Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Gabriel catalog/reissues [merged]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Gabriel catalog/reissues [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-01, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gabriel catalog coming!

Peter Gabriel is releasing and remixing all his albums on dvd-a.
They will be coming starting Feb thru Apr. If you want more info check
his web site.
Old 12-14-01, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts
I cetainly hope a video compilation is caming as well.....
Old 12-14-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm...how about a NEW ALBUM, Mr. Gabriel?!?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=138239
Old 05-01-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Peter Gabriel reissues

I'm glad that PG's discs will be reissued on May 7th so I can finally upgrade my cassettes to CD (although I do have So, Us, and Shaking the Tree on disc).

Anyone know if they'll have some bonus tracks tacked on them (a la the Michael Jackson and excellent Elvis Costello reissues) or if they'll just have remastered sound. Either way, I'm happy to be able to get them, especially Security and PG III.

Also, checking CDNow, I noticed that the import "limited edition" reissues will have special mini-LP packaging. Is it safe to assume that the domestic "limited editons" will be packaged the same way?

Lastly, what are your thoughts on the score to Birdy? That's the only one of his that I never bought. Reading the review at AllMusic and seeing as how a lot of the music is based on his Security album (which I love), I may just pick this up when it comes out (again).
Old 05-01-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they are just remastered CDs. No bonus songs.
Old 05-01-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really like his earlier work. His "plays live" is a great album. You may also want to check out some albums from when he was the front man of Genesis.
Old 05-01-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have the discs I already want from Gabriel and had no idea his stuff was out of print (??).... anyway, I can't answer your question about bonus songs, but I will say that the "Birdy" soundtrack is great stuff. All instrumental, but very good.
Old 05-01-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 170 Likes on 121 Posts
I like "Birdy" although it's nowhere near his other soundtrack "Passion," which is just a freakin' work of art. "Birdy" also seems to be the hardest to find of his CDs, I looked all over for it before I found it.

I've gone off PG quite a bit since he seems to have decided never to put out a new CD ("Us" came out 10 years ago now!). I still love his old stuff but since it sounds like there's no major bonuses on the reissues I'm sticking with the CDs I've got. (Besides they might pull an "Elvis Costello" and reissue them again with more bonuses down the line)
Old 05-01-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I forgot to mention that he has also done some work with Afro-Celt Sound System.
Old 05-01-02, 09:35 PM

The newest cds do sound much better than what has been available. Much cleaner sound, better bass.

Especially his first 3 cds which had sounded pretty poor before.

His Greatest Hits package Shaking The Tree has also been remastered and sounds great.

If your a PG fan, I say upgrade.

videoking
Old 05-07-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
So, anyone pick any of these up today? I'll probably head out and get PG III and Security in a bit. I'll slowly pick up the others as more money rolls in.

Is it worth upgrading So and Us?
Old 05-13-02, 05:43 PM

I picked up all eight of his regular albums for 11.99 at Wherehouse Music last Friday. It was the cheapest price I could find. I didn't pick up the greatest hits or the live album, but I might later. They were all the limited edition versions. I haven't had a chance to fully listen to all of them, but so far
Peter Gabriel 1 and So sound great. They're on sale there until June 3 or 6, can't remember the exact date, in case anyone cares.
Old 05-23-02, 10:41 AM
Banned

Why is PG Plays Live only excerpts of the origional double album? I want "On the Air" damnit! Is there plans to release a complete version down the line.
Old 05-23-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Why is PG Plays Live only excerpts of the origional double album? I want "On the Air" damnit! Is there plans to release a complete version down the line.

Try eBay, they have a couple on there pretty cheap.
Old 05-24-02, 01:24 PM
Banned

Yeah I have the old double CD version, but I wanted a remastered version. I'm also woried this may remain the only version of the album in print and that would suck. On the other hand this could be a good thing, maybe there will be a more complete box set of live recordings down the line.
Old 08-19-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 797 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Gabriel catalog/reissues [merged]

Anyone going to buy the 25th deluxe anniversary set for SO?

I wish the 1987 Athens Concert DVD would be released separately.

To celebrate the album’s 25th anniversary, Real World/EMI has digitally remastered So for an expanded reissue, due 10/23. The reissue will be accompanied by a 16-date North American tour this fall, on which So will be performed in its entirety (alongside other Gabriel solo hits), featuring musicians from Gabriel’s 1987 tour.

The expanded So will include the two-CD Live In Athens 1987; the deluxe limited edition, meanwhile, contains an additional CD (So DNA, featuring work-in-progress song drafts), two DVDs (Live In Athens concert film and a documentary about So) as well as a 12″ vinyl single including “Courage,” “Sagrada,” and “Don’t Give Up (Alternative Version — Piano and Bvox Mix).”

http://stereogum.com/1126571/peter-g...editions/news/

Old 08-20-12, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 170 Likes on 121 Posts

The So set is really disappointing. It's full of useless tat rather than B-sides, unreleased songs, etc. I'd gladly pay for a set that was "special" in terms of music rather than just endless repetitions of the same material and bulked out with elabrorate packaing and an insanely high price. A lot of Gabriel fans seem pretty irked by this one:
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/co...-featuring-so/

Last edited by The Antipodean; 08-20-12 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-20-12, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is what I feel too.

Is there a way to see the 1987 concert from Athens?

I have all of his concert DVDs and blu-rays and wish that would be released separately.
Old 08-20-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My thoughts exactly. Very frustrating as a music fan/collector why these sets are configured the way they are. I pay attention to a lot of the reissues, but now just out of curiosity. They are getting ridculously expensive for a handful of sub-par extra songs, the redundant vinyl release, and some DVD content that will be viewed once. Where's the hi-res options and blu-ray material? It seems that Steven Wilson is the only one getting this stuff right these days...
Old 08-21-12, 06:13 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I would count a dvd of the Athens concert and a documentary about the making of the album as two VERY GOOD pieces of bonus content. Has that concert ever been available before?

I just think it sucks to have to pay for the mega premium box to get those DVD's. I would actually be more interested in buying just the DVD's and not the remastered album, vinyl, etc.
Old 03-25-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I listened to the live Athens CDs last night and Intruder and No Self Control sound great.
Old 03-25-13, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

I just got it over the weekend and I am enjoying the live stuff also. Good sound.
Old 03-26-13, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e6tYSnwRuHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-26-13, 12:14 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

So the movie POV, which I rented on VHS back in the 90's, was of the Athens concert and the new DVD is a more complete presentation of that same concert, right?

Are the DVD's mentioned above (the doc about making So and the new Athens concert) available seperately from the big expensive box set? I just want those DVD's damnit.
Old 07-12-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you decided not to buy the So Box set you are rewarded.

I want to see "Intruder" since the version on Athens is the best.

Live In Athens 1987 will be released on 16th September 2013 (17th in the US) on 2DVD, Blu-ray and digital video formats. The package contains both the full Live In Athens live show, complete with Youssou N'Dour and Le Super Etoile de Dakar's opening set for the first time, and also the "Play" DVD featuring 23 original promotional videos.

http://petergabriel.com/media/articl...recorded-show/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.