Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune: Part Two (2024, D: Villeneuve) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Dune: Part Two?
15.63%
31.25%
34.38%
12.50%
3.13%
3.13%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest
0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Dune: Part Two (2024, D: Villeneuve) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,161 Likes on 907 Posts
Re: Dune: Part Two (2024, D: Villeneuve) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2
I never read the books but felt like the first movie took a rewatch to really grasp everything that was going on with the Bene Gesserit getting in the good graces with all the families and planting seeds of their "prophecy" throughout the universe and with the freman over numerous centuries.

A lot was just getting familiar with the names of the planets, rulers, and people and their weird ass names. Not sure that'll apply to Part 2 or not yet.
I liked the first movie more upon my second watch and that made me think I’d like the sequel more. I’ll probably watch it again but as it stands.. meh. I could really take or leave this franchise.

Not that I don’t want to enjoy them. I really do but something with them to me feels like there’s a disconnect. Well made movies with amazing visuals and great acting so technically well made. Maybe just not for me.
Old 03-13-24, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 461 Likes on 316 Posts

Finally saw this on IMAX Monday night (was waiting for a friend to get back from vacation)... Fantastic. I never read the books (or saw any of the previous versions) so any of the changes from the books don't affect my enjoyment.

Glad I rewatched the first one as I'd forgotten a lot of it.
Old 03-13-24, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts

Glad to see so many non book readers enjoying the movie. Bodes well for it's staying power.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
Abob Teff (03-13-24), B.A. (03-24-24), Giantrobo (04-03-24)
Old 03-13-24, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,650 Posts

This movie is not a big popular IP movie that will draw pages and pages of analysis and discussion. But it seems like for this forum at least, the majority who saw it enjoyed it.
The following users liked this post:
story (03-16-24)
Old 03-16-24, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,266 Likes on 844 Posts

It's a fantasticallly well crafted blockbuster. Here's a long ass, but very interesting article:

Dune Two Little

How can a movie be so big and, at the same time, so small?

https://slate.com/culture/2024/03/du...fferences.html

story (03-16-24)
Old 03-16-24, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Caught this on a weeknight on IMAX. Like others have said, a solid 4/5 but let's pump the brakes on the masterpiece talk. It's an impressive achievement and should receive a lot of technical awards and maybe a 6-10 Best Pic nomination. In the process of reading the book and will definitely see this again in the next few weeks - would love to see more movies and some mini series continue to explore this universe.
Old 03-16-24, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I rewatched Part One last night as I hadn't seen it since its initial release. Visually interesting but still slow and boring. This was more of the same. I just don't care that much about Paul and they spend a LOT of time on a pretty standard "hero's journey". I realize that Dune as a book has been around before a lot of other "hero's journey" stories, but it just leaves me feeling cold. I don't really care about any of it - and desert planets are always so boring to me in movies. It's like having a dirt planet.

And for as oppressive as the heat is supposed to be, the stillsuits take ALL of that away. I'm reading a book series right now that takes place miles underground, which gets very hot the closer you get to the center of the earth. They have protective suits but the slightest tear and they've got 200 degree heat pouring in and people are collapsing and dying because of it. It's like being in space and getting a tear in your suit. It just feels so much more tangible than what Dune presents.

One thing that made me laugh is that they send 20 Fremen against the spice harvester and a bunch of them die and there's this big sequence of Paul and Chani taking out the ornithopter and then two dudes pop up out of the sand a half a mile away and use a handheld laser to cut the harvester in half . Let's use that laser first, guys. In fact, rather than running at each other with swords like we're in Braveheart, just swipe that laser through the crowd and kill everyone before they can take a step toward you. They really should have cranked down the power on those things.

Last edited by Draven; 03-16-24 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-16-24, 05:06 PM

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,156 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
It's a fantasticallly well crafted blockbuster. Here's a long ass, but very interesting article:
That is a very good read and is a reminder that nothing in the novel, the film, or the real world is simple. That includes both in terms of philosophy and practicality.

I'll add, too, since this isn't a political forum that the article gets quite political at times, FYI.
eXcentris (03-17-24)
Old 03-16-24, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I rewatched Part One last night as I hadn't seen it since its initial release. Visually interesting but still slow and boring. This was more of the same. I just don't care that much about Paul and they spend a LOT of time on a pretty standard "hero's journey".
I think Herbert was way more intellectual than even he suspected. I read the first 6 books a couple years ago, and I don't think even Herbert cared whether people cared about Paul. I didn't care that much. In fact it wasn't really until book 5 that I found characters that I was emotionally invested in. Still fascinating books, great reading, and I loved the series as a whole.

