Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Travis

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-02, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travis

Anyone else here like this band? I just started listened to them. I love "The Man Who" and am also really enjoying "The Invisible Band." Opinions?
Old 01-19-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved The Man Who and listened to it for weeks straight. I was quite disappointed with the followup though. Listened to it only a few times. Its just missing something - not that catchy and kind of ho-hum songs.
Old 01-19-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I love both of those cds
Old 01-20-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard their remake of Baby One More Time heh.

Anyway, do they sing the "Sing Sing Sing" song? If so, yuck. Well, not them, but a friend ruined it for me. He is in a band and sings. Sings out of tune and LOUD that is. Sings that song... ahhhh!!
Old 01-20-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I think The Man Who was a great album. I like a lot of their b sides and other assorted covers and such. The Invisible Band is a decent CD, but doesn't come close to being as good as The Man Who. I don't own their first CD Good Feeling but it has some good songs. Here's a link to a good Travis page to get the names of some songs to download and sample from previous albums/b -sides (with intent to but of course). travis link
Old 01-21-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Man Who definitely represents the best of their work.
I agree about what was said regarding the INVISIBLE BAND....did not do it for me either.
Old 01-21-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the Invisible Band a lot. "Side" is a great song.
Old 01-22-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only have "The Man Who" and think it's very good. I was turned on to Travis because I read that the lead singer of Trash Can Sinatras gave Travis' demo to a record label. I like Travis. I LOVE the Trash Can Sinatras. They mine a similar vein, but one is much better to me.

I've heard that Coldplay is similar to Travis as well. Can anyone tell me if the Coldplay disc is worth getting? (I don't have the patience to download many songs on my slow connection).
Old 01-22-02, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I only have "The Man Who" and think it's very good. I was turned on to Travis because I read that the lead singer of Trash Can Sinatras gave Travis' demo to a record label. I like Travis. I LOVE the Trash Can Sinatras. They mine a similar vein, but one is much better to me.

I've heard that Coldplay is similar to Travis as well. Can anyone tell me if the Coldplay disc is worth getting? (I don't have the patience to download many songs on my slow connection).
The Coldplay disc is fantastic. Buy it.
Old 01-22-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think Coldplay is really all that similar to Travis. Pretty much every single song on the Coldplay album is very slow, mellow, and laid back. Even Travis's slowest songs are still more upbeat than anything on Coldplay's album. It's still a good album, but a little too slow-paced for repetive listenings - at least for me.
Old 01-22-02, 01:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
While not as soothing as Fran's voice, Turin Brake's album is also worth adding to your collection, great guitar tunes.

Travis's first album is alot more "pub" sounding and less ballady, but should also get heard. The song "More than Us" from off the first album was definately an indication as to how futures songs from Travis were to sound. The hidden bonus track from "The Man who" - "Blue Flashing Lights" is one of the few Travis songs were they rock out.
Old 01-22-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Coldplay "Parachutes" is terrific. Pick that one up.