Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Watchers (2024, D: I Night Shyamalan) - S: D. Fanning

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-24, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

From producer M. Night Shyamalan comes “The Watchers,” written and directed by Ishana Night Shyamalan and based on the novel by A.M. Shine.

The film follows Mina, a 28-year-old artist, who gets stranded in an expansive, untouched forest in western Ireland. When Mina finds shelter, she unknowingly becomes trapped alongside three strangers who are watched and stalked by mysterious creatures each night. You can’t see them, but they see everything.

“The Watchers” stars Dakota Fanning (“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” “Ocean’s Eight”), Georgina Campbell (“Barbarian,” “Suspicion”), Oliver Finnegan (“Creeped Out,” “Outlander”) and Olwen Fouere (“The Northman,” “The Tourist”). The film is produced by M. Night Shyamalan, Ashwin Rajan and Nimitt Mankad. The executive producers are Jo Homewood and Stephen Dembitzer. Joining writer/director Shyamalan behind-the-camera are director of photography Eli Arenson (“Lamb,” “Hospitality”), production designer Ferdia Murphy (“Lola,” “Finding You”), editor Job ter Burg (“Benedetta,” “Elle”) and costume design by Frank Gallacher (“Sebastian,” “Aftersun”). The music is by Abel Korzeniowski (“Till,” “The Nun”). New Line Cinema presents “The Watchers,” set to open in theaters internationally beginning 5 June 2024 and in North America on June 7, 2024; it will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Old 02-27-24, 12:46 PM

Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts
Re: The Watchers (2024, D: I Night Shyamalan) - S: D. Fanning

The movie takes place in the distant future and the main characters are clones of "ancient" humans living in a zoo.
Old 02-27-24, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by HeIsTheZissou
The movie takes place in the distant future and the main characters are clones of "ancient" humans living in a zoo.

Old 02-27-24, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 860 Likes on 631 Posts

I feel old M. Night's daughter is a director now.
Old 02-28-24, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by HeIsTheZissou
It's based on a book so if there's a twist it should be out there on the internet.
Old 02-28-24, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It's based on a book so if there's a twist it should be out there on the internet.
There is a twist in the book. The whole story wasn't very good. My expectations are not high for the movie.
Old 04-22-24, 11:34 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Old 06-06-24, 08:33 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

This is out starting tonight.
Old 06-07-24, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I just saw a matinee. I'd give it between a B- and C+

Dakota was good and it had a lot of creepy moments. Not everything made sense. There is no big "Twist" Just a plot reveal that I think most of you could figure out.

I did think the ending kind of weak. I consider this more of a suspense thriller than actual horror movie. It's a promising debut for M Night's daughter. She definitely has an eye for the camera. This kind of movie is probably not going to appeal to a lot of you. So it won't surprise me if there isn't much reaction in this thread in the days ahead.
Old 06-07-24, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 515 Likes on 338 Posts

I was hesitant to share my thoughts because I don't like being overly negative, but I thought this was terrible. The direction was perfunctory. None of the scenes had a feeling of wonder, or mystery, or excitement, they were all on the same bland note. The dialogue was unnatural, everything is "They're the one we call The Watchers!", "This was left by the one we call The Professor!", "We call this place The Coop!".
Old 06-09-24, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, not worth it. Once they tell you about the watchers I sorta tuned out. But it's a first movie, and not everyone's first movie is a home run, so I'm curious to see what Ishana does next.