Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Have Savage Garden split up?

Old 11-01-01, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have Savage Garden split up?

I don't know if you've heard of the in the US but I was just reading an article on IMDB and it referred to one of the guys as ex Savage Garden singer. I hope not I really enjoy this band.
Old 11-01-01, 08:48 AM

Yep they are gonners...

Australian music duo Savage Garden call it quits
SYDNEY, Oct 5 (Reuters) - Australian pop music duo Savage Garden, with global sales of 20 million records in four years, have split.

Band member Darren Hayes will embark on a solo career and Daniel Jones, preferring life outside the public eye, has returned home to Brisbane, where the two first met through an advertisement in a local music magazine.

``We achieved something so great in a short period of time that we had to look for something else,'' Jones said on Friday.

``We've both had a lot of success together. We'll probably have a lot of success independently in the future.''

Savage Garden's single ``Truly, Madly, Deeply'' topped America's Billboard Hot 100 hits chart in 1998 and won a Billboard Music Award for adult contemporary single of the year.

Last year, their single ``I Knew I Loved You'' topped the Billboard Hot 100.

The band emerged on the Australian music scene in 1996 and a year later won a record 10 ARIAs, the domestic music industry's most prestigious award.

Reuters/Variety REUTERS
Old 11-01-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why does it even matter? Darren Hayes was the only singer of the group so it is bound to sound the same when he goes solo.
Old 11-01-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But the other guy wrote all the music, right?
Old 11-01-01, 10:51 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Yep when I heard Linkin Park, I knew the lead singer from SG moved over to a new band.

I really think they sound like a heavier version of Savage Garden
Old 11-01-01, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Yep when I heard Linkin Park, I knew the lead singer from SG moved over to a new band.

I really think they sound like a heavier version of Savage Garden
That's .... interesting. I remember someone saying that before on DVDtalk, don't think it was you. I really can't see any connections. I actually have listened a Savage Garden song, followed by a Linkin Park song and see no resemblances vocally whatsoever. BTW, who in Linkin Park do you think sounds like Darren Hayes? Mike (more rap like) or Chester (more rock)? I also have heard someone say that Linkin Park is a hard 311. Why all the comparisons, I'm not sure.
Old 11-01-01, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Today, 6 more people in the world are mourning.