Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

BRATS (2024, W/D: Andrew McCarthy) -- Documentary movie on "The Brat Pack" -- Hulu -- 6/13/24

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

BRATS (2024, W/D: Andrew McCarthy) -- Documentary movie on "The Brat Pack" -- Hulu -- 6/13/24

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,738 Posts

In the 1980s, everybody wanted to be in the Brat Pack. Except them. Director Andrew McCarthy reunites with Demi Moore, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, and more for the original documentary “BRATS” streaming June 13, only on Hulu.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Boondock Saint (05-22-24), VHS? (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts
Re: BRATS (2024, W/D: Andrew McCarthy) -- Documentary movie on "The Brat Pack" -- Hulu -- 6/13/24

If this interests you, here is a good interview (from about a year ago) with Andrew McCarthy.

I'm a little too young to have really felt the Brat Pack movies. I was more of a Weekend at Bernie's guy.
Old 05-22-24, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,406 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Re: BRATS (2024, W/D: Andrew McCarthy) -- Documentary movie on "The Brat Pack" -- Hulu -- 6/13/24

Cool, I was a teen during the Brat Pack era, and saw most of the films, so I'm down for watching this.
Old 05-22-24, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 217 Posts

Anyone of note not participate in it?

Old 05-22-24, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm actually surprised Emilio participated.
I'll definitely catch this day 1
Old 05-22-24, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 741 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Molly, maybe? She wasn't in the current day bits of the trailer.
Old 05-22-24, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,346 Likes on 2,137 Posts

I was a little too young to really care much about the Brat Pack when they were popular but I’ve enjoyed those movies over the years so I’ll check out this documentary.

it doesn’t look like Judd Nelson is participating. Wasn’t he considered a Brat Packer?

I also always put Molly Ringwald, Robert Downey Jr. and Anthony Michael Hall in the Brat Pack but maybe they weren’t considered part of the actual Brat Pack?
Old 05-22-24, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 451 Likes on 329 Posts

I have St. Elmos Fire on Blu-ray and on one of the Interviews with Joel Schumacher he said there wasn't a Brat Pack. All of the actors were given that name because there was a magazine article written about the stars of the movie and the author called him that as he didn't think they deserved their success in their early 20s. I haven't watched that blu-ray in a long time but I remember that story from his interview. I'm sure it'll be a good documentary.
Old 05-22-24, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,129 Likes on 817 Posts

A lot of people in Minnesota and Wisconsin are going to be upset when they start to watch this and realize it is not a documentary about how bratwurst is made.
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
majorjoe23 (05-23-24), tasha99 (05-26-24)
Old 05-23-24, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
it doesn’t look like Judd Nelson is participating. Wasn’t he considered a Brat Packer?

I also always put Molly Ringwald, Robert Downey Jr. and Anthony Michael Hall in the Brat Pack but maybe they weren’t considered part of the actual Brat Pack?
The term was loosely applied (and was coined in a New York magazine cover story), but I consider all of the above to be Brat Packers, although Downey barely squeaks in as far as I'm concerned. But the other three, definitely.

Old 05-23-24, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,202 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
The term was loosely applied (and was coined in a New York magazine cover story), but I consider all of the above to be Brat Packers, although Downey barely squeaks in as far as I'm concerned. But the other three, definitely.
I most definitely consider Downey one. He was in several movies with all the "main ones" considered in that group. He just gets left out now because his career smoked them all.

He was in Tuff Turf, Weird Science, The Pick-Up Artist, Less Than Zero, Johnny Be Good and likely other qualifiers all during that time.
Old 05-23-24, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,063 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I most definitely consider Downey one. He was in several movies with all the "main ones" considered in that group. He just gets left out now because his career smoked them all.

He was in Tuff Turf, Weird Science, The Pick-Up Artist, Less Than Zero, Johnny Be Good and likely other qualifiers all during that time.
No, he gets left out because he wasn't in St. Elmo's Fire or The Breakfast Club.
Old 05-23-24, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,482 Likes on 4,435 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
No, he gets left out because he wasn't in St. Elmo's Fire or The Breakfast Club.
Neither were

Old 05-23-24, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 217 Posts

Surprised Judd Nelson is not in it and that is disappointing. Man he was one of the main ones.

HE ruled in Breakfast Club.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (05-23-24)
Old 05-23-24, 08:11 PM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

Judd Nelson had no interest in revisiting his Brat Pack days for Andrew McCarthy’s upcoming documentary, Brats.

