Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Cure's Greatest Hits on DVD

Old 10-12-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Cure's Greatest Hits on DVD

I would hardly call these The Cure's greatest hits, but that's what Elektra is doing:

http://webobjects.elektra.com/cgi-bi...77&Page=Artist

Greatest Hits will be available December 4 on DVD and VHS as well, with all the 18 videos plus footage of six of the new acoustic performances.

Boys Don't Cry
A Forest
Let's Go To Bed
The Walk
The Lovecats
Inbetween Days
Close To Me
Why Can't I Be You
Just Like Heaven
Lullaby
Lovesong
Never Enough
High
Friday I'm In Love
Mint Car
Wrong Number
Cut Here
Just Say Yes
Old 10-12-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What, no "Fascination Street," "Hot Hot Hot," or "Catch?" They have more videos than this, so why don't they include them? Wonder which version of "Close To Me" will be on this.

And, personally, I don't think that they've had a "hit" (in the popular meaning of the word) since "Friday I'm in Love."

I wish they'd put "In Orange" and "Show" on DVD, but this is good enough for now.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 10-12-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No "Caterpillar?"

Curses. BUt I'll probably get it anyway.
Old 10-12-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if anybody's on the fence about this CD, don't bother...

pick up "singles" and "galore" instead....

the DVD on the other hand, sounds like it might be worth a purchase depending on price point...
Old 10-12-01, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This "best of" seems like it ignores too much in favor of a spotty balance between old and new. Staring listed below offers a better coverage of earlier music.

Staring at the Sea
http://webobjects.elektra.com/cgi-bi...77&Page=Artist

They should have picked up where this left off, concentrating solely on newer music so they don't have to represent an entire CD/LP with 1-2 songs.

-Beebs
Old 10-12-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"Wrong Number" over "Fascination Street"... bah.

Last edited by Adboy151; 10-12-01 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-12-01, 03:42 PM

i believe that the cure is putting out this greatest hits to fullfill there contract which they want to get out of. They said that there will be an extra cd released with the new gretest hits cd. it will be acustic versions of the greatest hits or at least some of them. i'M guessing that after there contract is up..which should be with the release of this cd/dvd..the cure will start releasing there own cd's and dvds via there website..i do agree that i would just rather get galore and the singles.
Old 10-12-01, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Facination Street is a pretty glaring omission, but still, I love the bulk of those songs and will probably pick up this DVD. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-12-01, 09:21 PM

This would also be the first The Cure DVD ever, isn't it? I mean, "Galore" and "Orange" exist on VCD, but no DVD...
Old 10-13-01, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by adboy151
"Wrong Number" over "Fascination Street"... bah.
While Fascination Street is a great song, my favorite Cure song is Wrong Number FWIW.
Old 10-13-01, 05:34 PM

Personally, I'm partial to "From the edge of the deep green sea" and "Burn"...
Old 10-15-01, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder why this thread was moved. It is a collection of videos, not a DVD-Audio disc. I'm certainly looking forward to it. The CD should be worth picking up as well, at least the 2-disc version, which includes a disc of newly recorded acoustic performances of the 18 songs on the other disc.

For the DVD, though, I would have rather had a release of Staring at the Sea, along with an updated version of Galore, including the new videos. Beggars can't be choosers, though. I'm still happy.
Old 10-15-01, 08:20 PM

i'll probably get this as well despite still wanting the "Staring At the Sea collection" on DVD.

It took me forever to find Staring at the Sea on laserdisc on E-Bay so it's not someting I desperately want to see but it would be nice. Also the new song "cut here" on the CD is pretty good. Is there a video on the DVD??

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/allukmusic
Old 11-07-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread belongs in DVD Talk, not here, but anyway:

It's up for preorder $18.73 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...927913-6111318

I just created a Share the Love listing for it too.
Old 11-08-01, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I look forward to this greatly.

Big time cure fan. when will robert smith stop saying that they will break up soon.

Old 11-08-01, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kunert, I agree with you that this belongs in DVD Talk as well. When I posted a thread in that forum about anthor music/concert DVD, it was quickly moved by the moderators. Not too many people look at this group and won't see these posts.
Old 11-08-01, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hear you, Daytripper. I've never been in this forum before, until I tried to find this old thread.

I tried to plead our case to the moderator yesterday when I posted, but this thread hasn't moved. I guess concert DVDs, video compilation DVDs now belong only in this (inaccurately named) forum.

I may post the info in the DVD talk forum and see how long it lasts, because I sure would like someone to "share the love" with me soon.
Old 11-08-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree. DVD talk is DVD talk. Regardless if it's about "Shrek" or "The Cure's Greatest Hits" (on DVD). I'm mean, they're not narrowing it down to movie genre groups. Like "DVD Talk Sci-Fi", "DVD Talk Horror". I'm confused.
Old 12-01-01, 12:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Current thinking on what goes where - apropos of music-related DVDs - was recently explained by randyc and Blade in a Feedback thread: link

Bumped also for dupe thread.