Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

If you could turn everyone on to ONE band, who would it be?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

If you could turn everyone on to ONE band, who would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Meatpants

Thanks for the tip, I'm enjoying 100 Broken Windows.
Wow - I'm shocked and taken aback.

I post in the "Other" forum and get ignored for days. Here I post one tiny one-liner recommending Idlewild and people actually listened.

Thanks guys. You've restored my faith in DVDTalk.

Old 10-11-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My brother wants to say Weezer.
Old 10-11-01, 09:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Witness UK - "Under The Sun" and their debut album "Before the Calm". Highly recommended

JJ72 - more Smashing Pumpkins meets the Pixies. Has any one seen them live - oh..my..gawd! Saw them at Reading 2000 was completely blown away. They ended their set by completely trashing their equipment.

Last edited by Giles; 10-11-01 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-11-01, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Old 10-12-01, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Laughing Colors and Kelly Bell Band. Both local bands in MD, but both are extremely talented.

-Steve
Old 10-12-01, 12:41 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Duran Duran they rock !
Old 10-12-01, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The White Stripes
--absolutely the rawest studio albums (and live show) you'll ever hear by twentysomethings Jack and Meg White.
1. The White Stripes
2. De Stijl
3. White Blood Cells

Grunter - Yes Idlewild is awesome.

Giles - Witness is one of my absolute favorite bands.
"Before the Calm" is incredible, dreary, i love it.
I'm still getting used to "Under a Sun".
Old 10-12-01, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Belle and Sebastian is probably up there in my favorites that I believe a lot could enjoy.
Old 10-12-01, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Alyoshka
Belle and Sebastian is probably up there in my favorites that I believe a lot could enjoy.
The "...Sinister" album has been on my to-buy list for a long time. I need more disposable income, damnit!
Old 10-12-01, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Phish
Psychedelic Breakfast
Old 10-12-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by grunter

I post in the "Other" forum and get ignored for days. Here I post one tiny one-liner recommending Idlewild and people actually listened.

grunter, you're not the only one who gets ignored in "other". I do read your posts though, and I do recognise your name when I see it.
Old 10-12-01, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
The White Stripes
Hell yes, just the range covered from their first album to third is amazing, something for everyone (I still love the first one the best). And live, they're all sorts of craziness.

As for me, I think only one person I've exposed to Ween has actually gotten into them. They may be off-putting initially, but the more you hear, the better they get.
Old 10-12-01, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by einTier

grunter, you're not the only one who gets ignored in "other". I do read your posts though, and I do recognise your name when I see it.
einTier - I'm flattered. Thanks so much. I'll keep my eye out for you in the "other" too. So often it feels like I'm posting in a vacuum over there.
Old 10-13-01, 12:33 PM

Agents of Good Roots
Old 10-13-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by grunter

einTier - I'm flattered. Thanks so much. I'll keep my eye out for you in the "other" too. So often it feels like I'm posting in a vacuum over there.
Are you saying it all is suck?

Grunter, I think a lot of people know about you (and eintier). I know stuff about both of you.

I think it's more that so many people are posting, sometimes so quickly, that two things occur. One, we miss the deeper signifigant conversations, it can be more like chatter at a cocktail party. But faster. Maybe a cocktail party where all the attendees are hamsters on crack.

Secondly, with so many people, it's like a cocktail party of crack hamsters in a stadium. So many people...

To really be noticed, you need something that stands out. An icon, graphic, or some sort of bizarre sexual festish that nobody will forget.

My band: Venice. I like harder rock normally, but these guys are incredible, specially live. The sound is like Eagles and CSNY. In fact, David Crosby calls them the best vocal band in the USA. It's too bad not many people know about them.
http://www.venicecentral.com/
Old 10-14-01, 12:42 PM

I say Full Devil Jacket.

I love that band. They only have one full CD out now and an 5 song EP ( 3 of those songs are on the full CD).

They sound like STP, Creed and throw in a little Disturbed for good measure. The vocals are really diverse and good lyrics as well.