“It seems strange to have that subject matter be something for edited entertainment,” Nelson, 64, exclusively told Us Weekly while attending the Children Uniting Nations 24th Annual Academy Awards Celebration & Viewing Dinner on Sunday, March 10. “Also, like, he’s a nice guy, but I hadn’t seen him in 35 years. And it’s like, I’m not going to [be] like, ‘Hey!’ No, dude.”

McCarthy’s ABC News documentary, which is set to air on Hulu later this year, will address the zeitgeist phrase that altered the careers of Hollywood’s biggest young stars from the 1980s. While Nelson confirmed that there was a “request” for him to join the project, he ultimately “politely declined” the offer.

“I don’t even know who’s in the Brat Pack,” Nelson told Us, noting that being a part of the cultural phenomenon wasn’t exactly a bright spot in his career. “It’s like, why kind of rebirth something that wasn’t necessarily fun? … How can we be experts on something that didn’t ever really exist?”

A play on the nickname the Rat Pack made up of actors from the 1960s, including Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra, the Brat Pack was first coined in a 1985 New York magazine article, that largely described cast members of two major films released that year: The Breakfast Club and St. Elmo’s Fire. Nelson, McCarthy, Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Emilio Estevez, Mare Winningham and Molly Ringwald were all part of the gang, but certain other A-listers were also grouped in as well, such as Timothy Hutton, Tom Cruise, Nicholas Cage and Sean Penn.

While Nelson admitted that those labeled as Brat Pack members were “friends” at the time, their ties were often overstated. “What was so strange is I lived in New York, then I did a movie with people out here [in L.A.],” he explained. “So it’s like, then I’m hanging out with them … then when the movie’s over, I go back to New York. I’m not going to hang [and be like], ‘Hey, let’s go to Hard Rock Cafe.’ It’s weird.”

Nelson added that although the so-called Brat Pack all “got along great” and had “a great time together” while on set — the actor is still close with his Breakfast Club costars, he told Us — they would go their separate ways once the project was over.

And because the moniker garnered so much publicity at the time, Nelson told Us that the young stars were encouraged to “keep away” from each other due to the negative connotation.

“They kind of portrayed my generation of actors as being entitled and irresponsible and unprofessional,” he explained, claiming that the rumors of bad behavior held little truth. “Whereas my experience was everyone was on time. Everyone knows their lines. It’s so weird.”

McCarthy’s documentary will not just feature the Brat Pack themselves, but also journalist David Blum, who coined the term in his New York cover story that initially was meant to serve as a profile on Estevez. In the piece, he described the group as undeserving, uneducated young actors who party and appear in movies together. (Blum shared his regrets about writing the article two years after it was published.)

Over the years, Nelson has been clear in his feelings about Blum. During a 2015 episode of author Bret Easton Ellis’ podcast, he shared that his “gut feeling” was to knock Blum “unconscious” upon meeting him.

“I knew there was a problem right away,” Nelson said of when Blum accompanied him and his friends on a night out. “When this guy’s at dinner, I say to Emilio, ‘Who’s this guy?’ [He said,] ‘Well, he’s a reporter, he’s writing an article on me,’ [I said,] ‘I don’t think he should be here, I don’t like him.’ He’s at the table when I’m saying this.”

He continued, “This guy, just something about him, he had a stink to him, and I think that in retrospect, I would have been better served following my gut feeling and knocking him unconscious. I at least would have felt better about the thing.”

It was Nelson’s standout performance as “criminal” John Bender in The Breakfast Club and his role in St. Elmo’s Fire that shot him to stardom in the 1980s. After the New York magazine article made headlines, most of the Brat Pack weren’t seen together on screen again for decades. The 2000s saw Nelson shifting his focus to TV on programs like Suddenly Susan, CSI, Two and a Half Men, Nikita, Empire and Law & Order: SVU, but none of those appearances featured any other former Brat Packers.

“After that article, not only are we strongly encouraged not to work with each other again — and for the most part we haven’t — but it was insinuated we might not want to be hanging out with these people,” Nelson claimed during his Easton Ellis podcast interview. “And it was like, I didn’t know that good friends are so easy to come by in this world that they should be tossed asunder.”
https://www.usmagazine.com/entertain...k-documentary/
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
Ash Ketchum (06-14-24), JeremyM (05-25-24), Spiderbite (05-23-24)
Old 05-23-24, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,063 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Neither were

Jon Cryer literally says in that clip that he was not in the Brat Pack. And Leah Thompson says she was Brat Pack adjacent.

But whatever. It's all made up. I'm just saying that appearing in Breakfast Club or St Elmo's Fire seems to be the most widely accepted parameters for Brat Pack membership these days.

