Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Copy protective CD's.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Copy protective CD's.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-01, 07:30 PM
X
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts
Oh good! Looks like I'm going to get some more use out of my DAT deck with SCMS remover box. I'll just feed the DAT copy into the computer and still end up with a perfect digital copy. So we just went back a few years...

Wait a minute, you can skip the DAT layer. All you have to do is feed an optical/coaxial digital signal from a CD player into your computer's digital in. Assuming you have both of those.
Old 10-23-01, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i read somewhere that they released some copy protected discs in czech and slovak republics secretly to test them out, you see if they blow anyones speakers from copying, kinda thing, anyone know what cd's they are since im in the czech republic now?
Old 11-21-01, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, which CDs are supposed to be copy-protected?

Last night, my wife bought the new Creed CD. I tried to stop her, of course, but she bought it with her money, and my crusade against the RIAA matters not to her.

So anyway... last night I look at it in the car, and I notice that no where on the CD, case, or insert is the CD-ROM logo present. So, I thought, they broke the standard, and can't put the logo on the CD. Thoughts of returning this CD over and over and over again danced through my head.

So, I put it in the computer today, and it plays. OK, so I decide to rip it. Ripped fine, and I'm listening to the mp3s now. So, I guess it's not copy protected. Nothing I've picked up lately has been either. So, did the record companies just give up on copy protection?
Old 11-21-01, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this album supposed to be protected? I think I read that some CD's would be randomly protected from copying.
Old 11-27-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, since the media industry can't prevail because we can still physically make backup copies, they have decided to go on the tried-and-true legislative front. We all know how effective lobbyist, campaign contribution, and "honorarium" money is in getting the attention of legislators.

Another sequel to the DMCA is the SSSCA. It is a bill under proposal now and may have a chance of passing as it could have a lot of support from law enforcement as well as indirectly through the Patriot Act. It's a fairly synergistic bill.

What is the SSSCA?

How the SSSCA physically affects my PC and copying
Old 11-27-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by X
Oh good! Looks like I'm going to get some more use out of my DAT deck with SCMS remover box. I'll just feed the DAT copy into the computer and still end up with a perfect digital copy. So we just went back a few years...

Wait a minute, you can skip the DAT layer. All you have to do is feed an optical/coaxial digital signal from a CD player into your computer's digital in. Assuming you have both of those.
Got my PCM-M1 handy...

No SCMS for me!

-k
###