Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tool & Tricky

Old 11-01-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tool & Tricky

going to see Tool tomorrow & I think I heard Tricky is opening.

Never heard of Tricky before, what are the best Tricky songs so I can familarize my self.
Old 11-01-01, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

tricky's had 4 albums. i think he's probably most known for being a member of massive attack when they first got started. i don't think many of his songs were released as singles so the only song that i remember that was released as a single was "christian sands."
Old 11-01-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tricky's cds are just real good screwin' music... take my word for it. His cover of Public Enemy's "Black Steel" on the Maxinquaye cd is killer, but the Pre-Milenium Tension cd is great too. I've never listened to Tool, so I can't compare for ya, but if my assumptions are correct, Tool is hard rock? Tricky is NOT hard rock. He has very sensual rhythms and hypnotic, often ethreal lyrics, with occasional beats. Very trippy stuff indeed.
Old 11-01-01, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw Tricky this summer in Philly when he was promoting 'Blowback.' Put on one heck of a show...Songs you would know? If you never heard of him, I doubt you would know/heard his music...He has never been appreiciated in the US....A shame because Tricky is one of the few musical artists working today and 'artist' not being the generic title given to the mostly undeserving group of bands and musicians out there today (Total Request).

A list of Tricky's albums:

Nearly God
Maxinquaye
Pre-Millennuim Tension
Angel's With Dirty Faces
Juxtapose (the only one I do not have, cannot stand DJ Muggs)
Blowback

Last edited by lostatmidnight; 11-01-01 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-02-01, 07:36 AM

Tricky's first album, 1995's Maxinquaye, was a critical and commercial success in the UK and is considered by most fans to be his best album. Pre-Millenium Tension is my favorite, but it's pretty weird. Blowback is probably the most accessible album he's made and is a good place to start, even though it isn't as good as Maxinquaye. I'd skip Angels With Dirty Faces and Juxtapose unless you really love the other albums; both feature a couple of good tracks but too much filler. Blowback features contributions from artists such as the Chili Peppers, Alanis Morrissette, Ed from Live and Cyndi Lauper(!!).