Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Carbon Leaf

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Leaf

Anyone hear of these guys? Seems to be modern rock with a celtic twist. They started playing their song, The Boxer on the radio since they won best new artist at the AMA.

So, is anyone familiar enough with their stuff to point me towards some good songs of theirs? The Boxer is pretty cool, so I was wondering if there's anything else I should listen to before going on a CD buying rampage.
Old 01-16-02, 09:57 PM

Duran,

Big Carbon Leaf fan here. Going to see them on Feb. 2 and 8 here in Richmond (their hometown) and have seen them over 15 times in the past.

The best bet for first album to listen to is their latest one, "Echo Echo", which contains the full length version of "The Boxer". They have three other albums available as well, each just as good as the rest. "Ether-Electrified Porch Music" would be another album to check out.

Some songs to check out are "American Tale", "Blue Ridge Laughing", "Desperation Song", and their cover of "Mary Mac".

Where are you that they are playing "The Boxer"? As a fan, it is great to see the positive response that they are receiving from their AMA performance.

You can find out more about them at their web site Carbon Leaf Home and can find many of their songs on Audiogalaxy. (Haven't checked out Morpheus or WinMX).

Last edited by Metrodub; 01-16-02 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-17-02, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DC101 up here in Washington. Supposedly they're going to play a radio event ("Kegs and Eggs" for St. Patty's Day). They also are doing some shows up here in Arlington, so I might catch them there.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 01-17-02, 02:40 PM

Metrodub - Though living in Atlanta now, Richmond is my hometown too. Years ago, I saw Carbon Leaf a couple of times at the Flood Zone, I think. Where are they playing in February? I may be in town that weekend and would love to see them again.
Old 01-18-02, 12:43 PM

Shemp,

They are playing the John Marshall Hotel Ballroom on the 2nd to support SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now) and playing the Siegel Center (VCU's b-ball hall) on the 8th.
Old 04-16-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Last week my brother gave me a copy of Echo Echo - I love it. The little Charlie Brown twist to "Torn and Tattered" is great.

I went to the University of Richmond and I saw them play a few times, but I guess I didn't really appreciate them back then.

Alas, I've relocated to the midwest, so my chances of seeing them now are slim.