Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Bands To See Live

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Best Bands To See Live

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-01, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mr. Self Destruct

I agree..I saw the concert they played on VH1. While it sounded great, it is absolutely *nothing* compared to actually being there. I'm not sure --is the Elevation DVD worth buying after seeing it live? I know it's no replacement..but I do love the music.
Anyone?

The DVD is definitely a poor substitute to actually being at the show, but if you like U2 it is a nice souvenir of the Elevation tour. There are also some extras like the making of documentary, perspectives from the director's booth and camera in the crowd (not full screen unfortunately), and a couple of other U2 song performances that are worth seeing. The Bonocam easter eggs are great, too.

It's too bad they didn't film concerts from the fall leg of the tour....those were even more amazing and emotional than the spring shows.
Old 12-13-01, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Those that have blown me away:

Tool - just get better and better with each show. Took the wifey to see them for her first time in October. She wasn't too thrilled to be going because in her words, "I just can't get into them." The first thing she said to me after the show was, "The next time Tool comes to town we're definately going!"

Jane's Addiction - total insanity.

Ministry - more insanity.

Nine Inch Nails - always amazing.

Sonic Youth - that beautiful garage sound comes through live, too.

Project Pitchfork - had never heard of them but fell in love with the music instantly.

Bauhaus, The Cure, Depeche Mode - all so big in my mind that I could only gaze in awe.

Descendents, Deftones, Pennywise, Clutch, Face to Face - pure energy. Always a good time at their shows.
Old 12-13-01, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by gilbertr76
Those that have blown me away:

Tool - just get better and better with each show. Took the wifey to see them for her first time in October. She wasn't too thrilled to be going because in her words, "I just can't get into them." The first thing she said to me after the show was, "The next time Tool comes to town we're definately going!"

Jane's Addiction - total insanity.

Ministry - more insanity.

Nine Inch Nails - always amazing.

Sonic Youth - that beautiful garage sound comes through live, too.

Project Pitchfork - had never heard of them but fell in love with the music instantly.

Bauhaus, The Cure, Depeche Mode - all so big in my mind that I could only gaze in awe.

Descendents, Deftones, Pennywise, Clutch, Face to Face - pure energy. Always a good time at their shows.
I'll second that on the Descendents & Clutch!!!! Rock on brother
Old 12-15-01, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've seen lots of show and these are the ones that stand out in my mind at the moment:

Material Issue
Buzzcocks
the Knack
Stranglers
Reivers
Brian Wilson (with the Wondermints)
Beautiful South
Inspiral Carpets
Jason Falkner
Chumbawamba
Old 12-17-01, 01:29 AM

THE SLACKERS!

great ska/rocksteady band! and this is not that pansy schmamsy ska stuff that the media glorified for all of half of 1997, this is bonefied genuine ska that was not corrupted by mainstream medium. they take a lot of inspiration from Marley and The Specials, so they don't sound like the annoying bands like Reel Big Fish and No Doubt..
Slackers website
absolutely my favorite touring band (partially because their tickets rarely cost more than $15)!!!

and Hepcat was really good before they broke up! damn you, alex dessert (of Becker [tv show] fame)! he used to be a member of Hepcat, but when he left due to Becker the band went kaput. they were closer to Marley than the Slackers are.
absolutely phenomenal!
-di doctor-
Old 01-15-02, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Best bands I've seen...

Phish
Nine Inch Nails
String Cheese Incident
moe.
Galactic
Particle (L.A. funk band - Highly recommended)
Los Lobos
Old 97's
Tool
Beastie Boys
Tribe Called Quest

Last edited by Gdrlv; 01-15-02 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-16-02, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by einTier

Tori Amos is also great, it's amazing to see how her talent is not the result of endless hours of post-production and re-recording in the studio.

I agree 100% about Tori. I saw her live a couple of years ago and have been dying to get back to one of her concerts (a TERRIBLE incident happened with the concerts she had scheduled here--they were relocated and then sold out--ARG!). If you're into that rush you get through your veins and the chills up your spine when you can REALLY feel all that's put into the music, Tori is the way to go.

And, hmph, I know I might get stoned for this, but Korn was great live. I've been a fan since their self-titled album, and it was such a dream to bo so close to Jonathan Davis. They really get you going.

I wish I had been able to see Rage live before, YUCK, Cornell replaces Zach, but I never made it. Such a sad day it was when they were no more.

Same goes with the Smashing Pumpkins. Not being able to see them live was a let-down.

Now, Lords of Acid are great, if you don't mind watching sexual acts being performed on stage.

And Psychotica put on a good show, too.

Who else, who else...

I had to see...Carmen Something-Or-Other when I was a kid. He's some Christian artist, and it was awful. Never do that. However, I did catch POD, and I liked them.

I saw Papa Roach for free, and that was a waste of the zero dollars I spent on it. Don't go down that alley.

I'm done, I think.

Oh! Pink Floyd...I agree. AWESOME.

Old 01-16-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

be less people
Old 01-17-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my favorite bands to see live:

Flogging Molly - absolutely amazing live. They play a mix of celtic music and punk rock (like the Pogues on speed). awesome live band.

Other bands that I've seen that put on good live shows:

Pink Floyd (amazing even if you're not on drugs)
Metallica
NOFX
Aquabats
Gwar (ok.. sick & twisted.. but entertaining)

so many to name. I've seen tons of bands live and have enjoyed the majority of them. But.. Flogging Molly is easily one of my favorite bands to see live -- especially when they headline the show.
Old 01-17-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DrRingDing
THE SLACKERS!

and Hepcat was really good before they broke up-di doctor-
Slacker are good live, I've seen them a few times, however I think I enjoyed Hepcat's live shows better -- well.. when Alex was still there. I first saw them back in '93. I saw them last when they opened for Joe Strummer, and they started without Alex.. but he joined them on stage... which was really cool.
Old 02-09-02, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Korn - seen em 9 times and its amazing each and every time
Old 02-09-02, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Received 719 Likes on 476 Posts
You wanted the best and you got the best...

KISS

Hands down, the best live show ever!

And for us "older folk"..

The Who had a show filled with energy like no other, back in the day...
Old 02-09-02, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 719 Likes on 476 Posts
Also during the Holidays...

Nothing beats Trans Siberian Orchestra!

Definately recommend this show.
Old 02-10-02, 01:11 PM

Peter Gabriel
"Secret World" Tour

Absolutely awesome!
Old 02-10-02, 06:07 PM

Last October, I saw Alice Cooper, and Tool like three days later in Kansas City. Both shows blew me away. Pantera puts on a pretty energetic show also.
Old 02-10-02, 06:47 PM

Best live shows Ive ever seen..

KISS
Motley Crue
Poison
Marilyn Manson
Dream Theater
Van Halen W/Gary Cherone
Bon Jovi