Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-02, 10:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Vinyl...

Anyone here collect vinyl records? I'm not as wacko as John Cusack in High Fidelity, but prefer a mint condition vinyl record over a CD anyday. Not only does it sound better (with the right equipment), but the whole music-enjoying experience is much better. One thing that albums lack with CDs is cover art (which was almost the most important thing of albums of the 60s, 70s and 80s). Would Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti cover be what it is if it was destined for CD first? Probably not...

Inserts also played a big role... For example, The Rolling Stones' Emotional Rescue album came with a 4 x6 foot insert(!) and early pressings of Van Halen's Women and Children First came with a bxw poster of DLR (4x3 foot) taken by an obscure photographer named Helmut Newton, not to mention all the insert's in Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon...

Granted, records don't have any portability, but for home listening they will always be #1 in my book.
Old 02-05-02, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still buy CDs (vinyl's pretty hard to come by here), but I do miss the whole idea of having 2 sides. There was always that one song that was specifically intended for "closing out" the first side. It broke up the record really nicely. I always thought it gave it a better flow than cramming 14 songs on a CD with no breaks.

Michelle
Old 02-05-02, 12:10 PM

I can't say that I collect records, maybe I'm too young, poor or lazy, but I have the original Sgt. Peppers with the cutout logos and stuff, which is pretty cool. And you can definitely feel the split between the first and second side of the record.

I'd like to collect copies of my favorite albums on vinyl, but I doubt that I'd start buying everything as such.
Old 02-05-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a pretty large vinyl collection and I still occasionally buy a used record here and there. I have a lot of great stuff that never made it to CD plus a couple of very rare albums.

I have gotten into it again recently because a friend gave me a really nice Pickering tone cartridge for my player and it sounds incredible, so I have been busting out my old Freddie King and John Coltrane albums and re-living my past.
Old 02-05-02, 12:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I do buy a lot of dance songs and remixes which can be exclusive to vinyl. Also, some of the real indie bands still put out 45's.
Old 02-05-02, 01:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
Also, some of the real indie bands still put out 45's.
I was actually surprised at how many newer albums are available on vinyl. For example, I recently saw all the new Metallica albums, the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication, Creed's Human Clay and almost all new rap albums available on vinyl. I did notice that a lot of European artists can still be bought on vinyl. Is vinyl still relatively big over there, anyone know?
Old 02-05-02, 01:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I notice on my weekly order to the UK that vinyl is definately an option on the newer releases as well. I have noted this in the past, as well as others. that a few newer releases the vinyl version will have an exclusive song. Luna's live album has two extra tracks not found on the CD version. Rap albums on vinyl are more prevailent probably due to the reason that many professional DJ's prefer spinning with vinyl than CD's.

Last edited by Giles; 02-05-02 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-05-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel like I was late buying a CD player in 1988. I was totally happy with my LP's. But after having a CD player for just a few days I realized I liked that better in most respects. I have a few hundred albums I never listen to and they are a royal pain to move... but I REALLY like the big size... the art part of it. I miss that. I recorded a few songs from my LPs to CD and was surprised how good that sounds, but after finding some pretty obscure stuff on MP3 I decided it's just easier to download most of it. If I could sell my records and get any decent bucks for them I would.
Old 02-05-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I buy vinyl.... only singles that I use for mixing as a hobby.
Old 02-06-02, 09:00 PM

Vinyl all the way. I have been collecting records since I have been about 15 (when I started mixing). I pick up anything from Stevie Ray Vaughan to Kraftwerk to Kool and the Gang. But, most of my collection consists of techno and house. Last time I counted I had roughly 2,000+ records.

Just the other day I stopped at my local used bookstore only to find "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. When I took it home and pulled it out of the sleeve I got that lovely static feel. Knowing that this record has never been played before. I just about had an orgasam.

modiman.com

Last edited by modiman; 02-06-02 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-07-02, 02:20 PM

I'm all about vinyl.

To me, there is absolutely no comparison, sonically, between an unplayed analog record and a digitally inferior CD. Other things that I feel vinyl has going for it are the art work (as mentioned elsewhere) and the fact that when buying vinyl copies of older albums, you are experiencing them on the medium for which their release was originally intended.

I have a fairly large collection that is ever expanding, always in search of better copies and hardly seen or heard of albums from the 60s and early 70s.

One of my absolute favorite vinyl finds was a sealed copy of Peter & Gordon's final, psychedelic album, Hot, Cold & Custard. This album is so overlooked in the annals of music history that it truly is a crime.

Thanks for reading,
KARNOVAL

P.S. If anyone happens to have a mint condition, original copy of Of Cabbages and Kings by Chad & Jeremy, I'd be happy to fork over some dough for it.
Old 02-07-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any reputable places online to order vinyl? I've been searching for a copy of Neil Young's On the Beach. A friend put it on minidisc for me, but I want the real thing. There are vinyl specialty shops here in NYC, but normally the record goes for $30 or $40. Which is just too much. So anyone have any suggestions (other than eBay)?
Old 02-07-02, 04:03 PM

Not likely to find it for less than $30 online.

Neil's said that it will eventually be released along with his entire back catalog on DVD-A, a format of which he is a huge supporter.

Thanks for reading,
KARNOVAL
Old 02-07-02, 10:54 PM
Banned

Ah yes vinyl. I've been collecting them for the last 15 years and still searching. Most of the dance songs I collect are extremely rare and are not available on CDs. for a comphrehensive site, try Gemm

http://www.gemm.com

If anyone knows where I can find this song on vinyl, please post.

Lena = "Run to Me"
Released in 1985 by DiscoMagic
Old 02-09-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no shortage on vinyl changing hands on eBay. I've been buying all my vinyl from eBay and all of the LP's I bought were in perfect condition. I do stay away from albums that have heavy wear and rings around the covers which mean that they've been played to death.
Old 05-09-02, 01:47 AM

Help With Vinyl

i'm thinking about starting a vinyl collection as CDs aren't quite as collectable and therefore i've been resorting to digital music for the past few years. i'm trying to find LPs to Dave Matthews and apparently they are very hard to find (assuming they exist). can someone help me out on what type of albums go on LP and just some general info

thanks

dave
Old 05-09-02, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Most new vinyl -- from the last ten years or so -- is relatively scarce. It's only produced in limited runs, and isn't readily available. I'll occasionally see LPs in places like independent music stores and Hot Topic.

Some good places to look for records would be Ebay and http://www.gemm.com

Not sure whether or not DMB has anything released on vinyl, but it wouldn't surprise me. If it's ever been released, it should be listed somewhere on GEMM.