Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

any 16 horsepower fans?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

any 16 horsepower fans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any 16 horsepower fans?

i love these guys and have been listening for years. i just read that the band is splitting up for a bit. i think some memebr wanted to rest and the lead singer wanted to keep on, so he split off and started a band called, woven hand . anyone heard any of the woven hand stuff yet? i can't seem to find it anywhere.
Old 12-04-01, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoy the music that 16 Horsepower has made, and I'm sad to see them break up. I haven't heard Woven Hand, so let me know how it sounds if you get it.
Old 12-04-01, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this band very much. Maybe my favorite American band around today. I was reading a couple of days ago that they feel they need a break after years of nonstop work. Also, Edwards (lead singer) said the other guys in the band don't share his beliefs and are getting tired of the subject matter. I didn't know about this Woven Hand thing until reading this news and was happy to hear that it's basically a stripped down 16 Horsepower recording. He said no matter what he does will probably sound like 16HP because that is who he is. Maybe you read this from the same source, but it's cool to know another recording is coming. "Secret South" was incredible. I was listening to the latest Nick Cave CD today and really like it, but I think 16 HP is even better.
Old 12-05-01, 12:57 AM

it's sad to see them split, but if it comes down to edwards wanting to keep making music in the line of what they've released so far, i'm all for it. i'd hat to see them go in a totally different direction.

did you guys get to see them in concert at all?
Old 12-05-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw them a year ago in Atlanta. I loved it. I was actually expecting Edwards to be
kind of crazy on stage, but he just sat on a stool. They did a Joy Division cover that was awesome. Did you see them?
Old 12-05-01, 06:54 PM

yeah, i've seen them 3 times now. edwards is a little spooky don't you think? he makes a lot of strange faces. last time i saw them, after the show he stood up and started making bizarre arm movements towards the crowd, then walked off the stage. i asked the guy next to me what the hell that was and he said that edwards blesses the crowd after every show. i never noticed him do it before, but it kind of gave me the creeps. they put on an amzing show though. they're one of my favorite live shows. they have such a great energy in their music.
Old 12-05-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's funny. You know, now that you mention it he did that at the Atlanta show.
I forgot about that. I'm curious, do you like this band mainly for their music, or do
you find the lyrics interesting and meaningful? I know when I hear Nick Cave, especially
his older stuff, it can be kind of frightening. I've always found heavy metal music to be
laughably bad... and the "religious" or sacreligious lyrics sounded cartoonish. But
Nick Cave sounded so serious to me (and I have learned through one of his spoken
word Cd's that he IS serious about his subject matter). I mention Nick Cave only because
16 Horsepower definitely sounds similar at times. I actually had a friend at my church
turn me onto 16HP and at first I thought these guys were just joking around with biblical
lyrics in a way I thought Nick Cave was joking around. After really digging
into all of their albums I know now that Edwards is devout and reverant. Maybe in ways
that would frighten other churchgoers! I find his art very convincing and cool. It's not
surprising to me that there are many many people who like this band who don't care for
"religion". Maybe you don't either, but it's hard to ignore a band this intense and creative.
Old 12-05-01, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I'm curious, do you like this band mainly for their music, or do
you find the lyrics interesting and meaningful?

It's not surprising to me that there are many many people who like this band who don't care for "religion". Maybe you don't either, but it's hard to ignore a band this intense and creative.
i love the music first and foremost, but i certainly find the lyrics interesting too. i'm not a religious person, so the content of the lyrics don't really affect me on a spiritual level per-se. i tend to not listen to christian music just because i can't seem to get into a song that's all about jesus. it never really occured to me that they might be considered a 'religious band'. when i first heard 16 horsepower, i knew nothing about his beliefs, which are baptist right?. then i read about his upbringing and started reading the lyrics and that's when i really found out what he's all about. i've heard their music described as "fire and brimstone rock" and i think that's as accurate a description as i've read. everyone i introduce them to likes, if not loves the music. maybe i can't necessarily relate to what edwards goes through with his faith, but i love the passion and intensity that comes out through his music. it's like nothing i've heard before. i haven't heard much of nick cave's stuff, but i'll check into it after reading your posts.

i guess, ultimately what i love about their music is that he's not preaching or trying to convert anyone, he's just relating what he's gone through and what his beliefs mean to him. and that's not always a happy, pure, innocent thing. sometimes it's dark and scary, especially for someone with deep religious beliefs, and sometimes i just love to tag along for the ride.
Old 12-06-01, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Monkeyboy, you nailed it. You expressed exactly why I love this band more than some of the Christian music I listen to. He's relating what he has gone through in a very real way... which happens to informed by his beliefs. I am actually pretty serious about my faith, but I'd be a liar if I said I always relate to happy, sunshiny Christian songs. I relate to 16HP just as much. Life is messy even under the best circumstances. I agree this music could be called "brimstone and fire" rock. But as a believer I hear a lot of hope in his songs and he's definitely coming from a New Testament perspective. Well, thanks for talking about this band with me! I like this subject and wouldn't "preach" to ya.

By the way, if you seek out Nick Cave I should let you know he was in a band called The Birthday Party in the early 80's. It was some nasty noise, but lyrically similar in reach to some of Cave's solo material. I'm trying to think of a recording to recommend.... his newer albums are a bit mellow at times. Oh man, if you want to hear a GREAT song check out "Loverman" from the CD "Let Love In". He's got a great, commanding voice.
Old 12-06-01, 10:02 PM

Sackcloth 'N' Ashes

I Seen What I Saw

i seen ya in your red room laughin'
with your shinin' coffee can
so many wrongs all kinds a goins on
held my head an ran

but i hid and did a bit more lookin'
saw ya dancin' on the pine porch creakin'
mouth open an doors down wide
here's what was inside
i seen what i saw
an these things i do are wrong, that's all
an these tales i tales i tell are tall

then i climbed up on the big horse strapin'
put the spur down to blood
he took off 16 horses strong
left me lyin' in mud
an there i sit until the sun's up shinin'
yes an black stands my ride
twenty hands high
an watchin' spookeyed
my hands on his side

i think this song is probably my favorite. it's the first one i ever heard by them and it made such an impact that every time i hear it now, i go right back to the first time i heard it.
Old 03-01-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry to bring back a 5 yr old thread. I've been a member of dvdtalk since 01 but just started coming to the music forum.
I just found my old cd of Sackcloth N Ashes and just made me remember how much i loved them. My first experience with them was when they opened up for the Violent Femmes in 96/97. I never heard of them before and when they walked on stage and just wanted them to get on with it so the femmes could come on. Then about 1 minute into their first song i was amazed. I actually missed the Violent Femmes so i could go out and try to meet them, which i did which really made my night.