I'm not super motivated to see Dune 2 until it comes out on digital. Sorry Denis!
Old 03-16-24, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I'll add, too, since this isn't a political forum that the article gets quite political at times, FYI.
Yes, it does.

It's been a long time since I've read the Dune novels; it was in either junior high or high school, and I don't really remember all of the stuff the author of the article brings up. Mostly, Dune seemed kind of sort of left-leaning with the ecological themes and a critique of our petroluem-based energy diet. Makes me curious to re-read it and see if it plays an differently.

About the only thing I know about Frank Herbert's personal beliefs is that he was not a fan of Iron Maiden...
Giantrobo (04-03-24)
Old 03-17-24, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 291 Likes on 183 Posts

That was good. Good example of a sequel that exceeds the original. I'm still not entirely clear on the who what where why, but it's well acted and the action had an epic feel to it
Old 03-17-24, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

I'm not as steeped in Dune lore as everyone else but I did read the first two books around Christmas before watching both films (late to the party on the first movie). So even though I didn't grow up on Dune I do feel reading it first was a huge help and greatly enhances the viewing experience. So far, this is a phenomenal series to me. The casting has been top notch. Although, Bautista going all Kylo Ren in this was pretty awkward, and Walken doing Walken things was disappointing. Javier Bardem was especially a highlight for me. He just embodied Stilgar and stole every scene he was in.

It would have been great to see everything JoeB listed but they'd be pushing this into trilogy territory with the runtime.
Spiderbite (03-17-24)
Old 03-24-24, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

This was excellent

I will enjoy watching it for years to come

(My daughter said it was the best movie she has ever seen.)
Old 04-03-24, 09:04 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I think this comes out on digital in 2 weeks, April 16. Looking forward to seeing it again.
Old 04-03-24, 09:16 AM

Received 461 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I think this comes out on digital in 2 weeks, April 16. Looking forward to seeing it again.
Looks to be speculation... Apparently there was also an April Fool's joke on Monday that it was coming out on April 2nd.
Old 04-03-24, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

April 16th is 45 days post release, there's no guarantee on that date.
IBJoel (04-03-24)
Old 04-03-24, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

About the only thing I know about Frank Herbert's personal beliefs is that he was not a fan of Iron Maiden...
OMG I just watched a video about this Herbert vs Iron Maiden over the weekend. I had forgotten about this battle.
Old 04-05-24, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Definitely enjoyed this film a bit more than Part One.

Still trying to make time to see it again in IMAX.
Old 04-08-24, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,650 Posts

IMAX run has been extended.

Old 04-08-24, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 681 Posts

I saw this for a second time the other day and the same thing stood out to me as it did on my first viewing. Maybe some of you Dune nerds can explain it.

They make such a big deal about riding the sand worm and it appears to be hard as shit, even for an expert. Just one person landing on one, steering it and keeping your balance as the sucker dives through mounds of sand.

So nearly right after Paul rides his worm, suddenly they have an entire caravan of people riding on one like it is a bus. How the fuck were they able to get all those people on one? They even have little tents set up on them! They never show the worms just sitting still doing nothing and I assume they don't have a transit system with a wormstop where you can just get on easily.

Which brings me to my next question that is not addressed in the movie...how the fuck do you get off of one? They don't appear to ever stop. And how the hell do you get an entire crowd of people safely off of one?

Those two questions bug me more than anything else in the movie.
Old 04-08-24, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
They make such a big deal about riding the sand worm and it appears to be hard as shit, even for an expert. So nearly right after Paul rides his worm, suddenly they have an entire caravan of people riding on one like it is a bus. How the fuck were they able to get all those people on one? They even have little tents set up on them! They never show the worms just sitting still doing nothing and I assume they don't have a transit system with a wormstop where you can just get on easily. And how the hell do you get an entire crowd of people safely off of one?
That did occur to me, but I chalked it up to Paul having "tamed" the worm or somesuch. As for the rest--(waves hand) "suspension of disbelief."

Old 04-08-24, 06:28 PM
Cool New Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I'm very excited about this because I just saw this yesterday and missed in IMAX.
Old 04-14-24, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
April 16th is 45 days post release, there's no guarantee on that date.
Welp I was wrong, this is out Tuesday.
jeffkjoe (04-15-24)
Old 04-16-24, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Having seen this three times in Imax now, this has risen to my film to beat this year. Still working on the book, but I still don't understand how Paul survived what looked like a pretty fatal stab wound?
Old 04-17-24, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,052 Posts

$30 bucks to buy it digitally? lol, no, Apple, that's not happening.

I might wait for a $9.99 price to complete the set but I have no problems waiting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.