Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there any EWFs/Toriphiles here?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-01, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the Orlando show last night and all I can say is WOW it was so amazing

anyway, I was just curious if anyone would like to start up a Tori-related conversation
Old 10-01-01, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Guilty as charged.

I've been a fan since the start- I just happened to see the Silent All These Years video one night on MTV (remember when they played videos all the way through without screaming teens interupting every 30 seconds to say how they're the biggest fan of that artist?) and bought Little Earthquakes the next day. Since then I've gotten every single and album I could find (still missing Crucify LE and Cornflake Girl LE). I've seen her twice live during the tours for UtP and BfP- both great shows.

Do you frequent The Dent (www.thedent.com)? I used to post in those forums quite a bit a few years ago but stopped when I found I couldn't keep up with the number of posts made per day. I still lurk there from time to time though.
Old 10-01-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw her live after she released "In The Pink" but I must have seen her on an off night or something because she sucked rocks. I like most of her music though and I have a few albums of hers.
Old 10-01-01, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

cool!!

A friend played BfP for me (right after a big break-up) and I was hooked
I do miss the old days when MTV wasn't filled with the screaming teens- I got MTV2 at my old school and they actually played some of her videos, including The Big Picture
I'm missing pretty much all of the really rare stuff- whenever I finish school and I have money I will start searching ebay- I don't let myself look now
last night was my 4th show and the 1st time without the band
I love the dent, actually- Mikewhy was just a couple rows in front of me last night) but I've never posted on the forums- I do lurk every once in awhile

do you have a fav song?, album?, video?
I have a hard time with questions like that- but I had to ask- mine always change- I've been singing I don't like Mondays all day today

Last edited by hotaru_san; 10-01-01 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-01-01, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by palebluedot
I saw her live after she released "In The Pink" but I must have seen her on an off night or something because she sucked rocks. I like most of her music though and I have a few albums of hers.
it's actually Under the Pink
I can't imagine her doing a bad show- but I didn't know anything about her at that point so it's certainly possible
which albums do you have?
Old 10-01-01, 05:15 PM

funny enough, my favorite album/song/video is still the first I heard/saw: Silent All These Years and Little Earthquakes. I also love the b-sides from this album, like Flying Dutchman and Upside Down. For albums, my next favorite is ftcgh followed by BfP. All the others are too close to call after that. I Don't Like Mondays is the favorite so far off of SLG.

I'm still waiting for the Complete Video Collection to come out on DVD so I can replace my VHS copy, how about you? (I actually had the DVD preordered on-line last year until it was delayed (canceled?))
Old 10-01-01, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Little Earthquakes is usually my favorite album and Winter has usually been my favorite song other than that it's mostly based on my mood (as far as albums go) but I agree that the bee-sides from Earthquakes are great, I can never make my mind up about a favorite video- but she is so cute in the video for SATY- I love it when she looks up at the "don't look up part" she did that at the concert last night, too
Mondays and Rattlesnakes are probably my favorites on SLG right now
I'm looking forward to buying the Complete Video Collection, too
it would be nice if they would add the SLG video to it since they've delayed it for so long but we're probably not that lucky- I hope it really does come out next month
are you going to a show on this tour?
Old 10-02-01, 10:11 AM

I won't be able to make it to a show this tour because of time, money and distance. Chicago would be the closest place for me to see her, but that show's already sold out and it was on a week-night anyway which would've been hard for me to make. Oh well- I don't go to many concerts to begin with, so I'm glad of the two shows I did see.

I too would love to have the video collection to be up to date when (if?) it comes out. Also, it'd be great to have the other videos, Little Earthquakes (a video with early live performances) and Tori's Live in NYC, on DVD too.
Old 10-02-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree about the videos- I have both of those on vhs- but it would be great to be able to get them on DVD
that's too bad about the concert- but you've seen 2, so that's good, and that was without the band, not that I have a problem with the band- it's just not the same with them -so it was important for me to see her this time around so I could see her perform by herself (solo Siren )
What I don't understand is how people can afford to go to a lot of shows- I over-heard some of the people behind me talking about it and some of them were going to all the shows- if I could I would like to go to several- but all? how is that even possible?
Old 10-06-01, 02:48 AM

I've been a fan since "Choirgirl", which I love immediately. Loved the "To Venus..." record (though took a few listens to get into it) and really love the new one. I have the "Under the Pink", but for some reason I just can't get into it...except for the Cornflake Girl song.

