Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

15 Minutes

Old 03-09-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to try and keep multiple threads on the same film to a minimum, so I closed the previous thread discussing this film and now that it has opened in America, let us continue the discussion here.

I just got back from 15 Minutes and found it riveting. While it did seem to run a bit long at times, it's definitely worth it as it really gets good at the end. It takes quite a while to set up, but, boy oh boy, is the ending top-notch.

I'll post here again once I've done a full review for my site.

=Blake=
|

Old 03-09-01, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe I'll have to see it now. I have heard that the ending was a let down.
Old 03-10-01, 01:57 AM

See, I've heard mixed reviews ranging from mostly good to bomb. I went and saw it tonight and it really delivered for me including the ending. I think the ending was perfect and intentional and not the result of test audience feedback. I had read complaints about the pacing of the film, but I found it very natural and appropriate.

I recommend that everyone with the slightest interst should give it a chance and not avoid it based on negative reviews.
Old 03-10-01, 02:02 AM

Odd that this movie is getting either very good reviews or very bad reviews. Very little middle ground here.
Old 03-10-01, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought this movie was horrible. They should have retitled it "Cliche".

First cliche, cop whose mentoring his new partner.
2nd cliche,
Spoiler:
The villain who likes to explain everything he's going to do.

3rd cliche
Spoiler:
The courthouse steps ending sequence, how many times do we need someone shot on the courthouse steps or before/after a court appearance ie: Shaft, New Jack City, Eraser.

4th cliche
Spoiler:
The reporter who gets punched in the face at the end of the movie, ie: Die Hard

What was most disturbing about this film was the depiction of women.
Old 03-10-01, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by reptile590
I thought this movie was horrible. They should have retitled it "Cliche".

First cliche, cop whose mentoring his new partner.
2nd cliche,
Spoiler:
The villain who likes to explain everything he's going to do.

3rd cliche
Spoiler:
The courthouse steps ending sequence, how many times do we need someone shot on the courthouse steps or before/after a court appearance ie: Shaft, New Jack City, Eraser.

4th cliche
Spoiler:
The reporter who gets punched in the face at the end of the movie, ie: Die Hard

What was most disturbing about this film was the depiction of women.
My sentiments exactly. Cliche, Cliche..cliche. Right from the opening with the cop who
Spoiler:
drinks too much and has to do something drastic like stick his head in ice water to sober up

I too thought the ending was stupid. Just stupid. I did like some of the early stuff, where Deniro and Burns are looking for clues together...but after that it was all downhill.
Old 03-10-01, 01:04 PM

First signal the movie was bad: Ed Burns was in it.

'nuff said.

JoeC
Old 03-10-01, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Forgot another cliche,
Spoiler:
The drastic, scramble for the gun scene

and,
Spoiler:
The whole, talking into the mirror thing practicing how to ask a girl to marry you. Deniro doing it, ain't bad, but this is just another unneeded cliche'd moment in this film

The more I think about it, I don't think there was an original plot point in this whole film. This movie insulted my intelligence and it sucked. Shame on Deniro for doing this movie. Maybe he saw the script and said
Spoiler:
Hey, kill me in the first half of this film, I want out as soon as possible
Old 03-10-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Forgot another cliche........
There are very few movies you are going to see that don't have cliches in them. If you hate cliches so much, I'd just advice you don't go to the movies - or better yet, make a totally original movie yourself - see how hard it really is. Sure the movie had stereotypes and cliches, but it was action packed throughout and really did include a commentary on humans today. Really, we'd all like to believe that the media wouldn't show killings on TV, but you just can't think that they wouldn't stoop that low. I saw more blood and violence as CNN televised the Columbine shootings - Tim McVeigh wants his execution televised - it won't be long before we see what we saw in 15 Minutes.

Just because a film contains cliches doesn't make it bad. It's a shame you couldn't see past them because I thought this was really a good movie. I guess it's a love it or hate it kind of movie.
Old 03-10-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's really hard to make a totally original movie nowadays. Whether or not you realize it, a mannerism or plot point probably has been used before. That's not to justify hackneyed, totally unoriginal movies, which 15 Minutes was not.

