
I never bought music/Twikoff!!
1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Do you still buy music?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I buy a lot less -- but it's not because of Napster. It's because of the heavy-handed, anti-customer tactics of the RIAA.

I started getting pissed with the price fixing / cartel thing, got more pissed when they got nailed for it, but didn't have to give money back to the consumers.

Then Napster came out, and rather than try to work with it, or attack the people who were actually doing the infringing (Napster had as many, if not more, legitimate purposes as the Betamax did when it came out), they decided to just shut Napster down. It's heavy-handed and short sighted.

Between all that, the AHRA, DMCA, and forthcoming SSSCA, I decided to "vote with my dollars". It pains me that I can't buy the music I want, and that my favorite artists no longer get money from me for CDs, but I'm not putting another dime in their pocket if I can help it.
Old 03-11-02, 11:22 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I used to buy CDs and then hardly ever/never listen to them. Now I download CDs that I hardly ever/never listen to.

The only CDs I buy now are by artists I am a completist about. I'll buy anything that Dave Matthews Band, Nine Inch Nails, or Johnny Socko puts out. I bought more when CDNOW had great coupons and I had a ton of gift certificates from the click for gc sites.

I have bought albums that I would never have bought if I hadn't downloaded the mp3s first. I mostly download things just to have them, or because I like a certain song(they've replaced singles for me). I never have messed with Napster or its kind much, I'm more into downloading full albums the way I have for 5-6 years. But more often than not they end up on a CD with 6-10 other albums that get filed away in a CD binder.
Old 03-11-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I buy less CD's mainly because I am older and married. I bought most of the older CD's
I want to own. I have heard plenty of music through downloading that made me steer
clear from that band. I used to buy CD's without listening to the whole thing and ended
up with a lot of discs over the years that weren't that great. But I really love downloading
stuff to hear it first when I have time.
Old 03-11-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i probably buy just about as many as I always did. They're just getting to more obscure bands now than before
Old 03-11-02, 02:08 PM

It's about evening out for me. I'm buying a lot more CDs I wouldn't have heard of if I hadn't been able to listen to some tracks first, but I'm also not buying CDs I would have bought in the past because I hear the whole thing and it's just crap.

Like someone else said, a lot less Top 40/mainstream stuff and a lot more obscure stuff. Like it should be
Old 03-11-02, 03:35 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've bought noticeably less the past couple of years, but it has nothing to do with mp3.'s as I have hardly any of those. The sound quality just isn't as good, and it's too much of a hassle to download and burn. If an artists puts out a good album, I'm going to reward them buy buying it, rather than rip them off by burning it. The only mp3's I download are songs I like off albums that suck, or rare/live stuff that isn't available to buy legally.

That said, the reason I buy less music today is that most newer bands suck. As a result, I generally just buy new albums by bands I've been listening to for years (Pearl Jam, DMB, Live, STP, etc.) I'm sure there's a lot of great stuff out there, but I just don't have the time or the interest to look for it. If i find something new it's because one of my friends told me about it, or they were playing it and I asked who it was. I also pretty much have most of the older stuff that I'd want to own, so I'm pretty much set with having something to listen to all the time. I only have 200 some CD's, but I just don't listen to music enough, or have enough of a passion for it, to justify owning more than that.
Old 03-11-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought 30 CD's last month. I primarily use file sharing in the way it's idealistically intended: to be exposed to artists that I otherwise would not be, and then support them by purchasing their products.
Old 03-11-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I buy a lot of cds, if I find a song I like. I usually go and try to pick up the cd. I think it is kind of sad when people JUST burn cds, and don't any artists.
Old 03-12-02, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'm just lazy, I can't be bothered to look for stuff to download. The main change in my buying habit is that I will only buy online from the discounters. I can't remember the last time a bought a cd from a shop. If it's something obscure I've got a friend you can get through the music industry.
Old 03-12-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I never got into the whole MP3 idea.

I buy far fewer CD's today simply because of the prices.
Old 03-12-02, 11:09 AM

CD Clubs

Could anyone tell me if there is a link that has the FAQs for the CD music club like the DVD Forum site? I don't know anything about downloading cd's and have enough probs w/ my computer without trying to store anything on it so I still buy what I like (older music - pre 70's). I don't have a burner. I was looking at a different deal from what you get when you sign on to BMGmusicservice.com. TIA.
Old 03-12-02, 02:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Considering I work part time at a record store - great employees discount, I buy a lot (as well copy a few CD's I wouldnt normally purchase). I also buy alot of import CD singles from the UK, so yeah.... way to many CD's.
Old 03-12-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting. It seems that most of the people here who are buying less CDs are doing so for reasons other than mp3s.