Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Evil Dead Film (D: Vaniček)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 01:47 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: After signing rising filmmaker Sébastien Vaniček, CAA has helmed him win a coveted assignment, as the co-writer and director of a new spin-off of the Evil Dead franchise for Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert’s Ghost House Pictures.

Details as to the film’s plot are under wraps. The Evil Dead is of course the horror comedy franchise created by Raimi, going back to 1981’s same-name film starring Bruce Campbell as Ash Williams, a combatant of various supernatural entities. That pic grew into a trilogy, also spurring the creation of Starz TV series Ash vs. Evil Dead and a number of other projects over the years. The most recent, standalone film Evil Dead Rise from writer-director Lee Cronin, grossed more than $147M worldwide last year when it hit theaters via Warner Bros, after world premiering at SXSW.

Vaniček made his feature directorial debut last year with Infested (Vermines), a horror pic first introduced as part of the Critics’ Week sidebar at the Venice Film Festival. Watching as the residents of a rundown French apartment building battle against an army of deadly, rapidly reproducing spiders, the film won Best Picture and Best Director in its North American premiere at Fantastic Fest, and was also invited to the Sitges Film Festival, where it earned a nomination for Best Motion Picture and won a Special Jury Prize.

Other credits for Vaniček include the shorts Crocs, Mayday, and 299 792 458 M/S. He continues to be represented by Carla Zeller and Elsa Huisman at Studio 112, the French management company that works with top European artists including directors’ collective La Horde, contemporary artist Claire Tabouret, and Les Misérables helmer Ladj Ly.
https://deadline.com/2024/02/evil-de...aa-1235815331/
Old 02-05-24, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Re: Untitled Evil Dead Film (D: Vaniček)

Spoiler:

Groovy.
Old 02-05-24, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 651 Likes on 396 Posts

In Evil Dead Rise it it said that there are three books of the dead so it would be cool if they made another after this new one and connected all three.
Old 02-05-24, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

I like how this franchise is evolving. Sure, I'd love if Campbell came back in one of these, but I can't complain about what we've had so far. My only request, beyond thematic and lore links, never connect any of these movies together. It makes for a nice horror anthology if the characters never cross over.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-05-24 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-06-24, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Rise is my Favorite Evil Dead film................so keep them coming.

EDIT: I also hope this series never goes back to its comedy roots either.

Last edited by Rival11; 02-06-24 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-06-24, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rival11

EDIT: I also hope this series never goes back to its comedy roots either.
To be fair, although the franchise is known for comedy thanks to Evil Dead 2, Army Of Darkness, and Ash VS Evil Dead, the first entry was a straight horror flick. Any laughs in that one were unintended, so I would argue the fourth and fifth films were a return to its roots. Also, I love the gallows humour of Evil Dead Rise.
Old 02-06-24, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
In Evil Dead Rise it it said that there are three books of the dead so it would be cool if they made another after this new one and connected all three.
There were also three books in Army of Darkness, so I took it to be referencing the scene in that other movie.
Old 02-06-24, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rennervision
There were also three books in Army of Darkness, so I took it to be referencing the scene in that other movie.
You are correct, per Den Of Geek:

Evil Dead Rise director Lee Cronin admitted to Den of Geek he got the idea from a shot in Army of Darkness, in which Ash finds the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis alongside two other books. In his head canon, this pointed to three different Books: the Naturom Demonto, the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis, and the Book of the Dead.

Rise involves the last of those three, which Cronin called the “bastard cousin” of the other two, thanks to its Celtic, instead of Sumerian or Egyptian, aspects. “They might have slightly different edges to them in terms of what they can do, and there’s a little subtle change or two to the incantations,” Cronin explained. More importantly, the three books “open up the door for more
Evil Dead stories moving forward by changing it up.”
Old 02-07-24, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 418 Likes on 280 Posts

Too soon. I wish they’d spread these out a little like they did between the remake and Rise. For me this is still the perfect franchise. 5 movies and a tv series and no dud in sight. I’m afraid they’ll just start cranking them out.
Old 02-07-24, 07:10 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Too soon. I wish they’d spread these out a little like they did between the remake and Rise. For me this is still the perfect franchise. 5 movies and a tv series and no dud in sight. I’m afraid they’ll just start cranking them out.
This is what Campbell said now:

“I think the stories will progress a little more now. We’re going to try and do them more like every two or three years rather than every 10 years. It’s also the first time Sam is working with his brother Ivan to create an overall Bible that will give future writers and directors an idea of where this thing should go next to potentially tie in some of these stories.

So I think it’s going to get a little more tied in as the years go by. But because it’s all about the books. It could be a book in the past, a book in the future. It’s yet to be determined."
Old 02-08-24, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
To be fair, although the franchise is known for comedy thanks to Evil Dead 2, Army Of Darkness, and Ash VS Evil Dead, the first entry was a straight horror flick. Any laughs in that one were unintended, so I would argue the fourth and fifth films were a return to its roots. Also, I love the gallows humour of Evil Dead Rise.
True, but it's things like Ash burying people and making wood stick crosses for tombstones that elevate it to a comedy and that was obviously Rami's intention.