When I saw the "talking into the mirror" scene in the trailer, I was scared it would be a inferior rip off a similar scene in Taxi Driver. But then it came and passed, and I thought while not exactly great, it wasn't the disaster I expected it to be.

True, the pacing of the movie faltered near the end, but I liked the ending, even though some might call it a cop-out. I loved how
Spoiler:
Ed Burns' life is for the most part f*cked, and he doesn't really care.

Some may hate the movie, but I liked it. It was an insightful into our media mentality. Some may see it and wonder if a news program would actually air such footage. But the real question is would we watch it? We are fascinated with death, and while we may say to ourselves we would never stoop so low to profit from another person's death, or to watch it for entertainment, but is that true? Even the woman who wanted to cut the violence on the show down peeked at the tape. Can we all be sure we wouldn't do the same?
Old 03-10-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got done reading James Berardinelli's review and the first paragraph seems fitting for the discussion here:
Thematically, John Herzfeld's Fifteen Minutes has nothing new to offer. Its various elements of social commentary - about the power of the media; the country's love of violent, lurid, "real-life" TV fare; and the cult of stardom - have all been tackled before. Network, To Die For, and Man Bites Dog are only a few of the titles to have preceded Fifteen Minutes down this path. Yet, despite its occasional lapses, the movie still works - primarily because it has the audacity to do the unexpected. Some of the concepts may be recycled, but there's something fresh and ambitious about the way they are presented. Best of all, Fifteen Minutes manages to develop some genuine tension, especially during the closing sequence, by which time we're convinced that anything can happen.
http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/f/fifteen_minutes.html
Old 03-10-01, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know there are cliches in most movies and I expect them, but this movie had practically ALL OF THEM!.

This movie just didn't work for me. I'm not bashing other people's opinions on this film. I am just presenting my view. I thought it was totally unoriginal and the only bright spot was Bobby Deniro's performance.

The ending was totally hackneyed. I mean the way the film was going it felt like such a turnaround ending.
Spoiler:
To satisfy the audience by killing both of the criminals. If the film wanted to be shocking, the criminals should have gotten away with it, like they often do in real life.
This movie shot it's wad in the beginning and then began to falter at the end.
Old 03-10-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just saw this today. I really liked it. So it had some cliches, big deal. Show me a movie that doesn't. I hardly noticed them since I was into the movie so much. If the cliches fit in with, and help the plot, then I don't really care about them. The thing I really loved about the film was the personalities of the villians. They were just so enjoyable to watch. Also, I loved the action squences. These types of things can often be boring since we see them so much in films (like escaping a burning building), but they seemed fresh and exciting in 15 Minutes.
Spoiler:
I just loved the boobie trapped apartment. Now that was an intense scene.
Old 03-10-01, 09:53 PM

I know there are cliches in most movies and I expect them, but this movie had practically ALL OF THEM!
I think you're making some cliches up, man. I think you have it out for this movie and that's fine, but I think your case of cliche paranoia is not warranted.
Old 03-10-01, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Saw it. The film was not great but above average. I thought the ending was a bit hollywood though.
Spoiler:
Ed Burns shot the man and saved the girl who happened to be the squeeze of the late DeNiro's character. The cameras caught it and he will probably become a hero as a result.
Old 03-14-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it last night & have to agree w/ reptile590, this movie was pretty bad. Actually it was an, extremely stupid movie w/ parts I liked. I mean come on, the review Blake posted the movie worked b/c "it had the audicity to do the unexpected". What on earth was unexpected in this movie.
Spoiler:
The fact that Deniro died, you knew one either him or his girlfriend would die the very second he started w/ the proposing bit, why else would they show the romance side of an unlikeable character. Gee, villains obsessed w/ the media making them famous for their crimes, what an original idea. Other things that made this movie so bad, what on earth was the point of the the character of Daphne & Burns character falling for her. And most of all the annoying Ed Burns character, yeah right, I'm all for suspending my disbelief in movies but a suspended fire martial running around w/ a gun unloading an entire chamber into an at the time not convicted criminal.
Also it seemed it was another one of those movies shot in washed colors that drives me nuts & De Niro is my absolute all-time favorite actor but he just slepped through this role & brought nothing to it.

