Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Why is Blind Melon so underrated

Old 10-25-01, 06:27 PM

Why is Blind Melon so underrated

They are one of my favorite bands ever. The singing is amazing, the lyrics are amazing, and the guitarists are amazing. That was one good band. I would also put their first cd, Blind Melon, in my top 5 favorite cds.
Old 10-25-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think "amazing" is a bit overstating IMO, but they were good for what they were at the time, decent songwriting and production. Their live show left a little to be desired but maybe I saw them on an off night. The lead singer died after the second album was released in 1995 and the band didn't continue on.

I do like the mood of the song Sleepyhouse though, excellent production on that song. Listen to it with headphones on and it is even more of a treat.
Old 10-25-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess that my problem with BM goes back to some of what they said about Dream Theater. I have forgotten the quote, but it essentially was that Dream Theater had no emotion and were only trying to show how much better they are than other bands. The tone of the comment was really what upset me.

I'm sure that this isn't the reason the masses don't embrace BM. But, it does add to the reason a few might not be big on BM.
Old 10-26-01, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They were not my perfect cup of tea, but I think their biggest problem was not having time to break past their "No Rain" hit. For example, had STP or Radiohead folded after "Plush"/"Creep" respectively, they too would've been forgotten about.