Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Don't you hate when bands put "hidden songs" at the end of a CD?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-01-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I mean, I find it really annoying. Last track, 4:00 song, then 5 minutes of silence to wait through before the "hidden song".

Why do they do this?

No matter what the track is, it's annoying. If the song is good, I have to fast-forward through 5 mintues of silence. If it sucks, I have to wait through the whole thing to get back to Track 1.

Someone explain this madness!!!!

I guess to keep this thread alive, I'll ask what your favorite "hidden track" is?
Old 11-01-01, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kinda neat when you first find them. My favorite is still the mini-song on the Green Day album Dookie.
Old 11-01-01, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really hate it when you wait through the 5 min of silence only to find 30 seconds of feedback.

The other thing that's annoying is when they add extra tracks like Cracker's Kerosene Hat or NIN's Broken. If you like putting CDs in a changer and hitting shuffle then those really get annoying because most of the time the player shuffles to that disc it'll play a track of silence.

I've got no problem if they just add a new track at the end that's not listed, though. I consider that a nice surprise.

That said, Euro-trash Girl off of Kerosene Hat is one of my favorite bonus songs ever. That, and the hidden track on the Songs from the X-Files disc that comes before track one. That track is found by 'rewinding' the disc about 9 mins. from the start of track one and features an otherwise unreleased Nick Cave song, plus the Dirty Three performing thier version of the X-files theme song. Very cool.
Old 11-01-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tscott
I really hate it when you wait through the 5 min of silence only to find 30 seconds of feedback.

The other thing that's annoying is when they add extra tracks like Cracker's Kerosene Hat or NIN's Broken. If you like putting CDs in a changer and hitting shuffle then those really get annoying because most of the time the player shuffles to that disc it'll play a track of silence.

I've got no problem if they just add a new track at the end that's not listed, though. I consider that a nice surprise.

That said, Euro-trash Girl off of Kerosene Hat is one of my favorite bonus songs ever. That, and the hidden track on the Songs from the X-Files disc that comes before track one. That track is found by 'rewinding' the disc about 9 mins. from the start of track one and features an otherwise unreleased Nick Cave song, plus the Dirty Three performing thier version of the X-files theme song. Very cool.
I was just going to mention that X-Files album. You beat me to it. I hate that you have to rewind & hear part of it before you really play it. Luckily, I hate that album & never play any of it. - & I didn't know Euro-trash Girl was a bonus track. I love that song.

I can't think of any albums I have with songs after a long silence so it's not really a problem for me. What's more annoying: having a track of long silence & then a song or breaking up the silence into several short tracks (ex: say there are only 12 or 14 songs & the bonus is track 50 or 99 or whatever)?

Semi-related: On the vinyl record of James Gang's Yer Album, there is a hidden message at the end during the wide groove that goes to the center of the disc. If you have an old manual player where the needle doesn't pop up, release, & go back - you will hear your record talk to you. I think it says. "play me again. play me again. play me again..." over & over again. Pretty cute. & I think I have another old record (or maybe it's the same one) where you hear laughter during that part.

& who doesn't miss playing records backwards for hidden messages?
Old 11-01-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No extended silence here, just one kick asss extra song... Band; The Clash, Album/CD; London Calling, Song; Train in Vain. Classic.
Old 11-01-01, 03:15 PM

I love the last track on Ozzys No Rest for the Wicked. I think its called "Please Dont Go".

Theres another good hidden track on Sponges Rotting Pinata. After the last song rewind the CD and youll hear it.
Old 11-01-01, 03:37 PM

I HATE hidden tracks! It would be different if the hidden song was a separate track, but I hate having to scan 10 minutes to hear a song that most times isn't that good anyway.

My favorites (right now I can't remember what they might be called):

REM - end of "Green"
Duncan Sheik - end of "Humming"
Alanis Morissette - end of "Jagged Little Pill"
Old 11-01-01, 05:34 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

the worst thing about these is when you listen to a cd and fall asleep while it is ending, and then after 10 minutes of silence you get woken up and are wondering what the hell just happened...
Old 11-01-01, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Why Store - Lack of Water

it was the only hit on the Cd & it was a hidden track, the tape didn't even have it. Awesome song though
Old 11-01-01, 08:28 PM

Rip it, cut the silence out, make the secret track a real track and then burn it back.

Damn Sopranos soundtrack did that with the theme song - they put it after about 5 minutes of lines from the show. Like I need to here a bunch of random chatter before one of the best songs on the release? I'd rip and re-burn it, but I bought it on SACD - oops.
Old 11-01-01, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few months ago at about 3am, I was playing a video game with the sound muted, and I had The Quakes - Quiff Rock CD in my stereo (and had the volume up pretty loud).
Well....I forgot about the secret track.
The CD ended, and I finished my game about a minute later, and I layed down on my bed and rested for a few minutes (I was half asleep anyway)....all of a sudden, I heard a scream, and literally jumped a few feet in the air (which is hard to do when you're laying down).
It took me a few minutes to figure out that it was just the secret track.
Old 11-05-01, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
the worst thing about these is when you listen to a cd and fall asleep while it is ending, and then after 10 minutes of silence you get woken up and are wondering what the hell just happened...
Actually, I usually feel appreciative when a hidden track wakes me up. It's the kick in the arse I need to get up off the couch, turn off the stereo and go to bed!
Old 11-05-01, 06:49 PM

The one at the end of Ash's "1977" is the best.
Old 11-07-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Towards Ecstasy has a beautiful solo piano version of "Possession" at the end. It's just as good, if not better, than anything else on the album.

I do think it's annoying, because then you have to edit the .WAV file of the last track at just the right place to separate it into two files before converting them into MP3s.
Old 11-07-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Damn Sopranos soundtrack did that with the theme song - they put it after about 5 minutes of lines from the show. Like I need to here a bunch of random chatter before one of the best songs on the release? I'd rip and re-burn it, but I bought it on SACD - oops.
You have the 2nd Sopranos soundtrack... and that's an edited version of the theme song.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...959856-0475067

The first Sopranos soundtrack CD has the full version and no dialogue.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...959856-0475067
Old 11-07-01, 02:25 PM

I don't mind hidden tracks.

HOWEVER, I do despise the following:

1) Spoken interludes that either:

A) Are not listed as tracks on the liner notes. Therefore, you need to keep skipping around as the true album tracks are not in the numerical sequence listed.

B) Are tacked onto the beginning or end of the song resulting in the need to manually skip over the babble with the search function.

2) Glossy black liner notes that collect fingerprints like dust.

3) Digipacks, especially when they pass themselves off as limited editions (e.g., Blink 182). What's the advantage over a jewel case for the consumer?

4) Cheap re-issues that have inserts instead of booklets.

5) Fold-out booklets, especially those in poster format.

These suck.

- Matt C.
Old 11-08-01, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I just really hate it when you fall asleep to a cd playing and then BOOM!! the hidden track wakes you up. Enough to piss off anyone.

But yes, the long silence can get annoying.