I'd say that Choirgirl is my favourite, with maybe Raspberry Swirl or Playboy Mommy being my favourites on that album. From Venus, I'd say Glory of the 80's. On the new one, I like Bonnie & Clyde, Enjoy the Silence, and The Real Men.

J
Old 10-06-01, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hey jjamesc, good to see you,

Under the Pink took me the longest- but once I got around to it I loved it
it took me a couple listens to like Venus- I think Lust and Spring Haze are my favorites there
as for SLG- I've been listening to Rattlesnakes a lot since I heard it live and Real Men is great

jjamesc, let me know when you get around to finding some of the Y Kant Tori Read stuff- I'd like to see your reaction don't expect a lot from it- I think it's cute- but it's certainly funny
have you listened to Boys for Pele or Little Earthquakes?

that other tori forum kinda scares me- they always seem to be mad at someone and it's too big to keep up with- that's why I was hoping this one would hold up
Old 10-06-01, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm starting a PR campaign...
Old 10-06-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tori rules on so many levels.

My sister went to the Orlando concert and the Clearwater concert with a couple of friends. I was so jealous I could scream.
Old 10-07-01, 07:48 PM

Haven't forgotten about you hotaru.

I downloaded the Y Kant Tori Read songs, but haven't had a chance to give it much of a listen. I've heard the Etienne song and another one. I guess it's about what I expected them to be. I've heard and read enough about them to know that I wasn't in for typical Tori stuff.

I'll listen to the rest of the songs and let you know my over all impression.

J
Old 10-08-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tscott
Guilty as charged.

I've been a fan since the start- I just happened to see the Silent All These Years video one night on MTV (remember when they played videos all the way through without screaming teens interupting every 30 seconds to say how they're the biggest fan of that artist?) and bought Little Earthquakes the next day.
This sounds a lot like my story. I too saw her video on 120 minutes and bought the CD shortly thereafter. I've seen her in concert six times:

Houston, Texas -- Little Earthquakes tour
Houston, Texas -- Under the Pink tour
Houston, Texas -- Boys for Pele tour
College Station, Texas -- Boys for Pele tour
Austin, Texas -- Choirgirl Hotel tour
Austin, Texas -- Venus and Back tour
(upcoming)
Austin, Texas -- Strange Little Girls tour

I've also met her at the first concert I attended (she used to come out and spend a lot of time with the fans) and the Austin Choirgirl Hotel tour.

I'm actually kind of glad interest in her has waned a bit, now I get to see her do concerts in concert halls again -- not ampitheatres.
Old 10-08-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah!! people like tori

Wildcat- are you in FL? the Orlando show was the only one I got to go to...

jjamesc- I didn't think you'd forgotten about me, Y Kant Tori Read is some odd stuff- I like it but it takes some getting used to

einTier- the Strange Little Tour is so great! I'm sure you'll love it, I'm impressed- you've been a fan for a long time, that's so cool- I didn't catch on until I had BfP shoved at me

I want to stimulate conversation but I don't want to be cheesy- feel free to call me names or make suggestions

I was thinking that we could post some of our favorite tori lyrics or quotes...
my brain is kinda fried (I had a HUGE test today) but I'll give it a go-

"butterflies don't belong in nets" -Mary
"she could outrun the fastest slug" -Marianne
SLT in Orlando she was singing Talula and this came out "she said one plus one is three, (stops) no, (starts right the line) she said one plus one is three (stops again) I have accounts but I know what f#cking Anne Bolyn said..." I'm sure that's not excatly right- but I can't listen to that part without laughing now

that's about all the thinking I can do right now- if you think this is a good idea or if you have any better ideas- I don't know if anyone else wants to have much of a conversation or not- whatever- either way, I'm flexible
Old 10-08-01, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some favorite lyrics:

"Butterfly, is it right, they like you better framed and dried?" -- Butterfly

"I've cried 1000 oceans, and I would cry 1000 more if that's what it takes to sail you home" -- 1000 oceans

Absolute favorite, words to live by, lyric:

"I've found the secret to life -- I'm OK when everything is not OK." -- Upside Down
Old 10-09-01, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hotaru_san
Wildcat- are you in FL? the Orlando show was the only one I got to go to...
I live up in Syracuse (check over <---- there) .... but my sister goes to Florida State (and my parents live in Miami).... My sister, her roommate, and her roommate's boyfriend spent the weekend following Tori, and went to the two shows (lucky).

Unfortunately, the closest she's coming to here is Toronto, which is 3 and a half hours away.
Old 10-11-01, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wildcat- that sucks- we were lucky in Florida

einTier- that Upside Down quote is one of my favs, too

I have a few more:
"is your place in heaven worth giving up these kisses?"- Cooling
"an angel's face is tricky to wear constantly"- Purple People
"you're not a helicoptor, you're not a cop out either"- Black Dove January
Old 10-13-01, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Tori rules on so many levels.
I most definitely agree. Big Tori fan here.
Old 10-14-01, 09:52 PM

OK I still haven't listened to YKTR yet, but I just wanted to let you know to be on the look out for the B-Sides to the Strange Little Girl single. They are: David Bowie's "After All" and Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed".

So far I've only been able to find "After All" and it's pretty cool. Still looking for "Only Women Bleed". I don't think the single is officially out yet, though.

J
Old 10-23-01, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jjamesc
OK I still haven't listened to YKTR yet, but I just wanted to let you know to be on the look out for the B-Sides to the Strange Little Girl single. They are: David Bowie's "After All" and Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed".

So far I've only been able to find "After All" and it's pretty cool. Still looking for "Only Women Bleed". I don't think the single is officially out yet, though.

J

cool, thanks jjamesc

Has anyone seen the Lyrics book?
I don't have it yet, hopefully I'll get it this weekend
Old 10-24-01, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by hotaru_san

cool, thanks jjamesc

Has anyone seen the Lyrics book?
I don't have it yet, hopefully I'll get it this weekend
Yeah, I thumbed through it at the Virgin Megastore in Orlando, debated about buying it, and ultimately didn't. I just really wasn't impressed with it, nor did I find it indespensible -- especially not for $40 hardcover.

I didn't care much for the art in the book, I could write a really scathing review of it, but that's not why you'd buy the book anyway, so let's just say that it wasn't my taste and leave it at that.

Now, what you'd buy it for -- the lyrics. It was nice for once to be able to cross-reference a few things and check on a few lyrics that I'd still been unable to dicipher, but that took me all of about ten minutes with the book. And then... I was left with the book and all the lyrics I already know. Truth be told, most of her songs are documented somewhere by Tori herself, usually in the liner notes on the CDs. Also, don't expect to find any of the really rare stuff in here, like Baltimore or Distant Storm. When I add those two things together, I get something that would be nice to have, but would likely just sit on my shelf as an occasional reference to lyrics I can't completely remember. Seeing as how it's too big to carry in the car, much less reference there, and that's where I do most of my Tori listening, in the end I couldn't justify the purchase to myself.

I know that's not the Toriphile/EWF thing to do, but if I bought every piece of Tori memorabilia I found interesting, I'd be extremely broke by now (spend a day with the collectables book and ebay and you'll see what I mean). Hopefully, someone will buy it for me for my birthday coming up and I won't have to debate about spending the $$ for it. I'd love to have it, I just can't justify the cost.
Old 10-31-01, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tori news:
According to an article in the LA Times, it is likely that Tori will sign with Epic Records. Her contract with Atlantic has expired with the release of SLG, which could be a reason why she did not release an album of new music. This means that we will likely see a new Tori album sometime in the future.
It also means that Atlantic might decide to rerelease Y Kan't Tori Read.

The article is posted athttp://thedent.com/latimes102801.html
Which is available through http://thedent.com