However, I know many liked the movie & there were at least a few things that made the movie bearable to me. 1.) The character of Oleg, great character & a brilliant performance(wasn't the guy that played Oleg in the Ultimate Fighting Championships).
2. Loved the scene in the booby trapped apartment
3. Liked the fact it was actually shot in New York.
Old 03-14-01, 12:25 PM

Whatever. There may be real problems with the film, but I don't see them being discussed here. I see inventiveness in coming up with cliches, regurgitation of reviews that didn't like the ending, and attacks on performances that couldn't be further from the truth. I guess within the context of this thread, many of your thoughts on the movie are cliches.
Old 03-14-01, 12:26 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts
The ending ruined it for me. It was great until the last 10 minutes. Forget cliche, it just wasn't realistic.

Spoiler:
There's no way Ed Burn's character would get away with killing the bad guy. First of all, he had threatened the bad guy at gunpoint earlier on - why would the 30 or so cops present even allow him near the bad guy? Second, he shot the bad guy after the officer in charge at the scene had explicitly ordered him to drop his gun. Ed Burns was already on suspension, he would certainly lose his job and probably face criminal prosecution (and a civil suit against him and the city would be a sure thing if any of the bad guy's relatives ever found out about it). Lastly, the punching out of Kelsey Grammer's news guy was not just completely superfluous, it also would have resulted in criminal prosecution.

A very good movie with a very bad ending.
Old 03-14-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I mentioned this before, but:

Spoiler:
Ed Burns doesn't really care about what happens to him anymore, he just wants to see the killers brought to justice. Think about it. You just got suspended from your job, pending a hearing, and the criminals who killed a friend of yours are going to buy their way out of the system and become millionaires. That's added to the stress of what just transpired over the past few days. I can sincerely believe that Ed Burns would lash out that way.
Old 03-15-01, 07:47 AM
Enormous Genitals

I agree with the character's motiviation, Rollo, but
Spoiler:
I still don't think the cops would have let him within 100 feet of the bad guy after he had previously theatened him. Once Burns starts to verbally confront the bad guy, the cops would have been all over him, preventing him from posing a physical threat to the bad guy.
Old 03-16-01, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Bandoman
The ending ruined it for me. It was great until the last 10 minutes. Forget cliche, it just wasn't realistic.
I really enjoyed this movie but I gotta say it's the most cynical film i've seen in awhile. Since this film baths in cynicism and social commentary, it has the license to leave reality for the purpose of conveying its message. Just like a lot of sci-fi films- except sci-fi tends to hide its social commentary in a fantasy structure.

I think people didn't like this movie because of pre-determined expectaions (thanks to New Line's marketing campaign). People going into this movie expecting a straight forward detective action/thriller would obviously get thrown off to left field and be disappointed.

So, for you out there who have yet to see this movie, be prepared to see a biting satire that makes no apologies to the media, the famous, and the viewers who watch them.

-Bright Cucumber
Old 03-19-01, 08:33 AM
Enormous Genitals

A funny review by the Self Made Critic on Brunchiung Shuttlecocks at http://www.brunching.com/selfmade/fifteenminutes.html
Old 03-25-01, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The cliches in this movies were to long to list. i don't know if this one was stated:

Spoiler:
Killing the officer off right before he completed his goal i.e. retirement or the big marriage proposal

Old 03-26-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked 15 minutes a lot....every movie is cliched these days because 'everything' has been done before in one way or another.

Old 03-27-01, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I liked 15 minutes a lot....every movie is cliched these days because 'everything' has been done before in one way or another.

More proof on why movies now a days suck!

There will always be Something new to do in a movie. you can't just recycle the old crap over and over again and expect people to chew it up every time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.