I saw them twice as openers for STP and Creed. I also got to meet them after their set at Creed while Collective Soul was playing. They are really nice guys.

Theyre working on a new CD now and I cant wait.

www.fulldeviljacket.com for more info. Site needs updating though.
Old 10-14-01, 09:50 PM
Cool New Member

I got a couple that might not be in the average person's CD collection:

My Dying Bride - "Turn Loose The Swans" is their best with "Like Gods Of The Sun" a close second.

Godspeed You Black Emperor - This is definitely headphone music. Any of their CDs will do.

Avrigus - They only have one full length "The Secret Kingdom" and one ep "The Final Wish". Get the full length since it contains 3 out of the 4 songs on the ep.

Within Tears - "Moments Of Life.. Chapter 1" Definitely different.
Old 10-15-01, 08:05 PM

I'll say Placebo as not only would they be my 1st pick but others have already posted idlewild and JJ72. coincidentally, Mark Greany(sp?) of JJ72's voice has been compared to Brian Molko of Placebo. Placebo and JJ72 also share comparisons to Joy Division (Smashing Pumpkins??) in their sound.

Probably the only interesting rock bands for me right now. Of course the new Suede, Pulp and Gene CD's are coming out soon.

Innovation is not dead, it's just not being played on L.A. "alternative" stations (KROQ)anymore.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/allukmusic

Last edited by whomod; 10-15-01 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-16-01, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not that I'm an aging hippy but I wish a younger generation of A1 and Britney type fans would listen to some Bob Dylan once in a while. There is such a depth to the mans work that has transended fad. My obscure choice would be Eddi Reader, ex Fairground Attraction. Great female artist. And David Gray.
Old 10-16-01, 03:22 PM

That would suck if everyone got turned onto people I like, cause then there would be a buch of wankers singing and boppin to good music and that would suck to know people you despise have the same interests as you. OK check this out then. Look back to your youth (or present) and imagine a great band or R&B album you like to get your swerve on to. Now picture everyone liking this and picture your mom playing that album and getting her swerve on to it. Worse still, picture a sicko stalker, creeping up on his next victim while listening to your favorite band in his walkmen.............oh damn I lost it..............................................................................um .........................................................um............................ Oh.............................. that's it. OOOOOUUUUUTTT!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yikes.

Uh, nevermind.
Old 10-19-01, 09:55 PM

DRAGON ASH

anyone heard of these guys?

they rizzock!
Old 10-19-01, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by saoirse
Worse still, picture a sicko stalker, creeping up on his next victim while listening to your favorite band in his walkmen.............oh damn I lost it..............................................................................um .........................................................um............................ Oh.............................. that's it. OOOOOUUUUUTTT!!!!!
Been there, done that. The psycho who killed the actress Rebecca Schaefer loved to listen to the song "Exit," from The Joshua Tree by U2 (my favorite band).
Old 10-20-01, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by LupinIV
DRAGON ASH

anyone heard of these guys?

they rizzock!
I've heard of Dragon Ash.

Every time i'm on an mp3 search engine looking for Ash songs, I get a ton of their stuff.
Old 10-20-01, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

UK band called Music for Pleasure from the early eighties although their sound was not really "of that time" being edgy in a sort of more pop version of Joy Division with a touch of The Chameleons thrown in as a lot of their stuff was epic, widescreen listening. Unfortunately they faded away before the advent of CD so the only way to get their stuff is on vinyl which is kind of fun as it’s more of an adventure trying to track various releases down . I have all but for a couple of seven inches and can highly recommend such releases as Blacklands, Chrome Hit Corrosion, Light, Fuel to the Fire along with their debut eponymous (and only full length album) and their awesome power pop single Time which came free with an excellent solid enamelled button/badge which I still have to this day, almost twenty years later.

If you see any of their seven or twelve inch’s - buy them you won’t be disappointed. I guess CD only people will miss out though and that’s unfortunate as this band deserves to be known and respected.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.