Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Stateside release of Super Furry Animals latest album!!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-01, 09:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

www.pitchforkmedia.com announces the March 2002 release of the Super Furry Animals "Rings Around the World". Like the UK release, the CD and DVD will come out the same day (fingers crossed). Pitchfork also mentions that the Furries will also tour the US in February (go figure).
Old 12-13-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I could get my $30 back that I paid for the import...
Old 12-13-01, 11:51 AM

What do these guys sound like? Any suggestions on which album to pick up?
Old 12-14-01, 08:18 AM

I know this a somewhat cliched and overused term but the best term to describe the furries is neo-psychodelic. Ranging from ballady pop, aggressive pseudo punk, techno and traditional rock they all combine these styles to create some truly great memorable melodic tunes. The best album to pick up first is their debut: "Fuzzy Logic" then "Radiator" followed by "Rings Around the World", "Guerrilla" and "Mwng" (sung completely in Welsh!). With the announcement that the DVD will also get a stateside release, it is exciting in that several past UK tours they have performed in Surround sound. Having bought the import dvd, the 6 Channel DTS soundtrack is by far one the best I have heard a musical artist use the 5.1 sound configurment to outstanding effect.
Old 12-14-01, 02:02 PM

Like Yancey, I wish I could get my $35.00 dollars back when it comes out in the States, teehee. Shame imports are so darn expensive, but the album is worth it, IMO. SFA are great.
Old 12-14-01, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow. I only paid $16 shipped from Amazon UK when this came out.

Can't wait to get the US DVD and finally get the chance to see them live, though.
Old 12-14-01, 02:28 PM

Ever since I discovered Amazon.co.uk I have saved so much on those ridiculous import prices. I've had the new SFA for a while now, its great just like all of the other albums. the first is still my favorite though.

I can't believe the DVD is getting released here! That's great news. Weren't they signed to Flydaddy in the States?
Old 12-14-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by greeny
Like Yancey, I wish I could get my $35.00 dollars back when it comes out in the States, teehee. Shame imports are so darn expensive, but the album is worth it, IMO. SFA are great.
I was actually a little disappointed, but I think my expectations were waaaaaay too high. I haven't listened to it in a while, maybe it will catch my ear again if I spend some more time with it.
Old 12-15-01, 12:41 AM

Amazon, is the only way to go in terms of full length albums, VAT free and great P&H pricing. Second best website is www.action-records.co.uk VAT knocked off and they carry a great selection of independent CD and vinyl singles.
Old 12-15-01, 11:18 AM

I bought my import (stupidly) at a local Record Shoppe cos it was an impulse buy at the time. I can vouch for action-records, they are just wonderful. I have ordered tons of singles and albums from them and btw, their service people are extra nice. Just thought I'd share my two cents.
Old 12-15-01, 01:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by Giles
Amazon, is the only way to go in terms of full length albums, VAT free and great P&H pricing. Second best website is www.action-records.co.uk VAT knocked off and they carry a great selection of independent CD and vinyl singles.
</small>As a Brit, I cannot speak for their overseas service, but aside from the odd Amazon.co.uk purchase, when I am buying domestically I use 101cd.com* and musica.co.uk because of the great selection each has: they can source CDs from continental Europe as well as UK releases. BTW, CD-WOW.com are cheap but have a less extensive catalogue.

* I don't know about 101cd.com's VAT policy but they say that their overseas shipping charges are based on what it costs them i.e. no profit element. You can use Paypal there which may be useful for some people....
Old 12-16-01, 09:58 AM

I just used 101CD for the first time in ordering a replacement copy of Travis' "Good Feeling" at 6 pounds.