Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Need help on my car stereo!

Old 10-12-01, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Need help on my car stereo!

I have a 99 honda accord and recently my factory single cd player has been acting strange. i first noticed it when i tried to play a CDR that i had burned. I have played them on it before with no problem. I could not find the tracks, I could here the mechanics try to search the beginning of the track to no avail. Since then it occasionally does it with my other CDs. mainly when I try to skip a song. Once it finds it it will play fine and I can even fast forward as long as I don't skip. For the most part it works fine but not on CDrs. What should I do?
Old 10-12-01, 10:21 AM

Is the car still under warranty? I would just go in and show a tech the problem and tell them to order you a new Cd player. If not, first I would try to confirm that those CDRs work on other players. If it seems to be specific to yours I would just go out and buy a new deck. It is not worth spending the money to try to fix it when you can buy and Eclipse CD player for less than $300.
Old 10-12-01, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your car should still be under warranty, but on the off chance it's not, do not buy a new deck from the factory. You can buy one aftermarket that's much better and cheaper -- and Honda's really good about using standard size radios in their cars.

Another thing you could do, is check with local stereo shops or the local best buy, circuit city, etc. The Accord is a common car, and it is one that gets upgraded often as well. I'm sure any shop should see more than it's fair share of Accords, and the factory decks that get ripped out when a new stereo is installed are worth almost nothing. When I worked at a car audio shop, almost no one asked for the factory units back -- we'd sell them in pristine condition for about $20.
Old 10-16-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by einTier
Your car should still be under warranty, but on the off chance it's not, do not buy a new deck from the factory.When I worked at a car audio shop, almost no one asked for the factory units back -- we'd sell them in pristine condition for about $20.
no its not under warranty but that brings up another point. i am considering getting an extended warranty i could get one for four years bumper to bumper for about a thousand. worth it? it should cover the cd player too shouldnt it.

also how do i get one of those factory units, just ask them if they will sell it to me? that would be a great alternative.

thanks for all the help.
Old 10-16-01, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tanman

no its not under warranty but that brings up another point. i am considering getting an extended warranty i could get one for four years bumper to bumper for about a thousand. worth it? it should cover the cd player too shouldnt it.

also how do i get one of those factory units, just ask them if they will sell it to me? that would be a great alternative.

thanks for all the help.
Extended warranties usually aren't worth the money. It may or may not cover the CD player, especially since it's pre-existing. You'd have to ask.

Personally, if you just want a new factory deck, check out the stereo shops like I said. Just call around and tell them you're looking for a factory Honda CD player and you're wondering if they might have a used one. They might not have one around, but ask them to call you if they get one. One will turn up before long, and usually the customer doesn't want it, and they are really hard for the stereo stores to turn over.