Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Jackson Has Skin Darkened

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-27-01, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael Jackson had his skin darkened for the telecast of his 30th anniversary concert on CBS. According to People magazine, sources working on the videotape of the star-studded concert, which was shot in September, claim Jackson had himself made digitally blacker for the broadcast version this month. The pop king used a special effects device called the Henry Machine after seeing footage showing the dramatic difference between his skin color and his five brothers as they performed on stage.
Old 11-27-01, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't believe it. He was as pale as ever. A Henry Machine?
Old 11-27-01, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My best guess: "Henry machine" as in Henry Selinger, the creator of the blackface radio drama "Sam 'n' Henry", which later became "Amos 'n' Andy".
Old 11-28-01, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He should have someone digitize a nose onto his face.
Old 11-28-01, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whitney Houston was also "digitally altered".
Old 11-28-01, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this true???

C'mon...

You know, I just caved and got 'Thriller' and it was obvious he had some work done..and he looked okay...still a 'brother' , but very hip and mainstream....

Why?

On one hand, it doesn't matter if you are Black or White, but to Mike it does?

"digitally blacker"-Can we do this with Spike Lee...we'd have a Black-Out!

The nose thing is sick....and bleaching oneself is sick.
The ONLY thing I can think of is he has deep issues with his FATHER.
Old 11-28-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Burnt Alive
Whitney Houston was also "digitally altered".
Yeah!!! I saw this!!!

she's really thin and sick looking onstage and they "added to her body" so she wouldn't look so gross.

These 2 are sick freaks.
Old 11-28-01, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Is this true???

Originally posted by Weapon X

The nose thing is sick....and bleaching oneself is sick.
[/B]

Can you really bleach yourself?
Old 11-28-01, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Is this true???

Originally posted by Trout

Can you really bleach yourself?
According to MJ, no. And he denies any such thing. He claims to have vitiligo which cause the skin to whiten.

Whitney Houston was digitally altered for the MJ concert? If she was, those who did it didn't do all that great of a job. She was bony and ill-looking. Rumors about her doing drugs don't seem all that far-fetched.
Old 11-28-01, 10:30 PM
Banned

I had the chance to meet Michael in person years ago, during the filming of the Black & White video, and yes, he HAS vitiligo. For those who doesn´t know, Vitiligo is spontaneous irregular depigmentation of skin which can occur at any stage in life. Scientifically, its cause is very poorly understood. It is not contagious and is technically not a serious health problem. But people with vitiligo and their families and friends know that it can cause much suffering because of social effects of the change in appearance.

That doesn´t make úp for all the plastic surgery procedures Michael endured thru the years, but the bleaching was a choice as not to make his skin look weird and uneven.

Last edited by smartt; 11-28-01 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-28-01, 10:39 PM
Banned

GENERAL INFORMATION:

Definition:

Vitiligo is a disfiguring medical disease whose cause is unknown. Vitiligo causes destruction of melanocytes in the skin, mucous membranes, eyes, inner ear, and occasionally in hair bulbs. Melanocytes provide the pigment that gives skin its color. The loss of melanocytes alters both the structure and function of these organs and results in the absence of pigment.

Scope:

This disease affects an estimated 1% of the world's population. It affects individuals of all ethnic origins and both sexes. Loss of pigment most commonly is noted first on the hands, feet, arms, face or lips. Frequently this disease is progressive.

Therapy:

The primary goal of therapy is to restore the skin's color by restoring melanocytes to the skin. Repigmentation of the skin with melanocytes allows the skin to regain its normal immune/inflammatory functions and improves the appearance of those suffering from this disease.

Medical: Several methods of treatment with varying success rates are currently in use. Some doctors prescribe skin creams and/or ointments with corticosteriods. The treatment most commonly used is the application or ingestion of the drug psoralens followed by exposure to Ultra-Violet light (sun light). This combined treatment is known as PUVA. It is reported that these treatments result in limited success (only 61% of patients achieve more than 25% repigmentation). Even in patients who have a good response to medical treatment methods, the hands, fingers, feet, and ankles frequently do not regiment.

Surgical: You should consider the surgical treatment of vitiligo only if:
- Your vitiligo has not changed in the last year.
- You have not or no longer respond to PUVA treatment.
- Your skin has never permanently lost its color (pigment) when you have suffered a small cut or scrape.
Surgical treatment is ideal for those that have Segmental Vitiligo (this form involves an area only on one side of the body and tends not to be responsive to non surgical treatment methods)
Old 11-28-01, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe he admitted to using make-up to blend in otherwise he would be patchy like the person in the graphic above.
Old 11-28-01, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having patchy pinto markings couldn't possibly make Michael look any weirder.
Old 11-29-01, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo
Having patchy pinto markings couldn't possibly make Michael look any weirder.

But he's soooooo white. Look at the above pic...at least there's some pink.

On MJ he's looks like a ceramic vase.
Old 11-29-01, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giantrobo

But he's soooooo white. Look at the above pic...at least there's some pink.

On MJ he's looks like a ceramic vase.
Nah, he's just shedding his human skin to reveal his real identity:

Old 11-29-01, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if he did it to cover his illness, maybe a statement to the Black community might have been nice.....

He KNOWS how it is construed...

I feel bad for the man, but who knows???
Couldn't he have his skin DARKENED?

I wish him the best....UNLESS he DID molest kids. I don't know, so I'm not judging.
Old 11-29-01, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You have to realize his original intent re: the skin bleaching. He was trying to look like Liz Taylor at first, but then found out he'd have to gain a couple hundred pounds and marry eight times in order to be like his idol. He opted to cut off his nose instead, as that was easier.
Old 11-29-01, 09:14 PM

How much of his face is real? I was reading in one of the tabs. that his nose fell off during a concert when he scratched it (he reminds me of Dan Akroyd in "Nothing but trouble")..
Old 11-30-01, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't really no what to say, othre than I think MJ probably does have the disease, and he probably uses makeup to make his skin the dominant color again. If the black skin peels off and becomes whiter, and there is a lot of it, it's easier to just make the wholething lighter I guess
Old 11-30-01, 05:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Thunderball
Don't really no what to say, othre than I think MJ probably does have the disease, and he probably uses makeup to make his skin the dominant color again. If the black skin peels off and becomes whiter, and there is a lot of it, it's easier to just make the wholething lighter I guess
You guessed corretly. Vitiligo always tends to WHITEN the skin. It starts as pink, and then gradually loses all the pigmentation.
Old 11-30-01, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So many rumors still follow this man.
Old 11-30-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would he want to reverse his blackendectomy?
Old 11-30-01, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by smartt
I had the chance to meet Michael in person years ago, during the filming of the Black & White video, and yes, he HAS vitiligo.
You must be a dermatologist or some sort of physician since you were able to diagnose his condition by meeting him on a video shoot.

I have this mole, you want to check it out for me?
Old 12-01-01, 02:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Yancey

You must be a dermatologist or some sort of physician since you were able to diagnose his condition by meeting him on a video shoot.
Yes, I am a dermatologist. I was on the shoot as a assistant to Mr. Jackson´s official dermatologist, Dr. Reuben Biafora, to check out the intensity of the lights during the infamous, and now deleted, car wrecking sequence for the video.

Sorry but I´m not allowed to divulge further info about Mr. Jackson´s condition, so don´t ask.