That said, I went back and read the original New York Magazine article and it specifically lists:

Rob Lowe
Emilio Estevez
Judd Nelson
Tom Cruise
Nicolas Cage
Timothy Hutton
Matt Dillon
Sean Penn

That's it. Even Andrew McCarthy (along with a bunch of others) is specifically mentioned as not being a Brat Packer.
Old 05-24-24, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what the article or movie says, but I have heard Lowe say in interviews that part of that "Pack" was that many of those guys grew up in SoCal and were buddies before they became famous.
Old 05-24-24, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprised Judd Nelson is not in it and that is disappointing. Man he was one of the main ones.

HE ruled in Breakfast Club.
I just watched The Breakfast Club for the umteenth time a few weeks ago. Goddamn I still love that film, I was the perfect age for it when it first came out, that probably helps.

Old 05-24-24, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts

To me St. Elmo's Fire was the quintessential "Brat Pack" film with its yuppies-in-training characters. It's interesting to see how the characters in that movie were always dressed-up like adults in their fedora hats, ties, long overcoats, scarves, collared shirts, dress pants etc. when compared to the more typical teen fashion which predominates those in the 30-40 age group today.

Last edited by orangerunner; 05-24-24 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-24-24, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 985 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
I just watched The Breakfast Club for the umteenth time a few weeks ago. Goddamn I still love that film, I was the perfect age for it when it first came out, that probably helps.
Many years ago I took a film class after the local community college, just for fun, and we watched The Graduate. The instructor, a boomer, said it was the defining movie of her generation. The class was mostly millennials, so she asked if there was a defining movie for that generation as well, and people threw out a few titles but no one really has an answer. It still bugs me to this day that I did not pipe up that as a Gen-Xer, The Breakfast Club was the most accurate depiction of what it was like to be a teenager during my time.

Oh, I'm sure kids since, and maybe even today can relate to it too, it's that good a movie, but damn that dropped into theaters at literally the exact time as I was living it.
The following users liked this post:
cultshock (05-25-24)
Old 05-24-24, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,346 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Many years ago I took a film class after the local community college, just for fun, and we watched The Graduate. The instructor, a boomer, said it was the defining movie of her generation. The class was mostly millennials, so she asked if there was a defining movie for that generation as well, and people threw out a few titles but no one really has an answer. It still bugs me to this day that I did not pipe up that as a Gen-Xer, The Breakfast Club was the most accurate depiction of what it was like to be a teenager during my time.

Oh, I'm sure kids since, and maybe even today can relate to it too, it's that good a movie, but damn that dropped into theaters at literally the exact time as I was living it.
That’s an interesting question. I remember my parents talking about The Graduate the same way as a defining movie of their generation. When they were slightly older it was Robert Altman’s M*A*S*H.

I was about 10 years too young to consider The Breakfast Club as “my” generation’s movie. As a kid who went to high school in the 90s I think mine would be American Pie or slightly less culturally impactful, Can’t Hardly Wait as the defining movie for high schoolers of my generation.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 05-24-24 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-25-24, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. I think I was around 17 when I first saw The Graduate, my father was telling me how great of a film it was. I enjoyed it, but it never really spoke to me, it just felt from a different era (duh, it was) and I couldn't connect. I guess the same thing with American Pie, I liked it, but again it didn't really speak to me as I was a bit too "old". But The Breakfast Club? 100% it does!
Old 05-25-24, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Paff

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That’s an interesting question. I remember my parents talking about The Graduate the same way as a defining movie of their generation. When they were slightly older it was Robert Altman’s M*A*S*H.

I was about 10 years too young to consider The Breakfast Club as “my” generation’s movie. As a kid who went to high school in the 90s I think mine would be American Pie or slightly less culturally impactful, Can’t Hardly Wait as the defining movie for high schoolers of my generation.
If were talking in terms of teen comedies for Millenials.... I would put the two you mentioned (at least for me) also Mean Girls and Superbad
Old 05-25-24, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
If were talking in terms of teen comedies for Millenials.... I would put the two you mentioned (at least for me) also Mean Girls and Superbad
If you google defining movie for millennials, two of the top results are Clueless from 1995 and Mean Girls from 2004. So not much range in the themes, but wide range in the years.
Old 05-25-24, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
If you google defining movie for millennials, two of the top results are Clueless from 1995 and Mean Girls from 2004. So not much range in the themes, but wide range in the years.
My first thought would've been Clueless fell into the late Gen-X category... but that makes sense too. I guess I thought it was older than it actually is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.